Will Clingan and Karaban split the freshman of the year vote? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Will Clingan and Karaban split the freshman of the year vote?

Reaction Score
That's my fear. Whitmore wins because Alex and Donovan siphon off each other's voters.
What does that even mean, siphoning each others votes?? Do you really think voters are going to sit there and say “well I can’t make up my mind between Alex and Donovan so I’ll just vote for the Nova kid?”.

Reaction Score
I think it's gotta be Karaban, with Whitmore and Clingan coming in second and third. I don't know how much team results get factored into a player's award, but what may tilt the needle the most is that we've had a better season than Nova (no disrespect to Nova a few days before we play them in Philly knocks on wood), so you can argue that Karaban's contributions are more valuable to team success than Whitmore's, no matter where he may fall short.

Even on offense, Karaban's numbers aren't dramatically dwarfed by Whitmore's, and he's got the edge in other areas (assists, turnovers, etc.). FWIW, Clingan deserves a mention, but I don't think it's to the same extent as two freshman starters.

Reaction Score
By minutes weighted luck-adjusted conference-only RAPM, it should be Karaban. But it's close. By pure unweighted, should be Clingan in a landslide.

BEfreshman.png

Whitmore's lack of offensive rebounding is pretty surprising considering his athleticism.

The power of shot selection. Clingan shooting only 58% at the rim, compared to Whitmore's 65%. But Clingan shooting 57.1% eFG and Whitmore 53.4% because Clingan takes 96% of his shots at the rim.

Karaban also leads Whitmore in win shares (and win share/40).

BPR has it Clingan, Whitmore, then Karaban.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And let someone less deserving get the award? Is there a way they could share it? Both have been equally important to the Huskies.

I know Alex wins the FOW award all the time. But the case can be made that Donovan has had a bigger impact on games and is the more vital piece for the Huskies. He certainly has the edge as a defender. But Alex is in the game at winning time and Donovan is not.
Donavan’s case is difficult because he plays 13 mins a game
His impact during those minutes are amazing but a game us 40 minutes long.
His 40 minute projections are amazing. Hopefully he can sustain that level for 25- 26 minutes next year . The bad news is he will be gone .
Karaban’s minutes are double plus just being on the floor impacts the game more than shows up in the box score .
for example
Because you have to respect his shot using his man to double Sanogo is unwise that could reflect in better insider opportunities.

Reaction Score
clingan? He is def good. It feels like He just doesn’t play enough to be seriously considered.

Karaban or the Butler kid from Lithuania would be the only guys besides Whitmore who I can think of who might get votes.

with All the transfers it is getting harder and harder to keep track of which ones are newcomers to the league and which ones are actually Freshman.

Reaction Score
clingan? He is def good. It feels like He just doesn’t play enough to be seriously considered.

Karaban or the Butler kid from Lithuania would be the only guys besides Whitmore who I can think of who might get votes.

with All the transfers it is getting harder and harder to keep track of which ones are newcomers to the league and which ones are actually Freshman.
The Butler kid is a sophomore. It's going to be Karaban as the winner

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Alex wins freshmen of the year

Clingan leaves a top 5 pick

Reaction Score
top 5 for F.O.Y. isn’t unreasonablle For Clingan.
At this point Karaban seems like a stretch. (And Whitmore was great last night). But, he is yer guy.. and he has been good. Hey, Ya never know.

Reaction Score
What does that even mean, siphoning each others votes?? Do you really think voters are going to sit there and say “well I can’t make up my mind between Alex and Donovan so I’ll just vote for the Nova kid?”.
No. That's not what siphoning views from each other means... Reach other referred to Asked and DC. Not Whitmore.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I think it will be between AK and Whitmore. I thought the name the award winners before the the conference tourney begins. So it is based solely on reg season. I think AK has gotten more exposure and I do think at this time his basketball IQ is superior to Whitmore. Also Villanova does not have a Sanogo and Hawkins on its roster. So AK stats are impacted as he does not need to score. For me even if Whitmore is one and done or two and done I would take AK everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Also I do think AK will be drafted maybe not first round but certainly second. And if he keeps on improving like he did this year we could all be surprised where he stands at the end of year 3. UConn may have a good team for the foreseeable future and AK will be a big part of that.

Reaction Score
The freshman team should be Chase Ross, Storr, Whitmore, Karaban, Clingan.

There's a huge dropoff after Whitmore, Karaban, Clingan, and Storr.

Mark Armstrong, Desmond Claude, Mason Miller, and Sean Jones next up. Armstrong and Ross have basically identical counting stats. Voters could conceivably put Armstrong over Ross based on reputation, usage, and minutes, but I think they reward Marquette and Ross has just been more effective in general.

Reaction Score
Armstrong didn’t play enough until recently. The kid is going to be fantastic. But, even more so than Clingan, not enough PT or production this year..

Reaction Score
FWIW, this year the AP is also naming BE awards, in addition to the traditional league awards determined by the coaches. Borges is a voting member, and on his ballot he listed Karaban as "Newcomer" of the Year (though "newcomer" was limited to "freshman" this year). He also has Sanogo and Hawkins on the First Team.

Non-subscriber friendly link to the CT Insider article below:

Reaction Score
I've watched on an off the progression of Clingan, and I'm impressed..........sort of. He came as a highly touted freshman, direct from high school, (Bristol Central) He didn't spend time in the AAU/Prep schools, which may or may have not hurt his development. He came to Storrs, a little overweight, but through his due diligence, he's peeled off a lot of baby fat. NOW, he has to grow into the body. Lately he's looked a little lost, and has had stretches of losing the ball, having it stolen by smaller players, and being out of position in the paint. He is in need of more upper body strength, and better low post moves. Some of his failings, later in the season, could be "hitting the freshman wall". He has good vision, and passes very well for a big man. Too bad that the Big Man guru, Pete Newell has passed away. Newell worked with many collegiate big men honing them into talented big men. For any of you that think Donovan is ready for the next level, better think again. He's more than likely 2 years away from even being considered as an

Reaction Score
I've watched on an off the progression of Clingan, and I'm impressed..........sort of. He came as a highly touted freshman, direct from high school, (Bristol Central) He didn't spend time in the AAU/Prep schools, which may or may have not hurt his development. He came to Storrs, a little overweight, but through his due diligence, he's peeled off a lot of baby fat. NOW, he has to grow into the body. Lately he's looked a little lost, and has had stretches of losing the ball, having it stolen by smaller players, and being out of position in the paint. He is in need of more upper body strength, and better low post moves. Some of his failings, later in the season, could be "hitting the freshman wall". He has good vision, and passes very well for a big man. Too bad that the Big Man guru, Pete Newell has passed away. Newell worked with many collegiate big men honing them into talented big men. For any of you that think Donovan is ready for the next level, better think again. He's more than likely 2 years away from even being considered as an
Agree he needs to learn better low post moves- his teammate Adama is a master, can’t think of a better teacher

Reaction Score
Clingan will be here next season and he will be a star. Bright professional future whenever he feels it's the right time to go.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom