Will Hawkins and Diggins get more time before February? | The Boneyard

Will Hawkins and Diggins get more time before February?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Bouk didn't start until Polley tore his ACL and the game was January 12.

Hawkins didn't start until Martin got hurt.

Will Hawkins be in the starting rotation when Martin comes back, and will Diggins get half of Gaffney's minutes?

Reaction Score

Will Hawkins be in the starting rotation when Martin comes back, and will Diggins get half of Gaffney's minutes?

Hawkins will not be in the starting lineup--he hasn't been good enough yet. Without injury, Diggins isn't playing. Seems fairly obvious at this point.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Hawkins will not be in the starting lineup--he hasn't been good enough yet. Without injury, Diggins isn't playing. Seems fairly obvious at this point.
It is fairly obvious and that’s the problem.

Reaction Score

No and no. Our coach isn't really into adjustments

Reaction Score
Hawkins needs to gain some confidence, it’ll come. Hes young and learning, tough to put him out there in late game situations defensively. Saw in the WVU game he had two crucial fouls leading to free throws, can’t have that. We’ve seen his upside: coming off the bench for awhile, gaining confidence, and learning how to win will definitely come, we all see it… They do however need to find a way to get Diggins some run. They need another ball handler, really want to see him get into some of these line ups.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I don't understand what people have seen from diggins to be demanding he plays this much. Sure he can dribble better than Hawkins but if you re-watch the central game he was more or less awful. Diggins just isn't ready to play yet.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I don't understand what people have seen from diggins to be demanding he plays this much. Sure he can dribble better than Hawkins but if you re-watch the central game he was more or less awful. Diggins just isn't ready to play yet.
It’s not diggins over Hawkins. It’s diggins over Gaffney

Reaction Score
I believe it's his ranking comming out of high school that most are focused on.

Reaction Score
Figured that's what you were getting at.

I'm not 100% sold on Hawkins as a starter yet. I think he needs 2 good games to boost his confidence, then we can talk.
I think as a freshman the pressure is weighing on him. Many expect him to score every time he touches the ball. Jordan just needs to relax a bit and our guys need to create open space for him. I expect by tournament time he will be much more consistent. Hawkins still might not start but he'll be instant offense and a disruptor on the defensive end.

polycom

Reaction Score
It’s not diggins over Hawkins. It’s diggins over Gaffney

Diggins isn't better than Gaffney at all...it's really not even close. What basketball thing do you think Diggins does better than Gaffney? Examples would be great...

Reaction Score
One of the stupidest threads in a while.

As to Hawkins, he has now had plenty of minutes on the floor in our four meaningful games, and he has done literally nothing important with them. Has he shown the potential to be a big time scorer in some of the games against crap teams? Yes. But does he have anything other than press releases to suggest he should take Martin's spot in the lineup? I don't see how a sane person can even ask that question. He is in the rotation, and if and when his play becomes consistently better there is zero reason to think he won't get more minutes.

Does Diggins deserve to be taking minutes from Gaffney? In very limited opportunities there is no evidence to say he has. But at least I understand this silliness because it's just the backup QB syndrome. Until he proves he's not better, some need to assume he is because ... I guess because the coach must be wrong absent demonstrative poof that he's right?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Diggins isn't better than Gaffney at all...it's really not even close. What basketball thing do you think Diggins does better than Gaffney? Examples would be great...
What does Gaffney do well that warrants him the minutes he gets?

polycom

Reaction Score
What does Gaffney do well that warrants him the minutes he gets?
What he does well is play better Diggins and Cole isn't a super human and has to rest.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
One of the stupidest threads in a while.

As to Hawkins, he has now had plenty of minutes on the floor in our four meaningful games, and he has done literally nothing important with them. Has he shown the potential to be a big time scorer in some of the games against crap teams? Yes. But does he have anything other than press releases to suggest he should take Martin's spot in the lineup? I don't see how a sane person can even ask that question. He is in the rotation, and if and when his play becomes consistently better there is zero reason to think he won't get more minutes.

Does Diggins deserve to be taking minutes from Gaffney? In very limited opportunities there is no evidence to say he has. But at least I understand this silliness because it's just the backup QB syndrome. Until he proves he's not better, some need to assume he is because ... I guess because the coach must be wrong absent demonstrative poof that he's right?
Um he would be starting over Jackson when Martin comes back... He is only starting because Martin is out. With Martin coming back soon, does Jackson deserve to be starting over Hawkins?

In Gaffney's minutes, there is no evidence to say he deserves those minutes. What does he do well?
Diggin's can't play any worse than Gaffney has.

The information about Bouknight was to show that Bouknight didn't start until he was forced to start due to an injury and not because he was the most skilled on the team.

I understand the wording of the title was confusing. I will make it more clear next time.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
From what I have seen Gaffney is currently better at every aspect of the game than Diggins, except handle and maybe on ball defense, but Diggins has not played enough minutes to make that clear. Gaffney also gives the luxury of being able to play both guard positions where Diggins is a true point guard. Diggins time will come.

Reaction Score
The team will need Hawkins to be a solid contributor come tournament time if they expect to make a deep run. I think he will be.

Reaction Score
Nice interior pass for a dunk against Grambling. Seems to be the better ball handler, keeps his head up and doesn't have to back in towards the basket from 30 feet away, but hard to compare the two when Diggins has had so little time on the court.

Reaction Score
i hope diggins does but frankly hawk hasnt been earning it over the last couple games since atlantis. at this rate his PT is going to droppp once martin comes back.

by the end of bouk's frosh year we knew he was about to leave so the rest of this year will be very interesting. huge improvements necessary from hawk if he's gonna be the starting SG on a final 4 team next year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gaffney's not great but he is shooting over 40% from 3 and has a 3:1 assist to turnover ratio. He's a capable backup although not a pg. And this is coming from someone who questioned whether he had high D1 talent early last season. We've got trust our staff on Diggins because we've seen so little of him. The run he got against Grambling did little to answer any questions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom