Will Hawkins and Diggins get more time before February? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Will Hawkins and Diggins get more time before February?

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I don't understand what people have seen from diggins to be demanding he plays this much. Sure he can dribble better than Hawkins but if you re-watch the central game he was more or less awful. Diggins just isn't ready to play yet.
I haven't seen anything because he doesn't play enough, but what this team needs is a 2nd ball handler. Gaffney is not that guy, probably better as a SG. When he's in alone (no Cole), he dribbles himself in circles and does not have a PG handle on the ball. The offense suffers. My unfounded hope is Diggins could be the backup we need. We could use a guy who's looking to get the ball to open teammates.

Reaction Score
does Jackson deserve to be starting over Hawkins?

In Gaffney's minutes, there is no evidence to say he deserves those minutes. What does he do well?
Diggin's can't play any worse than Gaffney has.

I'm not a big fan of Jackson's either. But against decent teams, Jackson at least gives you more defense and rebounding. And, frankly, dribbles better., But who cares who starts? None of Martin, Jackson or Hawkins is leaving the rotation, and how much any plays any game will depend how much they are contributing.

You've never seen me play basketball. I can play worse than Gaffney. The thought that any player "can't" simply "because" is stupid. Sorry, but it is. Gaffney is a decent back up combo guard. We know he can get to the hoop sometimes. We know he can hit 3s and foul shots at a decent percentage. And he doesn't play defense like a freshman. Is he a true point guard? No, he's not. But he has contributed to plenty of wins over the last two plus years, and until Diggins shows he can contribute to plenty of wins there is no reason to think he should be taking Gaffney's minutes. The fact that Bouknight wasn't inserted into the starting lineup quick enough for you is not a rational reason why Diggins should be starting.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hawkins has gotta change his body language. He makes a mistake and looks miserable
He’s a freshman. Remember Bouk’s in NYC at NBE semi and the 1st round game vs Maryland. And he was the “star” of the team.
As far as PT for Hawkins and Sool- DH would be in a better position had he played both much more earlier this season as well as Johnson

Reaction Score
I doubt Diggins gets a chance this year, I don‘t understand the approach.

Reaction Score
One of the stupidest threads in a while.

As to Hawkins, he has now had plenty of minutes on the floor in our four meaningful games, and he has done literally nothing important with them. Has he shown the potential to be a big time scorer in some of the games against crap teams? Yes. But does he have anything other than press releases to suggest he should take Martin's spot in the lineup? I don't see how a sane person can even ask that question. He is in the rotation, and if and when his play becomes consistently better there is zero reason to think he won't get more minutes.

Does Diggins deserve to be taking minutes from Gaffney? In very limited opportunities there is no evidence to say he has. But at least I understand this silliness because it's just the backup QB syndrome. Until he proves he's not better, some need to assume he is because ... I guess because the coach must be wrong absent demonstrative poof that he's right?
Diggins should get some minutes each game. To suggest that they can’t find 5-8 min a game for him is lazy. Unless he and Hurley have an understanding, I don’t see why he wouldn’t transfer if this continues through the season.

Reaction Score
When is someone in the media going to ask Hurley why Diggins is not getting any minutes?

They afraid to ask. Seems like a quality question.

Reaction Score
When is someone in the media going to ask Hurley why Diggins is not getting any minutes?

Because if they ask, what exactly do you expect Hurley to say? Do you want him to say “guy isn’t good enough?” He won’t say that publicly. This is college. He’s not going to say bad things about players publicly. Do you want him to say “I should but I guess I’m an idiot?” Some of you would feel better if he said that but he’s not going to say that either because right or wrong he won’t believe it?

So what to any of you want him to say that any coach would say? Hurley is trying to win games to the best of his ability. That is his number 1 goal. Not to say bad things about his players publicly so you understand why Diggins isn’t getting minutes.

Reaction Score

He's been very open all preseason and season about how deep the rotation would be and who was in/out of the rotation. There's nothing to ask because there's nothing to say

Reaction Score
Because if they ask, what exactly do you expect Hurley to say? Do you want him to say “guy isn’t good enough?” He won’t say that publicly. This is college. He’s not going to say bad things about players publicly. Do you want him to say “I should but I guess I’m an idiot?” Some of you would feel better if he said that but he’s not going to say that either because right or wrong he won’t believe it?

So what to any of you want him to say that any coach would say? Hurley is trying to win games to the best of his ability. That is his number 1 goal. Not to say bad things about his players publicly so you understand why Diggins isn’t getting minutes.
They asked Hurley about Diggins before the Grambling State game. This is all he said.

Diggins, like Johnson, hasn’t played the past four games.

“He’s gonna probably get some first-half minutes here,” Hurley said of the 6-2 point guard. “What can he do in practice, what can he do in those minutes? Will he prove himself to be somebody we can play over the course of the next couple of weeks ... or down the line?”

Reaction Score
They asked Hurley about Diggins before the Grambling State game. This is all he said.

Diggins, like Johnson, hasn’t played the past four games.

“He’s gonna probably get some first-half minutes here,” Hurley said of the 6-2 point guard. “What can he do in practice, what can he do in those minutes? Will he prove himself to be somebody we can play over the course of the next couple of weeks ... or down the line?”
Nobody is talking about this. We don't see what goes on in practices. All we can go on is his high school accomplishments. Don't get me wrong. I would like to see Sool give RJ a breather. It would be nice to see RJ play some off the ball. Give it time.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Diggins should get some minutes each game. To suggest that they can’t find 5-8 min a game for him is lazy. Unless he and Hurley have an understanding, I don’t see why he wouldn’t transfer if this continues through the season.
Given Diggins helped land Johnson, Hawkins and Clingan, we do not want him even thinking about the portal.

Reaction Score
It's not about starting its about giving somebody a chance and Diggins shows he deserves a chance.
And then at the end of the year we can give everyone a trophy.
This is big time athletics, not the friggin‘ Mansfield 8 year old rec league. Hurley is trying to win. Clearly based on what he sees every single day, he doesn’t think Diggins is ready. He doesn’t think Diggins is a better option than Gaffney. But of course he probably didn’t see Diggins YouTube highlight videos, so he probably doesn’t know as much as some of you guys.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I am really amazed at all the people saying Diggins deserves Gaffney's minutes, he has played 30 min all season. I like Diggins and think he will be a key piece to the future, but he has not shown with his in-game play that he deserves 15+ minutes a game yet. Maybe he should have seen the court more in the early season cupcakes, but that is the past. We are getting to the meat of the schedule now so it is not the time to start experimenting.

Reaction Score
I am really amazed at all the people saying Diggins deserves Gaffney's minutes, he has played 30 min all season. I like Diggins and think he will be a key piece to the future, but he has not shown with his in-game play that he deserves 15+ minutes a game yet. Maybe he should have seen the court more in the early season cupcakes, but that is the past. We are getting to the meat of the schedule now so it is not the time to start experimenting.

We need someone to spot Cole for a few minutes, even 1-2 around a timeout. Slow the offense down for this time. Limit possessions without Cole and get him a breather. Do this 3-4 times a game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom