Why Wilson will get her wish at UConn. | The Boneyard

Why Wilson will get her wish at UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
A couple of reasons why. If you remember Swin, Aja and Tamika. All played a little outside and inside. All were tall at that time at approx. 6'2 and they dominated. This past season you saw Stef hitting shots inside and out. A direct result of UConns coaching. How many other schools have bigs that can do what Stef does? Tuck playing inside and out and doing the same thing as did Stewart. Now bring in Wilson and what do you have? A taller version of Swin Aja and Tamika with more outside range. It would be a help help situation much like UConns undefeated season and NC with Swin Aja and Tamika. A front line of Tuck Stewart and Wilson would be unbeatable and a 3 some that could showcase their skills. The most important aspect of them would be they would complement each other. Being a lone wolf on a team hoping and wishing to make the NCAAs or FF mean she would be the focus of opponets defense. On a team with Tuck and Stewart she wouldn't and either would be Tuck or Stewart. No help defense could stop them. JMO

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I have said before in these threads that if A'Ja wants to develop her whole game and be the very best she can be then UCONN is her best choice. UCONN's style of play challenges players to have a complete game and Geno will never let her simply settle or cheat her talent.

If she just wants to be a star she can go anywhere but if she wants to be a true basketball player then UCONN is the place.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
TonyC = interesting post, but I think it really is more a product of the player than the coaching at the top level of coaching. You can look at Stanford bigs as an example - Appel was a true low post center and spent most of her time down low, while recently they have had more of the tall forward type players who do more damage further from the basket. Among those you listed from the TASSK force Tamika spent most of her time in the low post while the other two spent more time moving in and out.
I agree that Geno would develop Wilson's game but I doubt any really good coach would want to tie her into the low post where she would get beaten on by big bodies all game.
And I agree as well on the idea of being one of a number of really good players is better for any players development than being the undoubted star - EDD did very well as did her team, but I truly believe she would be better today had she been surrounded by more talent in college.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
TonyC = interesting post, but I think it really is more a product of the player than the coaching at the top level of coaching. You can look at Stanford bigs as an example - Appel was a true low post center and spent most of her time down low, while recently they have had more of the tall forward type players who do more damage further from the basket. Among those you listed from the TASSK force Tamika spent most of her time in the low post while the other two spent more time moving in and out.
I agree that Geno would develop Wilson's game but I doubt any really good coach would want to tie her into the low post where she would get beaten on by big bodies all game.
And I agree as well on the idea of being one of a number of really good players is better for any players development than being the undoubted star - EDD did very well as did her team, but I truly believe she would be better today had she been surrounded by more talent in college.

It is more the motivational difference and the structure of the offense that sets UCONN apart from all but a couple of programs and even there I think the edge stills goes to Geno. Many of his fellow professionals think so, too.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is more the motivational difference and the structure of the offense that sets UCONN apart from all but a couple of programs and even there I think the edge stills goes to Geno. Many of his fellow professionals think so, too.
I agree that Geno is tops and his record, his former players success, and the system he runs are all absolute tops. Just wanted to point out that most coaches at the top end aren't stupid and many adapt the style of play to the individuals available.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I agree that Geno is tops and his record, his former players success, and the system he runs are all absolute tops. Just wanted to point out that most coaches at the top end aren't stupid and many adapt the style of play to the individuals available.

That is one of the differences with Geno. He teaches players how to play the game within a style and structure that teaches players how to read and respond to the play and opportunities in front of them. He does not change tremendously what UCONN attempts to do. Rather players learn fundamentals and execute them. Geno doesn't rewire things for players. This is not to say that the game may not look different with different personal on the floor because they play from their personal gifts but at its heart it is very consistent in structure. This is what people mean that they amazed at the freedom that Geno gives to people within his system. That freedom is based in read and respond, read and exploit.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I am going to say something heretical here. If I did not see another thread about this recruit until next April, hopefully after the 9th , it would suit me just fine. You would think the sun rising depended on something related to her. I only hope she does not get to where she believes it. Bone became a believer. Bring on the season. Embrace the present and let tomorrow take care of itself.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That is one of the differences with Geno. He teaches players how to play the game within a style and structure that teaches players how to read and respond to the play and opportunities in front of them. He does not change tremendously what UCONN attempts to do. Rather players learn fundamentals and execute them. Geno doesn't rewire things for players. This is not to say that the game may not look different with different personal on the floor because they play from their personal gifts but at its heart it is very consistent in structure. This is what people mean that they amazed at the freedom that Geno gives to people within his system. That freedom is based in read and respond, read and exploit.
Best short description I have seen for Geno's coaching/system!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom