Will Hartford Athletic ever win a game? | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Will Hartford Athletic ever win a game?

Reaction Score
Seems like this is the case every time in Connecticut. You know ... other places get things done on time.
True, but at least it has all the makings of a fine facility. The absurd proposal from Hartford FC to reopen it for a half-million or so (later upped to a million or two with Colt redevelopment funds so they could put in a turf field) would have resulted in, at best, a barely usable dump.

In fact, my only real concern from looking at it is whether the sightlines from the first few rows will be obstructed by the bench shelters. That will only be an issue if they pack the place regularly. Let’s hope.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My lord - just checked out the ticket availability.

They should stop working on the stadium - it’s already a sunk cost. I figured when they got rid of Gina they were broke....

They have mispriced the market so badly i’m embarrassed for them.

Reaction Score
They have mispriced the market so badly i’m embarrassed for them.

I told them this directly as soon as their ticketing price point was announced. They only came down $50 on the supporters end from that feedback but they mispriced it terribly throughout the stadium. Family friendly? not even close. I have heard from a few folks inside the organization that they are already cutting back expenses wherever they can. they knew they would lose money this year and in the years to come, but I think they are bleeding at a rate they did not see coming. Too much arrogance on Bruce Mandells end. They were warned!

Reaction Score
It’s amazing how history repeats itself with nearly every single one of these teams.

The east stand tickets are priced about right. West stand are nearly MLS prices and I think MLS is a little overpriced.

Reaction Score
Holy S#!+!!, $45 for USL games? Fantasyland . . .

Charge $25 for the center sections, $17.50 for the outer sections, and $10 for everything else.
Higher revenue equals better players signed! We do have one of the wealthiest states, anyway. $45 dollar seats are almost sold out for the first game.

Reaction Score
True, but at least it has all the makings of a fine facility. The absurd proposal from Hartford FC to reopen it for a half-million or so (later upped to a million or two with Colt redevelopment funds so they could put in a turf field) would have resulted in, at best, a barely usable dump.

In fact, my only real concern from looking at it is whether the sightlines from the first few rows will be obstructed by the bench shelters. That will only be an issue if they pack the place regularly. Let’s hope.

It was actually a pretty scrappy solution. One that may not look bad in 2-3 years when HA goes under. And we have a recently renovated but dormant stadium. Which statistically is highly probable. Maybe city can move in then.

Reaction Score
Higher revenue equals better players signed! We do have one of the wealthiest states, anyway. $45 dollar seats are almost sold out for the first game.

Not really.

Reaction Score
It was actually a pretty scrappy solution. One that may not look bad in 2-3 years when HA goes under. And we have a recently renovated but dormant stadium. Which statistically is highly probable. Maybe city can move in then.
HA might do fine. They seem to have a fanbase developing.

As much as I hate seeing Salve Regina's colors all over Hartford.

Reaction Score
HA might do fine. They seem to have a fanbase developing.

As much as I hate seeing Salve Regina's colors all over Hartford.

Go to games. Buy tons of mercy and concessions.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

The high school football teams will benefit.

Reaction Score
HCFC didn’t exactly draw all that well this season, who knows if they will stick around to make it next year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I admit I blinked when the prices first came out, I went with the $20. seats. I decided I'm not gonna get hung up on the inside baseball. I'm just going to keep going to games and having fun. Tomorrow seems perfect. Sunny and low humidity, the game's over at 7 so you have time to do something else. If the pre-game party is as fun as the opening night watch party it will be an especially good night.

Reaction Score
HCFC didn’t exactly draw all that well this season, who knows if they will stick around to make it next year.

They’ve never drawn well. It’s not a professional team.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
There was barely anyone working on the stadium for most of the last six months. Small crews, never there on weekends. Totally halfassed.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
What were the prices at the Rent? It sounded like those games were decently attended.

They have to start with cheaper prices to build the fanbase.

The yard goats could charge a bit more for minor league games because their stadium is unreal and they had a large following from New Britain. People were used to minor league baseball . Soccer, not so much.

HA has tons of potential but pricing out families is a death sentence.

Reaction Score
Whether they’ve misjudged the market is TBD but today will be a sell-out. Only about 50 tickets left to sell online (all of the $40 variety).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whether they’ve misjudged the market is TBD but today will be a sell-out. Only about 50 tickets left to sell online (all of the $40 variety).

Yeah they have.

Was fun though. They played well in the 2h. Wish there was more shade.

The Hooker pre party could be 100x better with some simple fixes.

Reaction Score
Paid 25 total on stubhub. Had fun.
1st time at hooker @ colt. I agree on the shade. This white guy got burnt sitting in the GA stands.
Total joke they couldn’t get it ready in time. 11 million?

Biggest crowd they’ll get all year

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
11 million?

$14 million

It doesnt look like $14m of stadium, but in their defense that site itself was a toxic disaster and I'd bet most of the money went to stuff you don't even see.

Reaction Score
Site work always is far more expensive than you estimated. IMHO

Reaction Score
What gives me hope is that it does seem like the club has a bit of a following. The crowd is not just packed with youth soccer teams and guys wearing Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar jerseys. Hopefully ticket prices will be ironed out next season and stadium will continue to be improved down the road - definitely need a canopy over the seats to have that authentic futbol vibe.

Reaction Score
The mention of the canopy is funny, because that’s when I knew the previous renovation group was a bunch of frauds. They had sketches showing stands on all sides with canopies as part of an allegedly $12M plan. There was no way that was going to happen within their budget and it was discouraging that they were able to string the city along for about two years before someone started investigating.

The comment on site work was also on point. It was an 80 year old facility with a field that had settled unevenly and what passed for a foundation beneath the bleachers had been undermined. It required extensive site work before laying the field or putting up the first structural elements. Anyone that believed HC FC’s $400K plan (or even their nearly $2M backup plan that did use public money) was anything but a joke had obviously not seen Dillon in many years. They would have run out of money long before they even got to the decaying bleachers and buildings.

This was not a fancy renovation - as evidenced by the continued use of the finest in 1970s era scoreboard technology. Nonetheless, the city and state now have a viable and code compliant facility that can serve the community for the next couple of decades.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom