Will I get banned from this board if I say "MSU should throw money at Geno"? | The Boneyard

Will I get banned from this board if I say "MSU should throw money at Geno"?

Reaction Score
Thanks. I've been lurking for over a year, just now posting. I'm trying to balance out the MSU fans on here who tick everyone else off by thinking we invented women's basketball. I've been following women's basketball since the days of Clarissa Davis, Dawn Staley, and Lisa Leslie. By the way, Sue Bird was and is my favorite women's basketball player ever.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Thanks. I've been lurking for over a year, just now posting. I'm trying to balance out the MSU fans on here who tick everyone else off by thinking we invented women's basketball. I've been following women's basketball since the days of Clarissa Davis, Dawn Staley, and Lisa Leslie. By the way, Sue Bird was and is my favorite women's basketball player ever.
You’ll find a couple UConn fans that think the same way. The vast majority of all fanbases are just good folk, though.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I dont think there are enough good restaurants in Mississippi as there are in Connecticut. Cracker Barrel and Waffle House do not count in my book.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If I will get banned, then I won't say it.
Ha ha. Good luck with that. Geno already makes a fair piece.

Welcome to the board. Do you have an insight into the MSU fanbase reaction to Vic getting poached? I was shocked. What was he making at MSU? Do you know what the Texas offer was? He was building something special there. I couldn't see him walking away from that.

Reaction Score
Do they even like ( I) talian food in those parts?

Reaction Score

Welcome to the board. Do you have an insight into the MSU fanbase reaction to Vic getting poached? I was shocked. What was he making at MSU? Do you know what the Texas offer was? He was building something special there. I couldn't see him walking away from that.

From what I've gathered (and this is just message board rumors, which I normally don't peddle in, but want to qualify it as such first)...Vic and the Texas AD were discussing this before they announced Aston wasn't going to be renewed, which to me is something you don't do. Also, the tweet with Vic and family giving the "Hook 'Em" sign went out at 2:44pm and supposedly he didn't talk to his girls until after that. If that's the case, I lost a TON of respect for a man that I respected immensely. I hope I'm wrong.

As for salary, he was making over 1.5 million at MSU and our AD is reported as saying we offered to match what UT offered (around $2 million - it was going to be a 5 year deal for $10 million). Vic declined. His parents (elderly) live in Austin. Vic was born in Austin. I think this virus made him evaluate family and wanting to be closer to his own. I'm still pissed at how he left, though.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I've been to several wonderful places in Mississippi: the aforementioned Biloxi-Gulfport area, Hattiesburg, Natchez, Meridian and Tupelo. But I still want to visit Jackson and Vicksburg, as well as the Oxford and Starkville.

Reaction Score
I've been to several wonderful places in Mississippi: the aforementioned Biloxi-Gulfport area, Hattiesburg, Natchez, Meridian and Tupelo. But I still want to visit Jackson and Vicksburg, as well as the Oxford and Starkville.

There are many great restaurants in Mississippi. Some of the best are in hole in the wall places outside the bigger towns and cities. I have travelled all over and you get "regional" cuisine that really can't be replicated outside of those places, usually due to freshness of the food.

Some of the most disappointing food I have gotten was in the northeast and the restaurant goes back 150 years and they served us seafood that wasn't fresh caught. But same place made some of the best rolls I have ever put in my mouth.

Good food can be found a lot of places, just as long as your not at a business convention, that food always seems to suck.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
There are many great restaurants in Mississippi. Some of the best are in hole in the wall places outside the bigger towns and cities. I have travelled all over and you get "regional" cuisine that really can't be replicated outside of those places, usually due to freshness of the food.

Some of the most disappointing food I have gotten was in the northeast and the restaurant goes back 150 years and they served us seafood that wasn't fresh caught. But same place made some of the best rolls I have ever put in my mouth.

Good food can be found a lot of places, just as long as your not at a business convention, that food always seems to suck.
I started to type this same theme earlier, but then I held back.

Maybe it's partly my own bias, but I find that restaurants in smaller cities and towns and in less traveled areas often provide the most delicious and rewarding experiences. My tastes aren't extravagant, but I'm also not a big fan of fast food.

All this food and restaurant talk is making this quarantine even more punishing for me :(

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
1) what a great thread to enter when its lunch time and my stomach is growling :oops:

2) Now Im curious as to what it takes to actually get banned.... not that Im trying to get banned
The rules are tacked to the top of each board.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
That would put a smile on AEH's face. ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Based on the articles I read this morning, it sounds like Texas make Vic “an offer he couldn’t refuse.” Where there’s a will, there’s a way. No doubt Texas sweetened the pot with a contract that paid him more money than he was making at MS, plus it was a chance to go back home.

It was reported that Schaefer is from Austin. It also mentioned that he was trying to wait until Gary Blair retired at Texas A&M. Timing is everything. The timing was right in this case, and Schaefer was the coach they wanted.

Obviously they conceded to all or most of Vic’s wants and needs. When you’ve got the coach on the top of your list on the hook, you reel him in, and get him in the boat using whatever means necessary. Bottom line, they got their man. Everyone that’s a booster or fan of the women's BB program at Texas is elated. They should be. They got a good one.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
To the original question ...
I don't think any university would want to hire a new coach a few years prior to his retirement - no idea when that day will come for Geno, but it is coming. If you want to build a program to last, you want to build it with someone who will be around for at least 10 years and that is I think the outside of Geno's longevity.

And Geno is a Philly guy through and through - not sure how well that would play in the deep south - that is not meant derogatorily, just that culture clash is real - ask TX how well GG did assimilating after they hired her.

I think looking around for a mid-major coach an assistant coach or one of the good DII or DIII coaches is generally better than trying to buy a coach out from a DI program. Dawn Staley was coaching in the A10 before SC hired her. Scott Rueck was in DIII before Oregon State hired him, Kelly Graves was at Gonzaga before Oregon. MsSt hired an assistant coach last time and it turned out really well until a few days ago.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Do you have any clue how much money that would be? Enough to buy a moderately size country! ;):rolleyes: Is Italy a moderately sized country? :)

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score

You are indeed a sly dawg. You didn't say it in your post, so you didn't say it. But it is the title of your thread. Hey, our mods are smarter than that.
But as Husky Nan said you got a ways to go to get to banning material.
Welcome to the BoneYard!

1586205319184.png

Reaction Score
Vic’s parents are both deceased. I do think this has been in the works for a few weeks. It’s just shocking on so many levels. To leave what you’ve built for the team you grew up hating. I think his family wanted to be back in a Texas and they were no longer willing to wait on Gary Blair. I know we were prepared to beat their best offer. The way it’s gone down has been hard on the kids and the fan base—who has done every single thing he asked of them.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of the old joke I heard from our former baseball coach. He disagreed with a call in a game and went out hotter than a firecracker to the home plate umpire.

Coach: "Will you throw me out of the game if I call you a sorry, blind, no good, blankety blank umpire?"
Umpire: "Yes, I will."
Coach: "What if I just THINK that you are?"
Umpire: "Well, I can't throw you out for what you THINK."
Coach: ".........(waits a minute).......Well I think you're a sorry, blind, no good, blankety blank umpire!"

He got tossed.

You are indeed a sly dawg. You didn't say it in your post, so you didn't say it. But it is the title of your thread. Hey, our mods are smarter than that.
But as Husky Nan said you got a ways to go to get to banning material.
Welcome to the BoneYard!

View attachment 52759

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom