Why UConn will win the national championship | The Boneyard

Why UConn will win the national championship

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
March 18, 2021

Welcome to the UConn WBB Weekly, a recap of everything that happened in the world of UConn women’s basketball over the past week from the team that runs The UConn Blog and Storrs Central.

The Huskies have all the pieces to win it all this year.

In the two weeks before the NCAA Tournament, we’ll have a two-part series looking at why UConn women’s basketball will (and won’t) win the national championship this season. Last week, we examined what weaknesses could sink the Huskies’ chances at a 12th national title. This week, we’ll look at why they’re the favorites.

Reaction Score
UConn is peaking at the right time. We will need some luck, the right match up and covid free problems and then may we will have a pretty good run!!! A NC is never a given.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I feel that the teams who have played the toughest opponents in the last few weeks are the ones who will have an advantage.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I am encouraged by no Covid news from UConn's portion of the bubble.

Reaction Score
New member here ( thank you).
My major concern Is that of the quick whistle on defense.
Playing tight switching man to man defense leaves a lot up the manner in which the officials choose to call the game.
Lot of bumping and contact transpiring.
Letting them “play”-fine.
If the officials decide to call a “tight” game- bam- bam-bam-couple of quick fouls on 1 and 2’s.
Needing to sit someone early or 4th quarter situations could completely change minutes for the starters and need to go deeper on player rotation.
Not my concern early on , but in sweet 16 could be a real factor.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I kinda feel like those teams in UConns bracket are sayin....Hey we got Sc____ed we're in UConns bracket. Some of our fans are thinkin Hey we've got a really tuff bracket and thats not fair. I was taught early on by some professional athletes some successful business people and some motivational speakers that if you think you can you can and it you think you cant you cant. That for me has held up over the years watching teams play and even for myself playing sports as well as my daughter. Tryin to be positive all the time is tuff but you gotta try. No one wants to follow a dull, disillusioned, cry baby who always is bringing people down. Geno has lite a fire under this team and they are where they are because of him. Dont put out that fire. I believe we can win it all and those of you who have been on this board, as well as other boards know that I feel UConn will win every game. So I feel UConn will win the NC if they play their game and playing their game is what Geno has taught them and thats all they know. If they dont play well they may lose but I think Geno will have them ready.

Carnac

Reaction Score
UConn is playing their best basketball of the season right now. I don't know how far they will go, but I like our chances against anyone. Of course, as we advance, the competition will get harder, it's suppose to. That's to be expected as all of the lower weaker seeds are being eliminated. All of the #1 seeds in this year's tournament are legitimate!! None of them are going down easy.

There are about eight teams that if the ball bounces their way, could win it all. In 2013, UConn was the only one seed to make it to the championship game. I don't believe that will happen this year. All four one seeds are strong this year, and don't figure to go down easy.
I don't see UConn failing to get to the regional final. They'll probably see Kentucky in game 3, and Baylor in the regional final. The road to the final four is NEVER an easy one. I sure wouldn't mind trading places with Stanford. Their bracket doesn't appear as tough as ours.

Carnac

Reaction Score
New member here ( thank you).
My major concern Is that of the quick whistle on defense.
Playing tight switching man to man defense leaves a lot up the manner in which the officials choose to call the game.
Lot of bumping and contact transpiring.
Letting them “play”-fine.
If the officials decide to call a “tight” game- bam- bam-bam-couple of quick fouls on 1 and 2’s.
Needing to sit someone early or 4th quarter situations could completely change minutes for the starters and need to go deeper on player rotation.
Not my concern early on , but in sweet 16 could be a real factor.
Welcome to the yard Stymie! :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
I kinda feel like those teams in UConns bracket are sayin....Hey we got Sc____ed we're in UConns bracket. Some of our fans are thinkin Hey we've got a really tuff bracket and thats not fair. I was taught early on by some professional athletes some successful business people and some motivational speakers that if you think you can you can and it you think you cant you cant. That for me has held up over the years watching teams play and even for myself playing sports as well as my daughter. Tryin to be positive all the time is tuff but you gotta try. No one wants to follow a dull, disillusioned, cry baby who always is bringing people down. Geno has lite a fire under this team and they are where they are because of him. Dont put out that fire. I believe we can win it all and those of you who have been on this board, as well as other boards know that I feel UConn will win every game. So I feel UConn will win the NC if they play their game and playing their game is what Geno has taught them and thats all they know. If they dont play well they may lose but I think Geno will have them ready.
This is where UConn wanted to be. This is where UConn expected to be. They're down to their last 6 games. Win and advance. Don't look past the next game (opponent). This tournament will not be easy. Competitively, this might be the most wide-open tournament in years, as perhaps eight or nine teams could win the national championship. Stanford, UConn, Texas A&M, South Carolina, NC State, Maryland and Baylor all have résumés worthy of a No. 1 seed.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This is why the kids came to UConn. Geno has them ready. I really like our chances alot. Injuries, early foul trouble and health would hurt us. What it will come down to is execution, guts, and a winning attitude.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
You mean other than 50% of our coaching staff, including our head coach, is quarantining in CT?
Correct...no bad news today about players...coaches that are left.

Remember, we still have Autumn in reserve, anointed by Geno, himself.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom