Wild Dreams: The BE Could Kill the ACC | The Boneyard

Wild Dreams: The BE Could Kill the ACC

Reaction Score
(Just for fun) it would be a great irony and amazing moment if we killed off the ACC. A likely scenario is that the ACC Falls apart and ESPN immediately opts out of their deal, which is in the provisions of their contract. The B1G and SEC pick off the conference, including UNC, Clemson, NC State, UVA, FSU, Miami, VTech. The B12 then grabs Pitt and Lousiville, maybe others (hell, even Uconn).

But we could be left with the following which the Big East could poach if it were to open back up to Football: Duke, Wake Forest, Boston College, Georgia Tech, Syracuse, SMU, Stanford and Cal.

So, a re-envisioned BE could include 12 Fball schools, a massive and great BBall league and geographic spread:

North
Uconn (F)
Providence
Seton Hall
Saint Johns
Syracuse (F)
Boston College (F)

South
Georgetown
Villanova
Duke (F)
Georgia Tech (F)
Wake Forest (F)
USF (F)

Central
Notre Dame (Bball only)
Marquette
Creighton
Depaul
Butler
Xavier

West
Oregon State (F)
Washington State (F)
SMU (F)
Cal (F)
Stanford (F)
Gonzaga

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There is no way in hell the basketball memerbs of the BE would once again be part of a hybrid conference as they found out the first time through. it would be just a matter of time before they (basketball only members) would take a backseat to the schools that also played football.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
(Just for fun) it would be a great irony and amazing moment if we killed off the ACC. A likely scenario is that the ACC Falls apart and ESPN immediately opts out of their deal, which is in the provisions of their contract. The B1G and SEC pick off the conference, including UNC, Clemson, NC State, UVA, FSU, Miami, VTech. The B12 then grabs Pitt and Lousiville, maybe others (hell, even Uconn).

But we could be left with the following which the Big East could poach if it were to open back up to Football: Duke, Wake Forest, Boston College, Georgia Tech, Syracuse, SMU, Stanford and Cal.

So, a re-envisioned BE could include 12 Fball schools, a massive and great BBall league and geographic spread:

North
Uconn (F)
Providence
Seton Hall
Saint Johns
Syracuse (F)
Boston College (F)

South
Georgetown
Villanova
Duke (F)
Georgia Tech (F)
Wake Forest (F)
USF (F)

Central
Notre Dame (Bball only)
Marquette
Creighton
Depaul
Butler
Xavier

West
Oregon State (F)
Washington State (F)
SMU (F)
Cal (F)
Stanford (F)
Gonzaga
Looks like something @shizzle787 would come up with ^_^. Honestly, it's not bad, except for the BC inclusion and that the Big East already shunned FBS football.

Reaction Score
There is no way in hell the basketball memerbs of the BE would once again be part of a hybrid conference as they found out the first time through. it would be just a matter of time before they (basketball only members) would take a backseat to the schools that also played football.
They took us back with a nice out # for the remaining members if we leave.

So there the only schools that wouldn’t do a money grab?

Reaction Score
The college sports landscape is different today than even a few years ago. The situation with NIL is that players are professional athletes and go to schools with big name coaches and facilities and big NIL money. Only the wealthy schools will ultimately be able to compete in football or basketball. The Big East is going to have to get real about capturing more loot, part of that may include football additions.

Reaction Score
UConn is far more likely to join those leftover football schools in a new ACC than they are to join the Big East. And the top Catholic schools would certainly be willing to join a hybrid ACC if it kept them relevant. The Big East won't be poaching any school with a football team, they will be forced to backfill from the A10.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The smart move for the Big 12 or especially the ACC would be to partner with the Big East as a package for network and streaming platform negotiations. Streamers need content. Will never happen though.

Reaction Score
UConn is far more likely to join those leftover football schools in a new ACC than they are to join the Big East. And the top Catholic schools would certainly be willing to join a hybrid ACC if it kept them relevant. The Big East won't be poaching any school with a football team, they will be forced to backfill from the A10.
At the end of the day, the top brands that are not in the B1G, SEC or B12 have to come together for survival, or they're going to wither and die. My guess is that there will be enough of them combined to be about as respectable as the B12 if they were to merge up and cut any slack out. Will they have the creativity and courage to make that move?

Aside from that, Yormark would not want that to happen as it would further dilute his TV money opportunity and create more competition for being the third best league. I believe he also sees the existential threat to the B12 being the SEC and B1G pulling out of the NCAA and creating their own league; AND he is hedging by creating the best basketball conference he can such that were SEC/B1G to leave - they would have an issue with their basketball product missing top brands. This is why he personally favors Uconn and I am wondering if he might be interested in Duke and also possibly Uconn when everything starts up again. Guess we'll find out.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Duke to B12 no way
I some ways I agree with you (Duke not wanting B12) but USC, UCLA, Ore and Wash to Big10 and Cal, SMU and Stanford to ACC might say otherwise.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I think it's a great idea. The BE would be stupid not too. It adds some prominent hoops schools and the BE can be considered a P(something) league.
2 key things. @KryHavok is spot on, no BC. They've got it coming to them. From a non hatred factor, they bring very little to the table.
Do football as it's own contract vs basketball and the Olympic sports. Maybe that'll keep the infighting down.

Reaction Score
I think it could work if the football side and basketball side were two separate entities with different commissioners. Make football a standalone thing, sell the rights separately, run it differently. Obviously that creates a lot of hurdles but it probably reduces the amount of infighting

Reaction Score
I think it's a great idea. The BE would be stupid not too. It adds some prominent hoops schools and the BE can be considered a P(something) league.
2 key things. @KryHavok is spot on, no BC. They've got it coming to them. From a non hatred factor, they bring very little to the table.
Do football as it's own contract vs basketball and the Olympic sports. Maybe that'll keep the infighting down.
I agree. Dump BC, toss UMass a life raft. Or Delaware.
I know. This guy must really hate BC - damn straight. And would love to see Miami go down too.
Those idiots destroyed the best hoops conference ever. And it was decent enough in football.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Some of what the college football addiction guy said makes sense and a lot of it sounds like conjecture (very similar to billy bud's claims) but one absolute is that the ACC won't have a whole lot of leverage when negotiating the extension of their current media deal. If no agreement is reached, there is basically no value to the remaining years of the GOR, dropping the the cost of a school buying out of that to basically nothing. This may force the ACC to accept a far lesser contract than they initially anticipated solely to remain as a conference. Conversely, if the extension ends up being severely discounted, the result could be a very affordable buyout of the GOR by any school that knows it has a new home waiting for it.

I'm not sure it's going to move as fast as he claims (before June 30) but anywhere from four to eight months from now we may find out that the ACC will lose four to six members (I can't see more than that jumping ship at the moment). We may have a home for our football program before too long.

Reaction Score
Some of what the college football addiction guy said makes sense and a lot of it sounds like conjecture (very similar to billy bud's claims) but one absolute is that the ACC won't have a whole lot of leverage when negotiating the extension of their current media deal. If no agreement is reached, there is basically no value to the remaining years of the GOR, dropping the the cost of a school buying out of that to basically nothing. This may force the ACC to accept a far lesser contract than they initially anticipated solely to remain as a conference. Conversely, if the extension ends up being severely discounted, the result could be a very affordable buyout of the GOR by any school that knows it has a new home waiting for it.

I'm not sure it's going to move as fast as he claims (before June 30) but anywhere from four to eight months from now we may find out that the ACC will lose four to six members (I can't see more than that jumping ship at the moment). We may have a home for our football program before too long.
I think the future (at least near to mid) of the ACC lies in the hands of founding member UNC. If UNC gives up then the conference is toast. They could survive without FSU and even another founding member Clemson, however, they’d have to get smart about a plan moving forward. Meaning developing clear and achievable objectives in consideration of the changing landscape. Thus far they haven’t shown that. I do think the North Carolina schools and UVA were smart enough but got strong armed by the “football powers” into some stupid decisions. Those decisions further weakened their position to the low point of bringing in Louisville to keep the growing monster happy.

Time will tell.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I think the future (at least near to mid) of the ACC lies in the hands of founding member UNC. If UNC gives up then the conference is toast. They could survive without FSU and even another founding member Clemson, however, they’d have to get smart about a plan moving forward. Meaning developing clear and achievable objectives in consideration of the changing landscape. Thus far they haven’t shown that. I do think the North Carolina schools and UVA were smart enough but got strong armed by the “football powers” into some stupid decisions. Those decisions further weakened their position to the low point of bringing in Louisville to keep the growing monster happy.

Time will tell.
An invitation to the B1G or SEC (if we reach the point where leaving the ACC is no longer prohibitive financially) will be too good for UNC or UVA to pass up. If (as one could conclude, considering everything going on) FSU and Clemson have homes waiting for them in one of the P-2, the also will move on once the financials of departing the ACC become something bearable.

I'm not sure either of the P-2 would be willing to add more than two schools at any one time (save Notre Dame finally claiming they are ready to give up football independence) so there will still be quite bit left of the ACC. While that conference will be further below the P-2 than it currently is, and will have far less market power thanit does, it still will be reasonably comparable to the B-12 in terms of brand power, athletic prowess and marketability.

Reaction Score
An invitation to the B1G or SEC (if we reach the point where leaving the ACC is no longer prohibitive financially) will be too good for UNC or UVA to pass up. If (as one could conclude, considering everything going on) FSU and Clemson have homes waiting for them in one of the P-2, the also will move on once the financials of departing the ACC become something bearable.

I'm not sure either of the P-2 would be willing to add more than two schools at any one time (save Notre Dame finally claiming they are ready to give up football independence) so there will still be quite bit left of the ACC. While that conference will be further below the P-2 than it currently is, and will have far less market power thanit does, it still will be reasonably comparable to the B-12 in terms of brand power, athletic prowess and marketability.
I agree. So UNC (and UVA) leaves and the ACC is toast.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I agree. So UNC (and UVA) leaves and the ACC is toast.
Please explain toast.

That conference would still have twelve football members plus ND (with a scheduling agreement). The brands and quality will be at worst similar to the B-12.

Reaction Score
Please explain toast.

That conference would still have twelve football members plus ND (with a scheduling agreement). The brands and quality will be at worst similar to the B-12.
They lose FSU, Clemson, UNC, and UVa they are way below Big 12 in hoops and football.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
They lose FSU, Clemson, UNC, and UVa they are way below Big 12 in hoops and football.
Well below?

Not sure about that.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
EAST

Syracuse
Boston College
UConn
Duke
Wake Forest
Georgia Tech