Wide Receiver Development during the 2013 Season | The Boneyard

Wide Receiver Development during the 2013 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With the game Davis had yesterday, I have been thinking about the development of the wide receivers this past season under TJ Weist (just looking at him as a position coach..nothing more, nothing less). he came to UCONN with a reputation as a very good recruiter and WR coach...a coach who was able to elevate his players through motivation and very good coaching. I think the WR's improved immensely..becoming the strength of the offense. Davis and Phillips were as good a 1/2 wr combo as any team had in the AAC. When Phillips got hurt...Weist was able to get solid production out of Foxx, and true freshman Bradley and Lemelle. Weist was the reason Lemelle chose to play football here as well. What TJ Weist did as a WR coach this season was pretty damn good!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
From the limited sample of TJ as a WR coach I can honestly say that the gap between him and any prior WR coach at UConn in my memory is greater than the gap between JC & Perno as basketball coaches. I hope that we don't have too large of a fall off here but WR coach is far from our most important need in this process.

I also want to point out the improvement in our offense since Day took over the play calling duties. If we do go the TJ route I would much prefer that TJ becomes the HC/WR coach and Day becomes OC/QB coach.

Reaction Score
I also want to point out the improvement in our offense since Day took over the play calling duties. If we do go the TJ route I would much prefer that TJ becomes the HC/WR coach and Day becomes OC/QB coach.

Which game did Day take over play calling? Do we know?

The improvement in the offense is probably just the switch to Cochran, not Day being so much better than TJ. Day has certainly done a good job.

Quality QB play can make or break a coach. Belichick was not impressive as a head coach until he found Brady.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
These guys TJ and Day, deserve a lot of credit for finding a way to put together a competent passing game in such a short period of time. That catch by Lemelle down the seam. With the exception of a few Cody Endress connections to Easly, and I think one with Kashief, we haven't had that in a long time. Modern football like occurs everywhere else in college football minus UConn. Nice to see.

Reaction Score
Which game did Day take over play calling? Do we know?

The improvement in the offense is probably just the switch to Cochran, not Day being so much better than TJ. Day has certainly done a good job.

Quality QB play can make or break a coach. Belichick was not impressive as a head coach until he found Brady.

I believe it was the last three - I'll see if I can find confirmation.

Reaction Score
These guys TJ and Day, deserve a lot of credit for finding a way to put together a competent passing game in such a short period of time. That catch by Lemelle down the seam. With the exception of a few Cody Endress connections to Easly, and I think one with Kashief, we haven't had that in a long time. Modern football like occurs everywhere else in college football minus UConn. Nice to see.
We still need receivers that have separation after the catch.We need to be able to stretch the field.I love Davis,but he should have been able to scored a touchdown after breaking a tackle on that sideline catch.I'm not trying to be negative here,but speed kills.I Hope we can recruit some receivers with size and speed.

Reaction Score
The young receivers really came to life when Cochran was in as well.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I believe it was the last three - I'll see if I can find confirmation.

That was my recollection as well. However, I can only show written support of it from the Rutgers game on:

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-jacobs-column-1201-20131130,0,2966296.column

"Shane Day's play calling was strong and so was Cochran's response to it."

If anyone finds anything during the Temple game in writing, let me know. I thought that it was, but it could have just been the last two...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We still need receivers that have separation after the catch.We need to be able to stretch the field.I love Davis,but he should have been able to scored a touchdown after breaking a tackle on that sideline catch.I'm not trying to be negative here,but speed kills.I Hope we can recruit some receivers with size and speed.

Foxx, Lemelle and Bradley have all showns glimpses of breakaway speed. They have to do it consistently.

Reaction Score

The screen by CC to Foxx where he ran so fast he was untouched into the end zone. Not his fault he was so fast there was no tackle to break. ;)

I know he's our slot guy but I'm very happy with our WR stable, YAC be damned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom