Will Hartford Athletic ever win a game? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Will Hartford Athletic ever win a game?

Reaction Score
A Hartford win tonight (@ Memphis) sets up their first ever match v. a MLS side in the next round of the US Open Cup. Still underdogs tonight, but would be great to see them draw either NYC or NE.

I read that all 11 winners tonight will get drawn v a MLS side in the next round of the Cup. Not a fan of that, but I sort of get why they are doing it (travel costs, regionalize the groups to a degree). I still prefer the FA way.
Any chance Hartford can host if they win tonight? I can't imagine an MLS team would expect to draw flies for a game against a USL opponent. I'll bet they could get a decent turnout at the Rent.

About 20 years ago I was in San Francisco on business and saw in the paper that a local semi-pro team, the Seals, was playing the Kansas City Wiz (MLS predecessor to Sporting KC) at USF. I went to the game and had a great time as the Seals beat a KC squad that had Preki, Mark Chung, etc. by a score of 2-1. The other detail I remember is watching the fog climb up the hill from the Pacific. When it arrived at USF's campus, the temperature must have dropped 20 degrees - and it was July.

Reaction Score
I’m pulling for the Floriduh Soccer Soldiers against North Carolina.

Reaction Score
Any chance Hartford can host if they win tonight? I can't imagine an MLS team would expect to draw flies for a game against a USL opponent. I'll bet they could get a decent turnout at the Rent.

About 20 years ago I was in San Francisco on business and saw in the paper that a local semi-pro team, the Seals, was playing the Kansas City Wiz (MLS predecessor to Sporting KC) at USF. I went to the game and had a great time as the Seals beat a KC squad that had Preki, Mark Chung, etc. by a score of 2-1. The other detail I remember is watching the fog climb up the hill from the Pacific. When it arrived at USF's campus, the temperature must have dropped 20 degrees - and it was July.
I believe they could. From wiki:
‘The Fourth Round will take place on June 11 and 12. The Fourth Round will consist of 16 games between the 11 Round 3 winners and the 21 American MLSteams. The teams will be divided into 8 regional groups of 4, with either 1 or 2 round 3 teams. Pairings will be drawn from the 8 groups and announced on May 30. Each Round 3 winner will play an MLS team.’

Cool story about seeing the Seals play. I’ve gotten caught in that fog before. And when it rolls in It comes in quick. You are not exaggerating on the change in temps. It is drastic.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Here's a soccer riddle:

What's better than a day with the CL Final then a tailgate then a live soccer game?

A day with the CL Final then a tailgate then a live soccer game AND a designated driver!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think Hartford got jobbed tonight. But a result against a winning team keeps the momentum going.

Reaction Score
I think Hartford got jobbed tonight. But a result against a winning team keeps the momentum going.
Possibly. I didn’t see the foul on the disallowed corner kick goal, but the ref did whistle it right away so he was looking for something. I’ll have to watch the replay.

They still should have won. It seems like every game they gift a goal to the other side. In this one a defender had an open path at the top of the box to advance the ball. Instead he tried to settle it and accidentally kicked it backwards into the box where it was ultimately fired home for the equalizer. Just depressing.

Reaction Score
Ha Ha!

Look Butchy! Get mad bro.

Waaaaaa! They stole the Whalers! Waaaa! So let's make our other minor league teams wear the same colors! Waaaaa!

Thank you for validating how stupid this is.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Possibly. I didn’t see the foul on the disallowed corner kick goal, but the ref did whistle it right away so he was looking for something. I’ll have to watch the replay.
My buddy called it. He said the ref had already decided to call a foul before they put the kick in play. Which is just what happened. He also let go a blatant takedown in the area.

Reaction Score
A draw at home against a good team is nothing to be ashamed of.

If they can get out of last and pass SPR that would be nice. Wondering what the hell happened to SPR, they used to be pretty boss.

Reaction Score
Here's a soccer riddle:

What's better than a day with the CL Final then a tailgate then a live soccer game?

A day with the CL Final then a tailgate then a live soccer game AND a designated driver!

did not make it out after the final - planned on going to the rent but the celebrations took a turn and we partied the night away. DD was KEY!!!!!!

Reaction Score
HCFC lost 5-1 to the Cosmos, and now finds themselves with a 5-game winless streak. Will HCFC ever win a game again?

Reaction Score
Notice how seamlessly the Whaler dude is incorporated into the group. It's sort of a "Where's Waldo" moment.

D8Pii2IXsAA1-fy.jpg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm getting a kick watching the Argentina game listening to the same color commentator that did the last Athletic away game.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hartford wins again! Two wins, two draws and a loss since they came home.

Reaction Score
Pretty solid game last night against a team with an excellent record coming in (5 wins and 4 draws in 10 games). Nice crowd (5,100) considering the home squad was still holding up the rest of the table. Amazingly enough, HA is only 4 points out of the last playoff spot. The East is pretty much divided into haves and have nots and the last playoff spot (10th place) goes to the highest “have not.” With a favorable schedule and an improving team that’s well within reach - maybe even better.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why not? St. Louis was one of the "haves" (96 places above HA in the Global rankings) and they didn't look better than Athletic. According to 538, HA went from a 4% chance of making the playoff to 6% after the win!

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

They managed to miss a 2h penalty - lead 2-1 and still lose. That’s a Hartford team for sure.

I saw the stadium on Friday... not exactly move in ready.

How much money are they losing at Rentschler. Must be a bloodbath.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom