Will Hartford Athletic ever win a game? | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Will Hartford Athletic ever win a game?

Reaction Score
29-35. Why even bother? Some teams getting 500 a game.
The teams that draw less than a few thousand are invariably the MLS reserve teams. They are being run specifically for development purposes and attendance is irrelevant, as is winning and losing. In fact, I've heard they are going to move down to the third division where it's cheaper to operate. There are several reserve teams in USL League One already and New England just announced they will sponsor one next year.

Reaction Score
The teams that draw less than a few thousand are invariably the MLS reserve teams. They are being run specifically for development purposes and attendance is irrelevant, as is winning and losing. In fact, I've heard they are going to move down to the third division where it's cheaper to operate. There are several reserve teams in USL League One already and New England just announced they will sponsor one next year.

I know. It was a rhetorical question.

They are losing a couple million a year on each team. Losing money is never irrelevant. And I am not sure they are contributing much at all to the senior roster.

I went to some Swope Park Rangers games. There were so few people there I thought they might ask us to suit up and sit on the bench.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So the final answer to the question posed in the OP is: Yes, they will win 8 games. Ending with a nice win in added time tonight.

Reaction Score
Happy to see the renewal prices for Season ticket holders has decreased for supporters and east stand - I have not checked pricing for the west stand seats. While the team didn't do so well, seems like a good first season for the club, albeit not financially, but a foundation to build on. Glad to see so many folks enjoying themselves following this young franchise.

Reaction Score
So the final answer to the question posed in the OP is: Yes, they will win 8 games. Ending with a nice win in added time tonight.

8 wins in 34 league games.

Reaction Score
Players allege poor treatment at Hartford Athletic

Checked in with a buddy of mine at the club - he's validated this and said its much worse. Bruce Mandell just does not produce positive press.

Really have a hard time with this:
Questionable approach to health-related decisions: Multiple players allege that Mandell intervened to prevent injured players from obtaining MRIs, chiropractic services and counseling. Multiple players corroborated this allegation. One player, Tyler David, shared his story which was not a direct corroboration of this allegation. David suffered a hip injury midway through the season. “I was waiting four weeks to get an MRI. Worker’s compensation company told me they weren’t being sent any request for an MRI from the club, so I didn’t get an MRI until later. I later found out that that I had a complete adductor tear and had to get a surgery two weeks later.” David reiterated that he does not know whether the delay was an insurance company error or team error.

This is just plain wrong:
Unfair player fine: Early during the 2019 season, Mandell attempted to fine a player a week’s wages while the player was away from the club for the birth of his child. This was in spite of the fact that a clause was inserted into the player’s contract, specifying that he was to leave mid-August for the birth of his child, and that the club would pay for his flight. Soc Takes reached out to the player for comment and none was received.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't like reading this. At this level I would think having a player-friendly reputation would be desirable for recruiting. Let's hope Mandell gets better at player relations as he's goes along. He's a first year owner, he can improve.

Reaction Score
I actually can’t believe Jimmy Nielsen tolerated that climate. Unless he isn’t the person that I think he is.

Reaction Score
I don't like reading this. At this level I would think having a player-friendly reputation would be desirable for recruiting. Let's hope Mandell gets better at player relations as he's goes along. He's a first year owner, he can improve.

This is not a good sign. If he is cutting corners on stuff like this then he must be losing boatloads of money.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Their primary sponsor is a SPORTS MEDICINE OUTFIT and they're stiffing guys on medical. Yeesh. Mandell is a scumbag.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I saw that, it sucks. I'm putting medic on ignore.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Good on you, medic. I would have been disappointed if you continued to only post the bad news.

Reaction Score
Hartford may or may not outlive the brief lifetimes of many minor league cities’ clubs in the US, but a Southampton partnership and prospective player-lending associated with Jaïdi’s arrival could potentially be helpful.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hartford may or may not outlive the brief lifetimes of many minor league cities’ clubs in the US, but a Southampton partnership and prospective player-lending associated with Jaïdi’s arrival could potentially be helpful.
It couldn't hoit. I read that Tampa has a similar relationship with Norwich and one of Tampa's top players is a Norwich loanee.

I was a little down after that "Bad Stuff About Athletic" blog post came out. I'm going to assume that corrective action was taken on any valid concerns and we move on. But this hire seems to be a home run to me. The only reason Southampton stays in the EPL is because they develop players and HA just brought in their U-23 coach. Are you kidding me? I don't know the USL all that well but this must have opened some eyebrows. It is interesting that the Southampton press release calls it "part of a 12-month secondment" while the HA release makes no mention.

Reaction Score
Particularly in American-English, Southampton’s statement “... wishing Jaïdi well for his spell with Hartford Athletic” is interesting.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Particularly in American-English, Southampton’s statement “... wishing Jaïdi well for his spell with Hartford Athletic” is interesting.
Yes, a spell of 12 months. My brother is already ordering a Southampton scarf.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom