Will it be about Azzi, or scoring balance for the Huskies? | The Boneyard

Will it be about Azzi, or scoring balance for the Huskies?

Reaction Score
I was interested in Azzi's press scrum today that she was surprised when a reporter informed her that Lou has taken just four shots each of the two tournament games. I imagine she'd be just as interested in these stats:

Through two games, Azzi is 4 of 20 from three and 11 of 32 overall; Caroline is 4 of 6 from three and 8 of 10 overall; Lou is 2 of 3 from three and 5 of 8 overall.

So, for two games, Azzi is 11 of 32 and has produce 27 points. Caroline and Lou combined are 13 of 18 for 38 points.

Azzi also shot poorly in the Big East tournament, but that more understandable given her long layoff. Now? Five games in, rust should not be a factor.

I know of Azzi's exquisitely beautiful shooting form, her tendency toward occasional hot streaks, her reputation and her potential, all of those things. I love her as a classy, poised young woman and hope she proves to be a great Huskies player.

But she is not that yet, and I just fear the Huskies might bow out of the tournament somewhere along the way with Azzi firing away while Lou and Caroline, and UConn fans everywhere, watch and wonder why. Please, Azzi, show us how and why everyone's placed so much faith in you.

Reaction Score
I said it before that without Paige, this team needs November Azzi and January Lou to have any chance of winning it all. You get that plus the way Dorka and Aaliyah have been playing, and what Aubrey and Caroline provide off the bench, and this team will be damn near impossible to beat.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
UConn is most dangerous when there is balanced scoring.

All starters and the two primary subs are a threat on any night to score double figures. That forces opponents to play straight up defense. No gimmick ones.

Azzi's presence on the court changes UConn for the better. She doesn't need to bomb away from 3. She is more deadly when she shoots the mid range jumper or drives the lane. She can score 20+ without a ton of 3's.

Play within the flow of the game. This team is loaded with scorers.

Reaction Score
Through two games, Azzi is 4 of 20 from three and 11 of 32 overall; Caroline is 4 of 6 from three and 8 of 10 overall; Lou is 2 of 3 from three and 5 of 8 overall.

But she is not that yet, and I just fear the Huskies might bow out of the tournament somewhere along the way with Azzi firing away while Lou and Caroline, and UConn fans everywhere, watch and wonder why.
Please, Azzi, show us how and why everyone's placed so much faith in you.
Totally on point. I trust Geno, the staff, and the team to recognize this. Balance and distribution will be the key not only tomorrow but to continue.

Reaction Score
The presence of Azzi opens up the floor creating space for inside and outside shooting from the rest. Azzi will get her points but I would bet that there will be once again 4 players in double figures.

Reaction Score
Lou has been injured and was nursing a knee injury last weekend. Hopefully that’s healed up a bit but that’s a big factor in her shots.

What’s missed in this is Azzi has also played a lot more minutes than Caroline and Lou in the last two games. And the team has intentionally been looking to get her going. Also while she hasn’t been an efficient as she can be I’d be interested to know how many possessions ended with an Azzi miss vs how many Azzi kisses ended with a put back.

Also 5 games isn’t much when you’ve been out over 20 games. I’d expect rust to continue.

But to answer the question we need both balance but also Azzi scoring 25+ to reach our full potential.

Reaction Score
I was interested in Azzi's press scrum today that she was surprised when a reporter informed her that Lou has taken just four shots each of the two tournament games. I imagine she'd be just as interested in these stats:

So, for two games, Azzi is 11 of 32 and has produce 27 points. Caroline and Lou combined are 13 of 18 for 38 points.

Azzi also shot poorly in the Big East tournament, but that more understandable given her long layoff. Now? Five games in, rust should not be a factor.

I know of Azzi's exquisitely beautiful shooting form, her tendency toward occasional hot streaks, her reputation and her potential, all of those things. I love her as a classy, poised young woman and hope she proves to be a great Huskies player.

But she is not that yet, and I just fear the Huskies might bow out of the tournament somewhere along the way with Azzi firing away while Lou and Caroline, and UConn fans everywhere, watch and wonder why. Please, Azzi, show us how and why everyone's placed so much faith in you.
I think Lou is, or has been playing hurt. I think we will see her attempts go up as/if she feels better on court. As for Caroline, I believe hers will increase as well, based on the positive results from her last two games.
Azzi has apparently averaged 16 attempts for the first two games. That doesn’t seem excessive to me. Sure, she hasn’t yet hit her stride with her shot but the only way she will, is to shoot. When (and I fully expect she will) she starts feeling it, she is fully capable of breaking the will of the opposing team.
I am concerned about Lou but am praying that she feels better and is able to play to her full ability tomorrow and beyond. If those three can somehow put together a three game stretch where they all play well, we are going to be very tough to beat.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping Azzi doesn't have to carry the team against Ohio State.......they are not a big team up front nor are they a particularly good rebounding team so I'm hopeful that Aaliya and Dorka will continue their dominant inside play at both ends of the court......Ohio State wants to press but it's harder to press after a missed shot if UConn can control the boards........still I expect a tough and competitive game and I'm sure Azzi will contribute to a win in multiple ways...

Reaction Score
Azzi has an effect on opposing defenses if she shoots. Any coach has to worry that she will suddenly get hot, as she did in the 3rd quarter against Baylor. If she doesn’t shoot, or appears reluctant to shoot, this effect will be diminished, and coaches will pack the paint again. This is why Geno wants her to take 16 shots. The one thing I agree with is that she should take more midrange shots.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I'm fairly sure, based on Geno's own comments, that Azzi has instructions from him to shoot anytime she is open. If she is open enough to get a shot up, but Caroline is wide open in the corner, and Azzi passes to Caroline, Geno will holler at Azzi -- even if Caroline makes the shot.

That's just the way it is, and in Geno's mind he is playing the (long term) percentages. I'm not ready to say he's wrong based on the results of two games.

Reaction Score
With all due respect @The deacon this is a question that should be aimed at Geno and not a player doing what she is told to do. He may have confidence in our O rebounding ability (thus the put back) and trying to bring back her shooting confidence. This to get her back where we all want her and the team to be, in the tournament until the end. ;)

Reaction Score
As we have seen this year, especially when everyone was healthy and Azzi had a few games of 26 plus points, the offense looked great and offensive production totals were balanced. Everyone ate. Azzi played within the structure of the offense and took and made the shots that were there. Everything that they practice, she made those shots.

I forgot what game it was but there was a game where Azzi was struggling with her shot. Coach G wanted her to keep shooting but Azzi knows her game better than anyone and she didn't force a shot and she knew that Lou and Aaliyah had the hot hand going. I believe it was the 2nd half of that same game, Azzi started hitting elbow jumpers, which allowed her to get her rhythm going. Before long, UConn was winning big. Lou and Aaliyah had double digit points. Dorka had double digits. And Aubrey had double digits. The bottom line, UConn, at least this season, isn't just about Azzi. Like others have said, Azzi on the floor makes the defense play attention and it spreads the floor. Azzi helps the team. So she always brings balance to the court. And when UConn goes small ball lineup. It is a joy to watch. When Aaliyah went out because of foul trouble in that Baylor game. UConn went small ball and Baylor was done!

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
There was a time, before UConn hit its February slump, when Muhl’s and Clark’s efficiency were very similar. There shooting percentages were in fact quite similar. Yet no one, not even us diehard Muhl fans, would suggest those two should be shooting at the same volume.

Edit aside: If it’s surprising that Clark should score so much with shooting percentages similar to Muhl back in January, consider how many possessions per game the high octane offense of Iowa generates, thanks to Clark.

Senechal being more efficient than Fudd is nothing new. At the beginning of the year, when Fudd was putting up NPOY numbers, Senechal was shooting better. Maybe Fudd would score 30 points, but Senechal would still score 18, seemingly without missing, which is why UConn fandom took such delightful notice of her from the start.

Senechal should be shooting a little more than she is currently, but she has been hurt. Ducharme comes off the bench because of our unusual season. It has not been smooth sailing. In the smooth sailing version Fudd will and should be the “volume” shooter that draws the attention of defenses, but the others will get theres as well, just as Senechal did at the beginning of the season when she was not hurt.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With all due respect @The deacon this is a question that should be aimed at Geno and not a player doing what she is told to do. He may have confidence in our O rebounding ability (thus the put back) and trying to bring back her shooting confidence. This to get her back where we all want her and the team to be, in the tournament until the end. ;)
Well said, Woof. If Geno would listen to me and care what I said, I'd pass along my opinion.
That seems unlikely.;)

I am in no way addressing this to Azzi, or even hinting that I believe she's a gunner, in old vernacular not heard much these days. I'm sure every bit of what's transpired has been due to Geno's instructions.

I'm simply concerned that, until Azzi shows she's shooting as well as others on her own team, the Huskies do their best in both game plan and on the court to give Lou and Caroline more chances.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts here, even the party line that some offer almost word for word reflecting the media's appraisal of what could be called 'the Azzi effect.'

Along with all of you, I'll be watching today, and hopefully in three more games this season, to see Azzi back to shooting the way she did in November. If she does, the Huskies might well win number 12!:)

Reaction Score

When you return from an injury that effects your lift it takes a while to get your stroke back. I think the reason Geno has her shooting so much is he knows he will need her against a couple teams down the road and he needs to have her ready. I would also point out that Caroline and Lou haven't taken very many difficult shots lately and Azzi has been shooting all of them.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
It'll be about everybody, including Azzi. One or more of Azzi, Aaliyah, Caroline, Lou, Dorka and possibly Aubrey will go off in each game.

Against tOSU, UConn will need Nika, Azzi, Caroline, and Aaliyah breaking the press. I don't remember which opponent it was, but I remember being fascinated that Aaliyah was the most successful in that game getting the ball across the line. If Mikulasikova is covering her, I don't think she'll have any problem replicating that.

Reaction Score
For sure, the offense runs so much better thru her. She is the most cerebral player on that team; she'll figure things out.

Reaction Score
…even the party line that some offer almost word for word reflecting the media's appraisal of what could be called 'the Azzi effect.'
It’s not the party line. We’re just saying what each of us saw with our own eyes in the BE tournament. Perhaps you meant the media picked it up from eavesdropping in the BY.

The fact is the paint is less packed now. It is even worth noting that in the 2nd quarter Baylor decided to pack the paint and ignore the perimeter because they knew they’d lose the game in the paint. And it worked for a little while… until Azzi scored 16 in the 3rd quarter and Aubrey put on her cape and swooped in to grab what seemed like every rebound and loose ball. Then it was back to an open lane and Aaliyah came back in and brought the hammer down.

Reaction Score
Each player on the floor is important. I think with an anticipated up tempo game guard play will be crucial. Limit the turnovers and everything will be fine. Look for AE and Dorka to control the backboards and get the Huskies running. Will need some quality bench play (points) today to.

Reaction Score
Two images. One, Azzi somewhere beyond the 3-point line. Two, Aubrey somewhere beyond the 3-point line. Ignore whatever their actual percentages are. The opposition "perception" is that Azzi might make a shot and that Aubrey might not make a shot. And that perception difference changes the defense's positioning...
Two options. One, Azzi keeps shooting and her percentage doesn't get much better. Two, Azzi passes to teammates, and the defenses begin to realize it.
And the third possibility! She keeps shooting and her percentage goes UP! That will spread the defense even more and balanced scoring will result.

Reaction Score
It’s not the party line. We’re just saying what each of us saw with our own eyes in the BE tournament. Perhaps you meant the media picked it up from eavesdropping in the BY.

The fact is the paint is less packed now. It is even worth noting that in the 2nd quarter Baylor decided to pack the paint and ignore the perimeter because they knew they’d lose the game in the paint. And it worked for a little while… until Azzi scored 16 in the 3rd quarter and Aubrey put on her cape and swooped in to grab what seemed like every rebound and loose ball. Then it was back to an open lane and Aaliyah came back in and brought the hammer down.
Love your line about the media eavesdropping on the BY, Bone Dog.:D

I respect you as an independent thinker, but I do believe there's a type of consensus thought pattern about Azzi that many here have held since before Azzi arrived in Storrs. That's all.

Go, Huskies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
A lot of Azzi’s misses were in the first half against Baylor. She pretty much keyed the 2nd half separation. She is the female version of Jordan Hawkins for the men. She opens up a lot. And Geno is clearly minimizing Lou and Caroline’s floor time right now. Hopefully the little time off has helped them both. As well as Aubrey, for that matter Azzi.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom