Why we should not be OK with losing right now | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why we should not be OK with losing right now

Reaction Score
I'd say it's far more delusional thinking this team was capable of making the tournament. It's not about whether it's "OK". It's not OK to lose a single game. That should be the mindset of any serious athlete or coach at this level. But it's not toxic as a fan to understand that a rebuild with a new head coach take years to accomplish and to give it time. We are humans with very complex brains that can think multiple things at the same time. I can hate losing and be mad and frustrated about it as I watch game after game and still understand the greater picture simultaneously.

Reaction Score
I'd say it's far more delusional thinking this team was capable of making the tournament. It's not about whether it's "OK". It's not OK to lose a single game. That should be the mindset of any serious athlete or coach at this level. But it's not toxic as a fan to understand that a rebuild with a new head coach take years to accomplish and to give it time. We are humans with very complex brains that can think multiple things at the same time. I can hate losing and be mad and frustrated about it as I watch game after game and still understand the greater picture simultaneously.
I would like this twice if I could.

Reaction Score
You can say losing now is fine because the bigger picture is Hurley gets new guys in the next couple years and turns things around. But the more we lose the harder it gets to bring in top talent. There is somewhat of a catch 22; you need talent to win, but you need to win to attract talent. A 4* recruit does not want to jeopardize their one opportunity in college to play in the tournament by risking it and going to a team that hasn't made the tournament in four years.

Say what you want, but our 2020 recruiting class so far is solid, not great. Hurley has proved that his New Jersey recruiting connections aren't as strong as once touted, therefore we'll only start reeling in the big fish once Hurley either starts winning or develops a couple guys into the league. Most new coaches have some "new coach recruiting momentum" at first but new coaches like Crean have history of putting guys into the NBA, Hurley does not.

Bottom line: Being OK with missing the tournament or with losing to USF and justifying it with "we'll be better once the new guys come in" is a bad and somewhat delusional mindset for us to have. You can have the most charismatic coach in the world, but recruits want results. Results matter.
im one person who has said that im looking to next year and am not invested in winning and losing this year and I stand by that. But that being said I am in no way shape or form ok with losing. Never have been and never will be.

Reaction Score
What I don’t understand is what changed from the team that almost beat Xavier and beat Florida, Miami and Buffalo? Same players (actually minus Bouk for FL) and same offense. The team from earlier this year seemed to play much tougher and, at least in these games mentioned, looked like a much better team than what’s been on display so far in 2020. I still can’t figure out the identity of this team.

Reaction Score
im one person who has said that im looking to next year and am not invested in winning and losing this year and I stand by that. But that being said I am in no way shape or form ok with losing. Never have been and never will be.
But you should be invested in winning and losing this year... it matters. You can look to Hurley's "bigger picture" in the future but the reality is the bigger picture has to start right now. Grinding out road wins against teams we should absolutely beat is part of the future fabric of this team.

Reaction Score
Completely agree. Setting your sights on anything but an NCAA tournament bid is a toxic mindset to have. What recruit wants to come to a school where the target for the year is to make it to the NIT? As fans too, how can we call ourselves a blue-blood, but then be okay with USF losses and mediocrity? Sure UConn basketball has lost its luster a bit in the past few seasons, but the moment we lower our expectations, we relegate ourselves from ever reaching the status of a top-tier blue blood that our history has proven us to be.

@coachdanhurley

Reaction Score
It isn't great. Jackson has shooting woes, despite having high upside. And Javonte is not top 75. He is not ready for college b-ball physically. He's gonna be good down the road but from the footage I've seen he is not a great rebounder. He hasn't caught up to his body yet.
It's a solid class at this point, nothing program changing.

Regardless of your opinion on the next recruiting class, don't you think there will be vast improvement with Gaffney, Bouknight, and Akok as sophomores, as well as the addition of RJ Cole? That's 4/5 of our starting lineup.

We don't need Jackson and Brown-Ferguson to be studs right away for this team to be much better.

Reaction Score
I have never been okay with losing , but I‘m a huge fan of a team finding chemistry and getting better as the year goes on.
Plus at my age “future “ Is a four letter word
Or as my late father-in- law use to say at my age buying green bananas is a gamble.

Reaction Score
This team has the talent to at least get a bid as an 8-10 seed, that is not unrealistic, especially in a Topsy-turvey year like this where there is no clear strong team. At this juncture the team has not taken advantage of how..average... the overall field is (compared to most years). Most years THIS particular UConn team might be NIT but this is the year they can actually do something better.

It actually shocks me that that is seen as unrealistic. There are less talented teams doing better this year. Other coaches in their second years have had stronger turnarounds with less to work with....Hurley will get it done, it just feels slower than I thought it would take.
This take is mind-numbingly delusional. If we make the NIT I will be blown away.

Reaction Score
The talent is overrated by many on here. What have you seen on the floor the last 3 years to say we are talented enough? The proof is right there for all to see. We are undersized and underdeveloped physically. We have no frontcourt depth. We rebound poorly. We have point guard issues. We turn the ball over. We take awful shots. We don't shoot the ball particularly well. Mentally we tend to collapse when things snowball negatively. Our most talented players are freshman. How does that all add up to being talented enough?You don't play the game on paper or with high school rankings of yesteryear. You are what your record says you are. Perhaps it's not that complicated. Perhaps it's just as simple as we are just not that good and we just need more good players and we need those players to gain experience.
Maybe the coaching is overrated here also. Give me the top 5 things/moves/schemes that Hurley has done so far through this season up through game 14 that indicates he has the talent to be a top Div1 head coach. Which player development, offensive set, defensive set, playing time adjustment, in game adjustment gives you the warm and fuzzies that man we got the right guy. Of course the team would be better if KEA, Kemba or Shabazz stepped through the door, but that ain't happening. What is he doing well with what he has.

Reaction Score
Everyone involved in the program is trying as hard as they can to get better and win every game......if anything people have been killing hurley for not punting on this year and just playing the young guys......

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Wait. So some of you have been rooting for us to lose?

Or am I just not getting upset enough?

Reaction Score
Maybe the coaching is overrated here also. Give me the top 5 things/moves/schemes that Hurley has done so far through this season up through game 14 that indicates he has the talent to be a top Div1 head coach. Which player development, offensive set, defensive set, playing time adjustment, in game adjustment gives you the warm and fuzzies that man we got the right guy. Of course the team would be better if KEA, Kemba or Shabazz stepped through the door, but that ain't happening. What is he doing well with what he has.
Maybe it is, but I am willing to give him more than a year and change before I go in to panic mode considering the hand he was dealt. Hurley was billed as a program builder. Let's give him the chance to do just that. If he gets a couple more classes in and we still look like garbage on the floor then something may need to be done. It's not like he is the only relatively new coach at a struggling program that is having issues. Is it fair to question his coaching? Sure it is. I just don't happen to think it's the most problematic issue right now. If people think Hurley is to blame then what would you want done? Making a premature coaching change would probably cause a mass exodus and we would be worse off than when he got here. It's fair to criticize him but we need this to work in the worse way so let's give it a legit chance. The alternative is downright frightening.

Reaction Score
I’m trying to be optimistic. It’s becoming a little more difficult to be positive after the drubbings we received these last two games. In all honesty I pissed at the way these guys played USF. They started off on a good foot but were hiding in their shells by halftime. I know this “rebuild” will be a marathon and not a sprint. As I realize it now the first 12 games(OOC games) weren’t really how any of us should’ve based this second season of the rebuild. I’m not ok at all losing to these mediocre mid majors.

Reaction Score
Maybe it is, but I am willing to give him more than a year and change before I go in to panic mode considering the hand he was dealt. Hurley was billed as a program builder. Let's give him the chance to do just that. If he gets a couple more classes in and we still look like garbage on the floor then something may need to be done. It's not like he is the only relatively new coach at a struggling program that is having issues. Is it fair to question his coaching? Sure it is. I just don't happen to think it's the most problematic issue right now. If people think Hurley is to blame then what would you want done? Making a premature coaching change would probably cause a mass exodus and we would be worse off than when he got here. It's fair to criticize him but we need this to work in the worse way so let's give it a legit chance. The alternative is downright frightening.

This is a very good response. I'm not thrilled by what I've seen so far but I don't disagree with anything in your post. I think most reasonable fans will read it and it'll resonate as logical, fair and supportive of the program we all root for.

I'm not someone who thinks rebuilds need to take 4 years before you can judge it. If you're being honest with yourself, you should have a clear feel for how things are trending by then. However, I do think that given the circumstances, a couple of seasons is a reasonable amount of time to not demand immediate success. I can't promise I won't criticize and complain along the way but I'm willing to wait to see next year's team before wondering if we got the right guy. One sign of a good coach is that regardless of talent (and barring major injuries) their teams tend to play better as the season progresses. We may not make the tournament but let's see if the 2nd half of the season looks better than the the first. It'd be an encouraging lift for those of us who are starting to feel a bit uneasy.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Best recruiter in the sport says results are the most important factor

Congrats, you’ve fallen for Calipari BS. Sure, Kentucky recruits off of results...

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
No one here is 'OK with losing'. Some realize the truth of the situation and understand that UConn MBB is in a process. What is happening is part of the process. I do not get all bent out of shape with the losses because I see how DH has his hands tied and applaud his way of handling the situation he was dealt. I am happy with the steps of the process so far and am anticipating the future steps will reap many great victories.

Reaction Score
Congrats, you’ve fallen for Calipari BS. Sure, Kentucky recruits off of results...
38 draft picks, 28 first round, 21 lottery in 10 years. Whether or not UK pays, the results speak for themselves.

Reaction Score
I want and expect to win every freakin game we play.
Adding on, this Coach & Team should come into every game with the energy, hustle and competitiveness to win every game.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm not OK with losing, but I have to admit I'm becoming more numb to losing. Only so much passion one can invest in losing

But I'll be there Wednesday night +3 and Sunday afternoon +9 and doing my best to help them win

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom