Why UConn isn't good (spoiler alert) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Why UConn isn't good (spoiler alert)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Johnson's biggest asset last year was that he was the only one that didn't fumble. He averaged 3.5 ypc and 35yds/game.

Reaction Score
Some will argue. It's silly. As soon as you see them against a Cincinnati - it's clear the roster is paper thin.

I'm a forever optimist and still believe this team can go bowling and although this team does have talent on it, it lack the talent depth to sustain drives and make stops on defense. Diaco is killing it on the recruiting trail and I think next year we'll definitely see depth improvement.

Reaction Score
And people get upset when the term "military intelligence" is profferred as an oxymoron? Of course you can make chicken salad from chicken.

Reminds me of an elitist academic boss I once had, who, in an impassioned speech to the employees, asked us all to display a much greater work ethnic.

Reaction Score
They spent the last half decade getting their a**es kicked in recruiting. Beat FCS teams for players and you've got an FCS team.

Thank God Diaco doesn't subscribe to the fever dream that you can take a bunch of guys no one wants and coach them into the little engine that could.

I don't think anyone would have a reason to disagree with you. I also think that is what every head coach sets out to do.

Reaction Score
We need playmakers. Every team we face has players that turn what should be short to average gains and break a,big play. We don't and it puts enormous pressure to be perfect in play calling and execution. Same thing on defense. It can't all be on the schemes at all times.

This is really the key. More than ever, football is an explosive game. You have to have the ability to get an "easy" touchdown or to create a "big play" sort of defense that creates sacks and turnovers. There is simply zero margin for error when you have to drive down the field a bit at a time or hope to bend but not break.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
When you say talent, do you mean size strength and speed? Or, do you mean unfamiliar with the finer points of winning football?

Because other than a handful of anchor draggers, I think it's more of the latter, which can certainly be taught.

Reaction Score
Any coach in any sport will tell you you need explosive athletes to win consistently.

Reaction Score
Agree with the sentiment though I will say there is a difference between being as talented as the top tier of the league and having talent in general.

Nobody here but the biggest of die hards will tell you we are as talented as Memphis, Temple, Cincy, Houston or even USF or ECU.

But, I will argue that we have some talent on both sides of the ball. I think Shirreffs, Newsome and Thomas are talented and could become major playmakers next year on offense. Conversely I think Jhavon Williams, Fatukasi, Joseph and Summers have shown they have some talent on defense and can step up and make plays.

But to your point you can't win football games with 2-3 talented players on both sides of the ball. It takes a talented core of over 6-8 truly gifted players to win consistently and 8-10 talented guys to win every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom