Will KLS break KML's made 3s? | The Boneyard

Will KLS break KML's made 3s?

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
I've to admit, among all the basketball skills, the 3-pt. shot is my favorite. There is nothing more aesthetically pleasing to watch a ball, launched from downtown, travelling in a beautiful arch and dropping into the net with a swish. I'd also submit that no one in WCBB at present shoots the 3 as smoothly and gracefully as KLS, especially when she shoots in transition in rhythm (I recall there have been some threads discussing KLS's shooting form in the past, but am too lazy to search for them).

In any case, I've always thought one record KLS could easily snatch during her UCONN career would be the number of made 3s. However, her injuries this season, which caused her to miss 5+ games in playtime, have put that in slight jeopardy. KML finished her UCONN career with 398 made 3s; KLS so far has 256. Making a reasonable but slightly conservative estimate that she will have 100 made 3s next season (assuming no major injury but allowing for an inevitable missed game here and there), she will have to have at least 43 made 3s for the remainder of this season, or an average of 3+ per game (assuming UCONN goes all the way), to break KML's record. It is clearly doable, but no longer as assured as before.

It will certainly be a major disappointment to me if KLS fails to grab this record.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I wouldnt be... KML 3's were timely, huge ones.... some also considered her a liability to a certain degree but the "Lewis Launch was a thing of beauty!
Kaleena+Mosqueda+Lewis+FMbaQQ2P4jxm.jpg

Reaction Score
I've to admit, among all the basketball skills, the 3-pt. shot is my favorite. There is nothing more aesthetically pleasing to watch a ball, launched from downtown, travelling in a beautiful arch and dropping into the net with a swish. I'd also submit that no one in WCBB at present shoots the 3 as smoothly and gracefully as KLS, especially when she shoots in transition in rhythm (I recall there have been some threads discussing KLS's shooting form in the past, but am too lazy to search for them).

In any case, I've always thought one record KLS could easily snatch during her UCONN career would be the number of made 3s. However, her injuries this season, which caused her to miss 5+ games in playtime, have put that in slight jeopardy. KML finished her UCONN career with 398 made 3s; KLS so far has 256. Making a reasonable but slightly conservative estimate that she will have 100 made 3s next season (assuming no major injury but allowing for an inevitable missed game here and there), she will have to have at least 43 made 3s for the remainder of this season, or an average of 3+ per game (assuming UCONN goes all the way), to break KML's record. It is clearly doable, but no longer as assured as before.

It will certainly be a major disappointment to me if KLS fails to grab this record.
I think it will be broken. KML had injuries also and missed plenty of time.

Reaction Score
Records are made to be broken. If Lou does or doesnt break it would be more important after she leaves Uconn. The way Players are measured in Storrs now. How many NCs did you win KML 3 to Lou 1!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I was looking at this the other day, trying to add up the numbers. It will be close. It will be a fun one to follow next year. Also see how far up the career points she gets.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This year Lou's averaging 2.95 threes/game. Assuming she has about 50 games left, that's 147 more threes, just enough to break the record.

As Myers said, it'll be close.

And Lou still has a shot at three championships.

Reaction Score
I certainly get the aesthetics and drama of the 3. But in the end, points are points. If the shooting percentage isn't there as well, then it's far less important record. So, what's the difference in shooting percentage between Lou and KML?

Reaction Score
Lou's game has changed over the past two years. She is scoring in many different ways now and her 3 point basket attempts have decreased from last year.

15-16 she scored 230 points (9.2 average), made 78 out of 198 (.395%) 3 point basket an averaged 5.2 3 point basket attempts a game.
16-17 she scored 747 points (20.2 average), made 119 out of 283 (.420%) 3 point basket attempts an averaged 7.6 3 point basket attempts a game.
17-18 she has scored 360 points (18.0 average), made 59 out of 124 (.476%) 3 point basket attempts an average of 6.2 3 point basket attempts a game.

So although her made basket average is up this year, her attempts per game are down. But the good news is that over her past six games, she has made 24 3 point baskets, an average of 4 per game. If she can keep this up and with a possible 13 games left in the season she could pass the 300 mark this year. I have to say that I really enjoyed watching both KLM and KLS shoot the 3 and I really don't know who is the better shooter. Just feel privileged that I have been able to enjoy watching them both in their UCONN careers.

Reaction Score
cbraarj, yes really. There are plenty of individual athletes with much bigger numbers than the Huskies who never get near a title. Kelsey Mitchell anyone. However, the team is why UConn has won 11 championships. Last year was the first year that two Huskies averaged at least 20 points per game in the same season. Playing as a team wins championships. Kaleena would tell you as much.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Regarding scoring, I think Lou passes the cluster of Kaleena, Nykesha, and Kerry and probably passes Tina. She has a chance at Stewie’s total. Maya’s 3,036 is out of reach.

In terms of 3-pointers, Kelsey Mitchell’s NCAA record may not be approached for a long time. Kaleena’s UConn record (and 2nd place in NCAA stats) is possibly within reach. I’d like to see Lou finish with exactly 398.

As noted, Lou has missed some games: 5 or so this year and the NC game of her first year. Kaleena missed about 12 games due to her elbow injury and mono. Both are highly unfortunate, but not uncommon.

As I observed in another post, Kaleena was 1 FT away in each of her sophomore and senior years from being a 50/40/90 shooter. Maybe Lou can achieve that.

My opinion is that Lou is making/has made herself into the best all-around player in the nation. I think she should be the #1 draft pick next year.

In terms of career records and games lost due to injury or illness, our greatest scorer played in all 154 career games, scored in double-figures in all but a handful, and helped her team win 150 times. Maya is Cal Ripken.

Reaction Score
Lou's game has changed over the past two years. She is scoring in many different ways now and her 3 point basket attempts have decreased from last year.

15-16 she scored 230 points (9.2 average), made 78 out of 198 (.395%) 3 point basket an averaged 5.2 3 point basket attempts a game.
16-17 she scored 747 points (20.2 average), made 119 out of 283 (.420%) 3 point basket attempts an averaged 7.6 3 point basket attempts a game.
17-18 she has scored 360 points (18.0 average), made 59 out of 124 (.476%) 3 point basket attempts an average of 6.2 3 point basket attempts a game.

So although her made basket average is up this year, her attempts per game are down. But the good news is that over her past six games, she has made 24 3 point baskets, an average of 4 per game. If she can keep this up and with a possible 13 games left in the season she could pass the 300 mark this year. I have to say that I really enjoyed watching both KLM and KLS shoot the 3 and I really don't know who is the better shooter. Just feel privileged that I have been able to enjoy watching them both in their UCONN careers.

I am a supporter of Lou's game for sure. That said, no one that I have ever seen has as sweet of a stoke as KML from 3 point land. As much as I think we like records broken this is one that I am not as interested in and think Bags27 brings out a good point regarding 3pt% needs to be close for the record to carry weight. I actully get more excited about the development of Lou's overall game.

The best part of your post to me is the consistent improvement in KLS' shooting percentage every year. (Although last year I think she went through a dry spell that knocked down her % from the area she is shooting now.) Ironically, I think KML's shoot looks like KLS' idol Larry Bird.

For me there are so many factors that will go into next year that I can not even get my head wrapped around on whether Lou will have the attempts needed. If Z is not here Lou may find herself in Gabby's (offensive) role of point forward near the line more than at the Arc. That is for another day/discussion however.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm a great admirer of KML. That 3rd Championship where somehow she latched onto the trophy and wouldn't let it go until the NCAA Pres. needed it to hand to Geno ... I loved that. Yeah, I suspect the record will fall to a healthy KLS, but what a wonderful gift to us fans that we have had them both.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm a great admirer of KML. That 3rd Championship where somehow she latched onto the trophy and wouldn't let it go until the NCAA Pres. needed it to hand to Geno ... I loved that. Yeah, I suspect the record will fall to a healthy KLS, but what a wonderful gift to us fans that we have had them both.
I believe that KML hit our last 3 shots late in the NC that were daggers. It was vintage Kaleena—taking and making the clutch shots. Four years earlier, she personally outscored Berkeley in the second half to get Mater Dei the State championship. I like Lou’s shot, but the “Lewis Launch” was legendary.

Reaction Score
Individual stats are only for players without championship rings and KML grabbed one of those for UConn in the ND game; but I would like it if KML kept the record

Reaction Score
I think Lou is the better shooter, and scores in more different ways than Kaleena ever did. That's part of why she will have the much better post-UConn career. She'll be a star in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't and that in my mind is totally ok. KML will always be one of my favorite huskys. KLS though has developed a much more diverse game than KML and if that continues she very well may not break that record.

Reaction Score
cbraarj, yes really. There are plenty of individual athletes with much bigger numbers than the Huskies who never get near a title. Kelsey Mitchell anyone. However, the team is why UConn has won 11 championships. Last year was the first year that two Huskies averaged at least 20 points per game in the same season. Playing as a team wins championships. Kaleena would tell you as much.
Stop because you are making yourself look bad, lol!

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I appreciate your enjoyment of the beauty of the arching 3 that just tickles the net that has become Lou's signature. Another play involving Lou is why I watch hoops and specifically UConn. It was the transition assist Gabby threw to Lou after the long pass from Kia. Lou was sprinting full speed and there was about a 12 inch window to hit with a 17 inch ball. In less than a second Gabby let fly and Lou caught it perfectly for the layup. Pure grace, the harmony of the play just amaze me.

Reaction Score
During the post game interviews after Louisville Game, Lou was asked if she "thought she staked her claim for NPOY based on her performance in that game. If you all saw that, her response... a Chuckle, followed by "I haven't even thought about that...this year it's all about TEAM...especially after the way last year ended."... (or words to that effect). She is focused on winning the National Championship and doing everything SHE can to make that happen.

As for the UConn 3pt record... I suspect Lou would say breaking the record doesn't matter to her...but I...as a Fan...would love to see her do it. I have enjoyed watching her play since she was a Freshman...and am really happy with the way her game has developed...offensively and defensively. She has become a complete player....an someone who will battle, black eyes and all, to bring another NC to Storrs!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom