Why UConn isn't good (spoiler alert) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why UConn isn't good (spoiler alert)

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree with your line of thought and do believe in Diaco's defensive abilities, but I think it has to be conceded that we've had a lot of head-scratching scenarios on that side of the ball the past few games that go beyond personnel issues

We've learned he can't turn water into wine.

Reaction Score
I keep telling the wife, who is far less optimistic about UCONN football than I am, that judgement of this team needs to be made in two years. When I see our starting roster on TV or Rentschler it is a list of pretty much sophomores and freshman with a sprinkle of upper class men. Unfortunately time is going to tell and that may take a few more years.

Last edited:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Diaco had to tear it down and it stills needs a lot of work. He needs time to right this ship that was left capsized by the former coaching staff.

Reaction Score
Even if Diaco is the right guy (still an IF) and even if the talent improves there are a lot of obstacles in front of them. The beefing up of the non conference schedule due to the misguided notion the AAC competition wasn't going to be good enough could turn out to be the biggest of them all. Gonna be hard to turn it around and get the fans back starting out 1-3 every year.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Tarbutt was going to be the long FG kicker and kickoffs. He missed one and FG and could not reach the end zone on kickoffs. Yeah, a wasted RS as Puyol has stepped up in all aspects. Yes, Whaler, our only all conf candidate probably.

Reaction Score
When you tell me I'm wrong - let me know who on this team is going to be all-conference. Or should be all conference. Puyol has the best chance. Think about that.
I wont tell you your wrong but what do you suggest to fix it. Maybe the louisville hospitality comitee??

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I wont tell you your wrong but what do you suggest to fix it. Maybe the louisville hospitality comitee??

It takes what the staff is attempting to do. They are recruiting against solid programs and winning some of the battles.

They might not be successful because they aren't hiring pros and they aren't calling for grades to be changed.

They took the harder road. That is something to be proud of.

Reaction Score
It takes what the staff is attempting to do. They are recruiting against solid programs and winning some of the battles.

They might not be successful because they aren't hiring pros and they aren't calling for grades to be changed.

It also doesn't seem like we're taking the JUCO-with-questionable-academics route, which many programs thrive off of.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We will never load up on jucos the way a few schools do and we won't consider a juco who has a blemished academic past. Our best hope is a stray kid who is a quality student that ended up at a juco in an attempt to improve his FBS prospects, not someone who couldn't qualify out of high school.

It is kind of interesting that the only jucos we've brought in (at least in my memory) were QB's (Lorenzen, Whitmer and Anderson).

Reaction Score
right now we are not a good team, but I have noticed a sprinkling of Diaco's recruits being inserted into the starting lineup. they look like very athletic players for the future. My biggest disappointment is the regression of Ron Johnson. He ran hard as was a handful last year, but this year he is going down too easy. I wish they would stop sending him wide where he cant square up his shoulders. He is a straight on runner, but even that has been suspect this year. He is the only Diaco recruit I am concerned about.

Reaction Score
right now we are not a good team, but I have noticed a sprinkling of Diaco's recruits being inserted into the starting lineup. they look like very athletic players for the future. My biggest disappointment is the regression of Ron Johnson. He ran hard as was a handful last year, but this year he is going down too easy. I wish they would stop sending him wide where he cant square up his shoulders. He is a straight on runner, but even that has been suspect this year. He is the only Diaco recruit I am concerned about.
I never saw "it" with Johnson. Not last year or this year. To my eyes, Delorenzo is better. We need to recruit some studs at RB for sure. Disappointed Mariner hasn't gottner more burn.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Only one I think has a chance is Jhavon Williams. I actually think he is a real good corner who defenses a lot of passes.

Puyol, Williams (maybe), and Newsome could find his way in as a returner.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Good post; hard to argue with. I once worked for a Marine two-star who liked to say that "you can't make chicken salad from chicken ". Not to say we don't have some kids that can play, but not nearly enough and too many glaring gaps. Especially wrt depth. It's why HCBD doing everything he can to shorten games and avoid track meets makes great sense to me but we have a number of deficiencies - some we can cover up and some are badly exposed in certain match-ups:

1) you can't play soft on D if your offense can't maintain some possession;
2) you can't live on three-step outs and slants if you can't back up the coverage with a downfield threat;
3) you can't establish a consistent downfield passing threat if you can't protect the QB;
4) we simply can't cover the crossing patterns behind lbs in front of the safeties and letting recievers outrun tackles underneath exacerbates that weakness;
5) we really can't handle up-tempo without better depth than we've developed to this point.

HCBD has this roster playing competitive football and I want to give him credit for that, I'm not on the 'no wins=no progress' bandwagon. I'm waffling on whether or not I consider the Cincy game to be some kind of regression, I'm more inclined to think that it was just a nightmare matchup in terms of a team designed to take advantage of the things we're not good at. What is largely unmentioned, but I think was pretty decisive, was their defensive game plan to jump short routes and crowd the line; once they either adjusted to BrS running (or we decided he'd taken enough hits...), we couldn't keep our offense on the field and our defense was basically thrown to the wolves....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good post; hard to argue with. I once worked for a Marine two-star who lliked to say that "you can't make chicken salad from chicken ". Not to say we don't have some kids that can play, but not nearly enough and too many glaring gaps. Especially wrt depth. It's why HCBD doing everything he can to shorten games and avoid track meets makes great sense to me but we have a number of deficiencies - some we can cover up and some are badly exposed in certain match-ups:

2) you can't live on three-step outs and slants if you can't back up the coverage with a downfield threat;
3) you can't establish a consistent downfield passing threat if you can't protect the QB;
4) we simply can't cover the crossing patterns behind lbs in front of the safeties and letting recievers outrun tackles underneath exacerbates that weakness;
5) we really can't handle up-tempo without better depth than we've developed to this point.

HCBD has this roster playing competitive football and I want to give him credit for that, I'm not on the 'no wins=no progress' bandwagon. I'm waffling on whether or not I consider the Cincy game to be some kind of regression, I'm more inclined to think that it was just a nightmare matchup in terms of a team designed to take advantage of the things we're not good at. What is largely unmentioned, but I think was pretty decisive, was their defensive game plan to jump short routes and crowd the line; once they either adjusted to BrS running (or we decided he'd taken enough hits...), we couldn't keep our offense on the field and our defense was basically thrown to the wolves....

And people get upset when the term "military intelligence" is profferred as an oxymoron? Of course you can make chicken salad from chicken.

Reaction Score
Good post; hard to argue with. I once worked for a Marine two-star who liked to say that "you can't make chicken salad from chicken ". Not to say we don't have some kids that can play, but not nearly enough and too many glaring gaps. Especially wrt depth. It's why HCBD doing everything he can to shorten games and avoid track meets makes great sense to me but we have a number of deficiencies - some we can cover up and some are badly exposed in certain match-ups:

I have to agree that the defense was spent from being on the field the whole game. shirreffs was doing more running than passing in the 1st half and changed it up in the 2nd half standing in and looking for receivers more. Unfortunatley, he was mostly off target. It was his worst game. I think the reason for is happy feet is because he doesn't trust the O line to protect him for very long. they definitely need to have more athleticism in the defensive backfield.

Reaction Score

That's why the NFL likes our program.

Reaction Score
I remember the year under PP that we were pleasantly surprised when we actually scored a point in the 2nd half of games. We really thought that was progress for the team. this team is far and away better than that team.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
And people get upset when the term "military intelligence" is profferred as an oxymoron?

Biz, BTW my 'filter' excuse does not invalidate your observation. The same boss once instructed me on a writing project that "I need this written to a graduate level... in crayon."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom