OT: - Wife of ESPN's Berman dies in auto accident | The Boneyard

OT: Wife of ESPN's Berman dies in auto accident

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Kathy Berman, the wife of longtime ESPN broadcaster Chris Berman, died Tuesday in a car accident in rural Connecticut.

Kathy Berman was killed in a two-car crash near Woodbury, Connecticut. Berman, a teacher, was married to Chris for more than 33 years and had two children, Meredith and Douglas. She was 67.

[Article]

It's a sad day in Bristol. Prayers and condolences to the Berman family.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Thanks Carnac. He's one of my favorites. I hope and pray for him and his family.

Mine too. Unless the services are private, they're going to need a very large facility to hold the large number of mourners that can be expected to attend o pay their respects and to support him and his family.

Berman is loved, respected and admired by media and athletic personnel across the country. Anyone that ever worked with him will attend, as will many current and former athletes across the spectrum of sports, football, basketball, baseball, etc.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Thanks Carnac for the thread, but once again I can't give it a like. There is nothing quite like having a loved one die. Nothing. When a couple is in a good, long lasting marriage one hopes to grow old together, share each retirements together. Now that's been stolen from a good man and his family. Tragic. My heart goes out to the Berman family.

Yeah. Tough times in Bristol.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
A friend of mine died in a rear-ending (I read elsewhere that's what happened to Ms. Berman) almost exactly a year ago. Really makes my blood boil.

My heart goes out to her family and loved ones.

Reaction Score
A friend of mine died in a rear-ending (I read elsewhere that's what happened to Ms. Berman) almost exactly a year ago. Really makes my blood boil.

I thought I read it was her car which initiated the rear ending. Anyone know what's reality?

Reaction Score
I thought I read it was her car which initiated the rear ending. Anyone know what's reality?

That is correct, according to the police reports. Her car struck the other car and then rolled down an embankment.

Reaction Score
Very sad & tragic indeed. It also happened on Chris Berman's birthday, May 10th. :(

Reaction Score
Truly a shock.
I volunteer with Literacy Volunteers of Greater Waterbury and was fortunate to serve on the Board of Directors with Kathy. She served on the board for over 20 years and as Board President she helped LVGW become the outstanding organization it is today. Both Kathy and her husband Chris were tireless fundraisers for the organization. Chris annually serves as Master of Ceremonies of the organizations fundraiser dinner. Both Kathy and Chris were at our most recent dinner this past April at the Aqua Turf in Southington.
She had a significant impact on many people's lives.
She will be greatly missed.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Just to note... a 87-year-old man was killed in that accident.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Just to note... a 87-year-old man was killed in that accident.
Yes, both drivers died. The article I read said there was some idea that he might have suffered a medical emergency. Not knowing the area, roads, etc. I wouldn't know whether that would make sense, or not.

In any case, very sad. I just read an article from Reader's Digest a few months ago about a young fellow who did nothing wrong, was wearing his seat belt, was struck by another car at an intersection and eventually died after a 3 year struggle (the article was about his health insurance - nothing to do with politics, this happened over 10 years ago, it was about needing to understand what your insurance covers). But in any case, I was very struck by the tragedy of it all, especially as I read about Mrs. Berman's death (and the other driver) just after finishing the magazine article.

Reaction Score
Damn, what horrible news for Chris Berman and his family.

May he find future peace, and its a not so gentle reminder to all of us how precious life is.

Reaction Score

My condolences for your friend Bigboote.

Reaction Score
RIP Kathy Berman. Chris my thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

Reaction Score
Thoughts and prayers to the families of both victims. Seems like a freak accident.
Unfortunately, crappy stuff happens. Sad all the way around.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Very sad & tragic indeed. It also happened on Chris Berman's birthday, May 10th. :(

I'm pretty sure it happened on Tuesday 5/9 and not on 5/10

Reaction Score
.26 in a normally sober person would knock them out. If she was doing 82 at the time then it's fair to assume she had a drinking problem. While my sympathies go out to both families I have none for her. Lets be honest, if this had been a 25 year old male who hit a mother and 2 children and had survived we would all be calling for a long jail sentence.

Reaction Score
Well, that makes sense. There are few stretches of road in all the state of CT that are straighter for longer than where this accident happened. I was perplexed when I saw where it was. Driven that stretch probably hundreds of times.

Yikes

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom