Why we watch | The Boneyard

Why we watch

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
It’s been mentioned tonight that this season was a failure. I just can’t accept that.

Tonight was a failure. The coach, the staff, the players, whoever you want to blame, failed tonight. It stings.

So I had to ask myself why do I watch?

This season was so much fun. We had a really fun team, with some UConn all-timers like Whaley and Polley. Every game was a blast to watch. We had a team we knew we could route for and they rewarded us often. Some really fun games. Some great wins. An acceptable amount of stinkers.

It gave us something to really cheer for, for the first time in a pretty long time.

The Huskies without a doubt took a step this year. We have an excited fan base that sells out games. We have a student section that started the year empty and unorganized and finished the year packed, rowdy, and involved.

We sold out the XL and delivered with an exhilarating win. We had casual fans!

I had a lot of fun this season. I got to watch games with family and bond with more people about the Huskies. It didn’t feel like a chore to watch. It was fun. A really fun season, with a good record, and some really great wins.

And a really terrific group of guys.

My life was made better by season we had. That’s why I watch and love this team. Don’t know how that’s a failure.

Reaction Score
It’s been mentioned tonight that this season was a failure. I just can’t accept that.

Tonight was a failure. The coach, the staff, the players, whoever you want to blame, failed tonight. It stings.

So I had to ask myself why do I watch?

This season was so much fun. We had a really fun team, with some UConn all-timers like Whaley and Polley. Every game was a blast to watch. We had a team we knew we could route for and they rewarded us often. Some really fun games. Some great wins. An acceptable amount of stinkers.

It gave us something to really cheer for, for the first time in a pretty long time.

The Huskies without a doubt took a step this year. We have an excited fan base that sells out games. We have a student section that started the year empty and unorganized and finished the year packed, rowdy, and involved.

We sold out the XL and delivered with an exhilarating win. We had casual fans!

I had a lot of fun this season. I got to watch games with family and bond with more people about the Huskies. It didn’t feel like a chore to watch. It was fun. A really fun season, with a good record, and some really great wins.

And a really terrific group of guys.

My life was made better by season we had. That’s why I watch and love this team. Don’t know how that’s a failure.
We beat Nova and Auburn! But we knew we had some large flaws didn,'t we?

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
We beat Nova and Auburn! But we knew we had some large flaws didn,'t we?
Large flaws.

When we were firing on all cylinders, man was this team fun to watch.

Unfortunately, we didn’t quite have the depth to afford to not fire on all cylinders. Couldn’t afford for anyone to slump.

24-10 is a pretty good record for the team we had, especially considering going in to the season when predictions were made we thought Johnson, Diggins, Gaffney, Akok, and even Springs (!!!!) were going to be a factor.

Reaction Score
We watch because we are UConn, Huskies, Nutmeggers, etc. We know Championship basketball, and yearn for it.

Now we see some resemblance of our winning ways back in Storrs. Problem is, because of our history, we know more, see more, and expect more. Seeing games like tonight pisses us all off because we know we can do better on the court and most of us will always tune in to see what we can do to bring us back to glory.

I want us back in deep tournament (Maui, Atlantis, BET, NCAA) and will just have to suck up our losses like a good boy and cheer us on in the next game we play.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
We watch because we are UConn, Huskies, Nutmeggers, etc. We know Championship basketball, and yearn for it.

Now we see some resemblance of our winning ways back in Storrs. Problem is, because of our history, we know more, see more, and expect more. Seeing games like tonight pisses us all off because we know we can do better on the court and most of us will always tune in to see what we can do to bring us back to glory.

I want us back in deep tournament (Maui, Atlantis, BET, NCAA) and will just have to suck up our losses like a good boy and cheer us on in the next game we play.
I’m not disagreeing with any of this.

Tonight sucked, was a total failure and I expected much more and will complain about tonight for sure.

But I can’t make the jump to the season being a failure.

Reaction Score
This season was so much fun. We had a really fun team, with some UConn all-timers like Whaley and Polley. Every game was a blast to watch. We had a team we knew we could route for and they rewarded us often. Some really fun games. Some great wins.
Drama ain't fun. Too many unnecessary close games aged me. Not seeing Hawkins, Diggins, Samson or Springs blossom was disappointing. Seeing our squad in February looking just like our December squad was frustrating. And of course losing close games that I felt we should have won was maddening.

Anyway I watch because I'm obviously am a fan of drama. It's better than comedy or tragedy but I actually prefer my teams to have happier endings.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Drama ain't fun. Too many unnecessary close games aged me. Not seeing Hawkins, Diggins, Samson or Springs blossom was disappointing. Seeing our squad in February looking just like our December squad was frustrating. And of course losing close games that I felt we should have won was maddening.

Anyways I watch because I'm obviously am a fan of drama. No mystery with this team, although It's better than comedies or tragedies. I actually prefer my teams to have happier endings.
I’d argue Hawkins turned a corner before he ran in to a 7 foot dude 70 feet from the basket.

Reaction Score

Tonight sucked, was a total failure and I expected much more and will complain about tonight for sure.

Our team, while better than we have seen in some years, ks still hard to watch. I am not sure how I will come to terms with tonight or many other similar losses we have had. There are many positives from this season but some bitter pills to swallow too. I guess for me, it is the offseason now and the tourney is on, so next is next!

Reaction Score

That's why it's okay to feel like tonight was a disappointment and a failure. It was. Lots of blame to go around to everybody. (Hurley's lineup leaves us vulnerable to well-schemed defense, Sanogo with bad hands and fouling 3pt shooter with 1 sec left, Cole no-showing the first half, Polley taking side dribble heat checks, Martin no-showing 1st half and not being aggressive with the ball going to the hole, Whaley1/4 from 3, Jackson fouling Allen on a couple key plays, weren't able to get Hawkins back from a concussion in over 2 weeks, Gaffney for not improving all season or career, etc.)

But we lost a lottery pick and had a better regular season (13-6 in the Big East!) We finally beat Villanova. We were the only team to beat Auburn for half the season. We were ranked in the top 25 for a majority of the season! We hadn't been ranked for more than 2 weeks in 6 years. We had 2 first team All-Big East selections!

Our season is not just the NCAA tournament. Because we made a few deep runs after mediocre seasons, I understand why our fanbase treats the tournament as more important than the season. It's a natural way to boost our legacy and ego. And Championships ARE the goal. We didn't achieve our biggest goal.

Yes, we have high standards. We are UConn. But incremental growth isn't a failure. It's still growth. The results are better. The roster is getting better. The recruits coming in are good.

We may take a step back next year because we're losing a bunch of seniors (presumably 4 of our top 6 rotation), but maybe not. We're going to be a frisky team of young talent next year led by a junior Sanogo who will get better (both in finishing skill and BBIQ). The future is bright.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

A Blueblood program would consider this season a failure!

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
That's why it's okay to feel like tonight was a disappointment and a failure. It was. Lots of blame to go around to everybody. (Hurley's lineup leaves us vulnerable to well-schemed defense, Sanogo with bad hands and fouling 3pt shooter with 1 sec left, Cole no-showing the first half, Polley taking side dribble heat checks, Martin no-showing 1st half and not being aggressive with the ball going to the hole, Whaley1/4 from 3, Jackson fouling Allen on a couple key plays, weren't able to get Hawkins back from a concussion in over 2 weeks, Gaffney for not improving all season or career, etc.)

But we lost a lottery pick and had a better regular season (13-6 in the Big East!) We finally beat Villanova. We were the only team to beat Auburn for half the season. We were ranked in the top 25 for a majority of the season! We hadn't been ranked for more than 2 weeks in 6 years.

Our season is not just the NCAA tournament. Because we made a few deep runs after mediocre seasons, I understand why our fanbase treats the tournament as more important than the season. It's a natural way to boost our legacy and ego. And Championships ARE the goal. We didn't achieve our biggest goal.

Yes, we have high standards. We are UConn. But incremental growth isn't a failure. It's still growth. The results are better. The roster is getting better. The recruits coming in are good.

We may take a step back next year because we're losing a bunch of seniors (presumably 4 of our top 6 rotation), but maybe not. We're going to be a frisky team of young talent next year led by a junior Sanogo who will get better (both in finishing skill and BBIQ). The future is bright.
I strongly agree with this post.

The program lost some momentum tonight, no doubt, but not more than it gained this season.

Reaction Score
I loved this team, I love every team frankly, but how much do you remember afterwards? You remember epic clashes with Nova, besting MSU on an aircraft hanger, the roar of Gampel beating Houston before COVID — basically a few games peppered in there that have their significance — but you remember March above all else. Period.

For example, in 2008 we had a strong team, 4th place in the real big East, games against the Zags, beat Cuse, and even Craig Austrie pitched in heroically against lowly USF in OT.

But I remember one thing.

It was the first year JC ever lost in the first round of the tournament to San Diego….. that’s all we’ll remember sadly. The rest is just historical footnotes.

March matters above all else. Mediocre teams can rise like phoenixs and juggernauts can fall.

It’s criminal to not prepare twice in a row.

Reaction Score
Because we made a few deep runs after mediocre seasons,

I wouldn't trade '11 and '14 for anything but they certainly warped expectations. Tonight was miserable and I've already snapped at my wife, taken the dogs for a walk, and opened a fresh bottle of booze, but I still like the trajectory compared to where we were not so long ago. It's crazy to think about how important that Brimah three point play was against St. Joes. They looked like hot garbage for most of that game, eked out a game they probably should have lost, and went on a run. Not going to happen like that too often.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I loved this team, I love every team frankly, but how much do you remember afterwards? You remember epic clashes with Nova, besting MSU on an aircraft hanger, the roar of Gampel beating Houston before COVID — basically a few games peppered in there that have their significance — but you remember March above all else. Period.

For example, in 2008 we had a strong team, 4th place in the real big East, games against the Zags, beat Cuse, and even Craig Austrie pitched in heroically against lowly USF in OT.

But I remember one thing.

It was the first year JC ever lost in the first round of the tournament to San Diego….. that’s all we’ll remember sadly. The rest is just historical footnotes.

March matters above all else. Mediocre teams can rise like phoenixs and juggernauts can fall.

It’s criminal to not prepare twice in a row.
I’ll never forget that Nova game. Or that Auburn one.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't trade '11 and '14 for anything but they certainly warped expectations. Tonight was miserable and I've already snapped at my wife, taken the dogs for a walk, and opened a fresh bottle of booze, but I still like the trajectory compared to where we were not so long ago. It's crazy to think about how important that Brimah three point play was against St. Joes. They looked like hot garbage for most of that game, eked out a game they probably should have lost, and went on a run. Not going to happen like that too often.
Watching this game also reminded me of that St Joes game, minus the video game numbers coming from the other team

Reaction Score

I enjoyed the season. I don't consider it a failure because we were marginally better than I thought we'd be and played some exciting games. A good record and some improvement. But what I've been consistent about since a year ago is that the summer would be a failure and would sabotage our hopes for a tourney run if we didn't bring in at least one shooter and ball handler. Today was the logical conclusion of that. Coach Hurley is not a good enough game coach to overcome that. Most coaches aren't, but at least they're not so stubborn as to think they are. We got exactly what was set up by a flawed philosophy. Even if the recruiting and player development eventually does get us there it will not be evidence that was the correct approach. We sacrificed what could have potentially been a great season for a good one with a sour ending.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom