Why UConn is a 1 seed | The Boneyard

Why UConn is a 1 seed

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Pretty simple. UConn lost to the top 3 teams in the country and no other team has them on their schedule. Stanford lost to Oregon twice Texas and UCLA. Louisville beat Oregon early on and has lost to Ohio St, Florida St,and Syracuse. With that said UConn has pretty much beat everybody they shouldve. Stanford has stuggled against teams they shouldve beaten and LVille has be a little up and down. Some fans are saying what about Maryland. MD has lost to NC State Northwestern Iowa and South Carolina. I dont think it close unless UConn loses another game.

I gotta think UConn is in FT Wayne Indiana and it will be a very competitive bracket. LVille Indiana Ohio St MD Stanford could all be there and that would be a big money draw.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I'll put it out there first...Louisville lost 2 of their games because they were missing 1 of their starters, and the Committee will take that into consideration. :rolleyes:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The Huskies don't have any marquee wins which is going to be an issue. Maryland doesn't either but Louisville beating Oregon, Kentucky, and NC State might make them the 4th #1.

Reaction Score
Wishful thinking. Unless Maryland and Louisville lose, they are four and five. Those four losses from Maryland were early, plus all four are top teams. Massey currently has Northwestern ranked sixth, ahead of Stanford.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Pretty simple. UConn lost to the top 3 teams in the country and no other team has them on their schedule.

And they lost all 3 by 16-18 points. How in the world does this make UConn deserving of a #1 seed?

...and has been pointed out in 3 different threads now, Washington St. will have played all 3 after this weekend, so this is a factually incorrect statement.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Wishful thinking. Unless Maryland and Louisville lose, they are four and five. Those four losses from Maryland were early, plus all four are top teams. Massey currently has Northwestern ranked sixth, ahead of Stanford.
Maryland is less deserving than Lville imo, and maybe even NCSU.

Reaction Score
Pretty simple. UConn lost to the top 3 teams in the country and no other team has them on their schedule. Stanford lost to Oregon twice Texas and UCLA. Louisville beat Oregon early on and has lost to Ohio St, Florida St,and Syracuse. With that said UConn has pretty much beat everybody they shouldve. Stanford has stuggled against teams they shouldve beaten and LVille has be a little up and down. Some fans are saying what about Maryland. MD has lost to NC State Northwestern Iowa and South Carolina. I dont think it close unless UConn loses another game.

I gotta think UConn is in FT Wayne Indiana and it will be a very competitive bracket. LVille Indiana Ohio St MD Stanford could all be there and that would be a big money draw.
Why do UConn fans keep lying about this?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Why do UConn fans keep lying about this?
No lie hoopsfan. I am referring to the top teams vying for a one seed. I didnt mean all the teams in America. My post is about the 4th one seed. Who are the top teams that have Baylor Oregon and South Carolina on their schedule?

Reaction Score
Be careful when you say "UConn fans", and just for the record @Tonyc is not lying about that. No other team has played and "lost to the top 3 teams in the country". :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
No lie hoopsfan. I am referring to the top teams vying for a one seed. I didnt mean all the teams in America. My post is about the 4th one seed. Who are the top teams that have Baylor Oregon and South Carolina on their schedule?
Sorry I misunderstood what you meant. Carry on.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
A tip of the hat too @OFID and @Centerstream for the complete story:

Funny how these analytics seem to be consistent in that the 3 top teams are Baylor, Oregon and South Carolina.
Questions:
What team(s) scheduled all 3 teams this season?
What team(s) scheduled 2 of the teams this season?

(Yet the possibility of losing to them means it is a disastrous year for that team.)
Hmm.
Centerstream:
I'm sure you're aware of one team that scheduled all 3 ;). It turns out, as they said in Star Wars, there is another: Washington State. For UConn, all three were non-conference. For Washington St, Oregon was a conference game and the other two were self-inflicted.

The teams that scheduled two of them are Georgia (Baylor [non-conference] and South Carolina), Indiana (Baylor and South Carolina [both non-conference]), Kansas St (Baylor and Oregon [non-conference]) and Oklahoma St (Baylor and Oregon [non-conference]).

To me, it's unsurprising that there was so much agreement. Maybe these really are the three best teams?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I get that this is the homer perspective — and at least it gives us something to talk about other than next year's starting five — but this just isn't how NCAA seeding works, or has ever worked.

Having no bad losses doesn't clinch a high seed. Princeton was undefeated in 2015, and all it got them was an 8 seed. That's a more extreme example, but it's the same principle.

I'm not sure it would've mattered if the games were closer, but the one-sided nature of all 3 losses will only make the committee's decision easier.

Reaction Score
Maryland is less deserving than Lville imo, and maybe even NCSU.
Graciously disagree. The Big 10 is the second best conference this year, according to Massey, while The ACC is fifth. If Maryland holds serve, they will get the fourth seed. Few people are aware just how strong both Iowa and Northwestern are this season. Most pundits are predicting the Big 10 will place the most teams in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Saw the Stanford-OU game last night. Not impressed at all with Stanford. Without their star freshman, they are not a #1 seed. Right now, UConn could beat anyone except the Big 3. They are deserving as the #2 seed in Indiana.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Saw the Stanford-OU game last night. Not impressed at all with Stanford. Without their star freshman, they are not a #1 seed. Right now, UConn could beat anyone except the Big 3. They are deserving as the #2 seed in Indiana.

If you play that card, what are your thoughts on UCONN's showing vs Oregon?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Welp... there you go. Lets just skip the conference tournaments... nothing left to prove.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
, UConn could beat anyone except the Big 3.
you know, I'm just not sure about that
There are a lot of teams out there that look good ...not all the time, but a lot of the time...and most of the time UConn only looks good for portions of a game

Tons of teams out there...a few that come to mind...The various Arizona's, Oregon State, Arkansas
even the Dukies played over their head last night...I'm sure others will have their favs for the list.

And they'll all be thinking..."Here's our one and only chance to take UConn."

It's not going to be easy
Ask ND how it feels.

(Sorry to be a downer...haven't been for a while, but over-exuberance has no rational place this season).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Normally, Tony, I would agree with most of what you say. However, you know as well as I do that Tennessee will get the last number one seed. (LOL). Just for old times sake. UConn will probably be a number 2 seed because everyone except us hates UConn and the committee would not give away that seed to the Team.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
And did UConn impress you in its game against Oregon?

Reaction Score

I have to agree with this as UConn should be the highest #2 seed and in Indiana. Also, UConn wants no part of Oregon and Baylor until the Finals if they go that far.

#1 South Carolina
#2 Baylor
#3 Oregon
#4 Maryland (if they win out)
#5 UConn
#6 Louisville (swap with Maryland if they get beat and LV does not)
#7 Stanford
#8 Northwestern, NC State, UCLA (toss up)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom