Will Azzi come because of Bueckers? | The Boneyard

Will Azzi come because of Bueckers?

Reaction Score
How probable is it that UConn will get Azzi Fudd now that Paige Bueckers is in the bag?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Will Azzi Come Because of Bueckers?

Hmmm...for a large part of the last year, many posters on (at least) two boards thought Paige Bueckers would attend Notre Dame because of her friendship with Sam Brunelle. And then others thought certain pictures showed various permutations of the three closer to one than the other.

Me thinks Azzi Fudd will choose where to attend college based on her needs and/or wants and gut feel.

Yes, it would be nice to have a familiar face, but Paige, Azzi, Sam, Aliyah, etc. are all going to be close, regardless of where they attend college. So, it will come down to Azzi's preference.

Do Geno, Muffet, Brenda, etc., have input on that. You bet. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Will Azzi Come Because of Bueckers?

Hmmm...for a large part of the last year, many posters on (at least) two boards thought Paige Bueckers would attend Notre Dame because of her friendship with Sam Brunelle. And then others thought certain pictures showed various permutations of the three closer to one than the other.

Me thinks Azzi Fudd will choose where to attend college based on her needs and/or wants and gut feel.

Yes, it would be nice to have a familiar face, but Paige, Azzi, Sam, Aliyah, etc. are all going to be close, regardless of where they attend college. So, it will come down to Azzi's preference.

Does Geno, Muffet, Brenda, etc., have input on that. You bet. ;)
This is the most likely scenario. Where a friend (or family member - UConn fans should definitely know about this) goes to college does not sway a recruit one way or the other. It's a gut feeling and discussions with their family that counts the most. Azzi Fudd will not go to UConn because Paige is there. She will go to UConn because she feels that is the best fit for her..

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have long ago rejected the idea that AAU or National team players follow each other to schools because of a perceived friendship. As others have mentioned, each player goes through their own selection process and hopefully makes the right choice for themselves.

As for Paige and Azzi, they do appear to be friends, and that certainly won’t hurt if Azzi ultimately decides to further her basketball career in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Like others have stated, Azzi will go to whatever schools feels right to her. It would be awesome having her playing for the Huskies but I understand that she has to do what is best for her academically and athletically.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
How probable is it that UConn will get Azzi Fudd now that Paige Bueckers is in the bag?

Ms. Fudd will accept a scholarship from the college that best suits her personal needs. Just as Ms. Bueckers choose UCONN because CD will be moving on to the WNBA and the PG position will be open for her to make an immediate impact on the team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I don’t necessarily buy in to the idea that friendship is a major factor in determining where top recruits go to college, there is some anecdotal evidence that the ability to play with a top pg may be a factor. Stewie clearly wanted to play with Mo. More recently, in listing her reasons to attend UConn, Christyn cited the opportunity to play with Crystal.

So if you’re a talented HS player who likes to run the floor and fill the wing on the break, would you want to play with Paige Bueckers?

Hell yes!!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
While I don’t necessarily buy in to the idea that friendship is a major factor in determining where top recruits go to college, there is some anecdotal evidence that the ability to play with a top pg may be a factor. Stewie clearly wanted to play with Mo. More recently, in listing her reasons to attend UConn, Christyn cited the opportunity to play with Crystal.

So if you’re a talented HS player who likes to run the floor and fill the wing on the break, would you want to play with Paige Bueckers?

Hell yes!

and I think this is a big part of Geno's mindset about recruiting. More than any other coach, he tries to recruit teams that have a good fit and complementary skills and not just look at individual talent and it starts with PG play.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
and I think this is a big part of Geno's mindset about recruiting. More than any other coach, he tries to recruit teams that have a good fit and complementary skills and not just look at individual talent and it starts with PG play.
There is also something infectious about a great pg. Late in the season when Christyn was on the break, with everyone on the court expecting her to go in for the layup against her defender, she delivered a perfect behind the back, bounce pass to Crystal who was trailing the break for an easy layup. The crowd exploded and Crystal was beaming with the knowledge that her young, backcourt mate had delivered a highlight reel dime.

HGN

Reaction Score
I think Azzi will commit to wherever she is both Comfortable and has the Opportunity to win a NC within 4 years. And I hope that place is UConn In Spite of Paige. Not just because of Paige. I see it like this , if Azzi and Paige know that they can operate on the floor together and be interchangeable (think Gabby, Pheese, Nurse , etc.) there is no problem.........They both can play the 1 or 2 , and the 3 in a pinch. Then the friendship is a Big Plus. So they can easily play together, its just a matter of them both knowing that.

And an even BIGGER PLUS is that little Italian guy has a habit of playing his best players and getting them to work together as one unit leading to a National Championship 11 times. And that's more times than any other NCAA program. Men or Women's.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Hell yes!!!

There's a scenario like this in South Bend, as well. While Katlyn Gilbert lives in Indiana and Anaya Peoples in Illinois, they've played together on the same AAU team for many years and are very close friends. Gilbert, a grade ahead, came to Notre Dame in 2018. Unfortunately, she suffered a shoulder injury early on and missed her frosh year. Anaya Peoples is now coming as well and the two friends will have four years to play together...and for the Irish.

Reaction Score
Will Azzi come because of Bueckers?
I hope not. I hope Azzi comes to UCONN for her own reasons and because she wants to fulfill her OWN basketball aspirations.
Sounds like you have daughters. Mine tended to be influenceds, positively or negatively , by supposed friends.
I believe, if Azzi is as intelligent as is indicated, she will make her choice based on her reasoning process. I hope that is Uconn.

Reaction Score
There is also something infectious about a great pg. Late in the season when Christyn was on the break, with everyone on the court expecting her to go in for the layup against her defender, she delivered a perfect behind the back, bounce pass to Crystal who was trailing the break for an easy layup. The crowd exploded and Crystal was beaming with the knowledge that her young, backcourt mate had delivered a highlight reel dime.
You nailed why I love Womens (Uconn) basketball. Passing. Geno's kids in the early nineties and on were superb passers, one gets hooked on precision.
CW isn't just a pretty face, giggly girl, superb shooter, passer, she's a more than good all around BB player. What a coup for Geno.

Reaction Score

Hell yes!!!
Uconn over the years has had "Friends" all select Uconn together. It usually works our extremely well. 3 Moriah, Tuck, Stew came as a package--what a package.
Personally, just a feeling, no psychological reasoning for it--would like to see Azzi and Paige arrive as a tandum team, nice building blocks.

Reaction Score
While I agree with each word, I'd like to point out--and she is often overlooked-that Christine dailey recruits, seeks players, has more than a little input into the selection process. No offense, just a note.
I try to mostly say: Geno and Christine, because I believe Geno and she do a lot of assessing together. Again, my idiosyncrasy I see Uconn as Geno AND Christine Dailey

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I realize this is info aside from the topic but Azzi Fudd was injured last weekend at the 3x3 nationals. The injury is to her knee and it looked like a mostly non-contact injury as she landed after jumping. She is getting doctor opinions on it and the obvious concern is about the ligaments.

Reaction Score
as others have already said.............................who wouldn't want to play with the best point guard in the 2020 class? The fact that PB and are friends is just icing on the cake.....................could choose to go elsewhere? Sure it's certainly possible but in my opinion the odds of her coming to Storrs have increased considerably with the verbal from PB

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I realize this is info aside from the topic but Azzi Fudd was injured last weekend at the 3x3 nationals. The injury is to her knee and it looked like a mostly non-contact injury as she landed after jumping. She is getting doctor opinions on it and the obvious concern is about the ligaments.
Best of luck to Azzi.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I don't care why she chooses UConn, as long as she does.

A poster on the BY once said that trying to understand the mind of a 17 year old is akin to reading tea leaves. That is a statement that has stood with me since and I use it often. I frankly don't care if she comes to UConn for all the reasons we here on this forum think are the wrong reasons. Not so long as she enrolls and stays to graduation.

The truth is players develop strong relationships with other players for various reasons, and some of those relationships last a lifetime. That doesn't mean they ever play with one another. LeBron, Wade and Carmelo have been tight for years and always professed a desire for the three of them to play on the same team. It never happened. LeBron, although he played with Wade in Miami, didn't necessarily go there just for Dwayne. He went because the team afforded him the best chance to win a championship, and he knew his legacy demanded one. How this all shakes out with Ms. Fudd is anyone's guess, but, well, I drink lots of tea. With lemon, of course.

Reaction Score
Uconn over the years has had "Friends" all select Uconn together. It usually works our extremely well. 3 Moriah, Tuck, Stew came as a package--what a package.
Personally, just a feeling, no psychological reasoning for it--would like to see Azzi and Paige arrive as a tandum team, nice building blocks.
When you say came as a package, do you mean they coordinated their decisions to come here? I don't think that was the case at all. When I think of package deal I think of the kind of stuff that goes on with UNC when DeShields et al committed, or at Ohio State where to get one prized recruit (Kelsey Mitchell) you had to take the father as coach and the younger less talented sister. I think in the case of UConn it just so happened that players from the same class decided to come here independently of each other.

Reaction Score
There's a scenario like this in South Bend, as well. While Katlyn Gilbert lives in Indiana and Anaya Peoples in Illinois, they've played together on the same AAU team for many years and are very close friends. Gilbert, a grade ahead, came to Notre Dame in 2018. Unfortunately, she suffered a shoulder injury early on and missed her frosh year. Anaya Peoples is now coming as well and the two friends will have four years to play together...and for the Irish.

Reaction Score
Mmm .. how convenient for Gilbert .. did it have anything to do with playing time considering there were five WNBA picks on the ND roster .. I'll have to think twice on that one! ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom