Why UConn Doesn't have Depth? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Why UConn Doesn't have Depth?

Reaction Score
Up until this past year, UCONN has almost always had a top post player in combination with an exceptional forward to help shoulder the load.
2007: 6-3 Charles, plus 6-1 Houston
2008: 6-3 Charles and 6-0 Maya
2009: 6-3 Charles and 6-0 Maya
2010: 6-3 Charles and Maya
2011: 6-5 Dolson and Maya
2012: 6-5 Dolson, no top forward though
2013: 6-5 Dolson, 6-4 Stewart
2014: 6-5 Dolson, 6-4 Stewart
2015: 6-4 Stewart, 6-2 Tuck, 6-3 Stokes
2016: 6-4 Stewart, 6-2 Tuck
2017: lacking true big, 5-11 Williams played big and 6-1 Collier
2018: 6-6 Stevens, 5-11 Williams, 6-1 Collier
2019: lacking true big, 6-1 Collier, 6-1 Walker, no true big getting 20+ minutes

It's no coincidence that the rebounding margin was significantly less during the 2 years where two years UCONN lacked a big post presence playing 20+ mpg. If ONO develops, UCONN will be fine. A combination of ONO/Walker is a formidable front line. Especially when your backcourt is Williams/Bueckers. If ONO doesn't develop, it could spell trouble for UCONN.
From 2016...6-3 LOU! :)

Reaction Score
I think UCONN will only sign Anna Makurat. She said she wants to play for UCONN but is still playing in her Europe league and would visit over the summer. She could get paid and go pro but I think she wants to play college ball first. Sadly I don’t think UCONN will sign anyone in the off season unless Geno has something up his sleeve and can find a big post player over seas. If we don’t sign anyone for next season... hate it to be a Debbie Downer but it’s going to be a long season .. u thought our Out of Confrence schedule was hard this season wait till next season... they got Baylor, Oregon, South Carolina. Louisville and a few more. But the following year I have a feeling is going to be a special year. 2020 is already a top class and Geno hasn’t even started deep into the 2020 class. UCONN will be fine.. next year might be the rebuilding year and our expectations most likely won’t be met but u never know it’s a long season and anything can happen.

Reaction Score
seems to me one part of are problem with depth can be the great players we get. We get Walker and for the next 3 years or so for wings in high school, no room for me there. Williams come in and the 2 players say, no room for me for a few years. How many players have been able to come in and push aside an older starter? Crystal shows the PG candidates wait until she is at least a senior so you can learn for a year, then start. Some don't want to wait a year. Maybe that was a thought for Boston, will I be able to push aside Oliva, or be behind her for three years? Or at best share time. Seems to me Olivia was number 1 and tearing up the international competition until she hurt her knee. And it seems like more and more players who don't see playing time ahead transfer. Maybe Hunter was seeing limited playing time ahead with Walker and Williams. If Coombs was a legitimate 13 rank why would she stay here to not play in the final four. Why not transfer and see if I can build some offensive game. So maybe if you have 5 or 6 great players who take up the playing time it is hard to attract more. You just have to hope you don't have injuries and people can play 40 minutes and not get tired.

Reaction Score
Every year since 2015-2016 was proclaimed to be a rebuilding year and yet...
However I am also a Debbie Downer in looking at next season but would love it if the Huskies prove us wrong again.

Reaction Score
UConn's lack of depth is pretty simple really. Bent, Irwin, and Camara have not worked out. The lack of development by Coombs and the departure of Espinoza-Hunter hurt too, but having only one contributor from the Dangerfield class the past two seasons has been a killer.
I agree, it's been Crystal's class that's really hampered our ability to build depth since outside of Crystal the development of the other players haven't provided the necessary contribution needed

Reaction Score
did Ayana Mitchell ever decide to grad transfer? She would certainly add some strength to the UConn front court............

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Summer practices haven’t even started and it appears that we have a number of BY’ers that are ready to throw in the towel on next season. Here’s my prediction. Geno will field a team next season that, at a minimum, makes it back to a 13th straight FF.

OK, everyone continue on with the discussion of UConn’s lack of depth, lousy recruiting, inability to attract quality transfers, and so on, and so on.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Every year since 2015-2016 was proclaimed to be a rebuilding year and yet...
However I am also a Debbie Downer in looking at next season but would love it if the Huskies prove us wrong again.

Not quite.....anything less than a title was the expectation in 2017-18, and most people expected a Final Four with a shot at a title this year. I'll give you 2016-17. Since UCONN wasn't that good by UCONN standards this past year (ex. 3 losses, "only" winning by 26 ppg, etc) and you lose 2 great players, next year might be a little more difficult but all of WCBB heavy weights are going to be down sans Baylor/Oregon, so UCONN is still well positioned to be a Final Four team even if it's a bumpier road to get there. Keep in mind UCONN will play in Albany again during the regionals which gives them a home atmosphere to get to the Final Four.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not quite.....anything less than a title was the expectation in 2017-18, and most people expected a Final Four with a shot at a title this year. I'll give you 2016-17. Since UCONN wasn't that good by UCONN standards this past year (ex. 3 losses, "only" winning by 26 ppg, etc) and you lose 2 great players, next year might be a little more difficult but all of WCBB heavy weights are going to be down sans Baylor/Oregon, so UCONN is still well positioned to be a Final Four team even if it's a bumpier road to get there. Keep in mind UCONN will play in Albany again during the regionals which gives them a home atmosphere to get to the Final Four.
The closest regional to UConn in 2020 is Greenville, SC. In 2021 it’s back in Albany and in 2022 it moves back to Bridgeport, CT.

Reaction Score
Oh forgot we also play Tennessee , if westbrook ends up staying they could be very good, 3 recruits including one of the top Aussie guards as well. I know it’s Tennessee but still .. but good thing most of the big time games are at home

Reaction Score
So as far as depth goes, what is the issue with playing more the 6 players? Is it a rule of thumb kind of thing or is it just most teams’ talent isn’t good enough to play in close, tough games? I ask because I wouldn’t want to recruit someone I had no actual desire to play. That’s like hiring someone to be on call in case everyone else calls in or quits. Doesn’t seem like a smart move. Are coaches hoping for more development later on? I’m just curious to know what the rationale is for not playing more players in big games.

Reaction Score
"At the same time, over-recruiting can be a problem as well, just look at South Carolina. According to WBBBlog.com, the Gamecocks signed 16 players between 2014 and 2017. Nine of those players left before graduating, or 64%."

Let's see: Nine divided by 16 =56.25%. Even Hemmingway had an editor. This guy deserved one--with rudimentary math skills--too.
to which he would say you could use one for rudimentary spelling skill.

Reaction Score
Hunter was a former #1 recruit and Camara top 50.....lots of schools would've taken them.
As injured as Touly was? Hunter as an uninjured player was undoubtedly a TOP number 1 recruit. Hunter as I recall was worked on at Duke with no success then (injured) was accepted by Geno. Uconn Health worked on her with minimum success. From then on Britiany was allowed to let Geno know when she could play or practice. Her game time showed glimpses of an outstanding player.
Since no one else picked up either of these players I must assume they were not widely recruited as injured. Do you have facts that states otherwise?
So, Until someone shows me otherwise I choose to believe what I saw and read at the time: Geno's extreme compassion.

Reaction Score
So as far as depth goes, what is the issue with playing more the 6 players? Is it a rule of thumb kind of thing or is it just most teams’ talent isn’t good enough to play in close, tough games? I ask because I wouldn’t want to recruit someone I had no actual desire to play. That’s like hiring someone to be on call in case everyone else calls in or quits. Doesn’t seem like a smart move. Are coaches hoping for more development later on? I’m just curious to know what the rationale is for not playing more players in big games.
I get what you say! It make sense, however Geno recruits players, in normal years, they are spread among 4 years. So, he has players in 3 levels of development and Seniors (who are expected to know the system and meet demand (key word expected). He too tends to take walk ons or nice kids with SOME talent whose task is to be a practice player, and most know their role.
Then during the season Geno decides whom he can TRUST and whom he cannot often he is right sometimes he is not as in Jefferson. As to whom will play in big games Experience, Talent, Trust and necessity appears to be the method Geno uses.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As injured as Touly was? Hunter as an uninjured player was undoubtedly a TOP number 1 recruit. Hunter as I recall was worked on at Duke with no success then (injured) was accepted by Geno. Uconn Health worked on her with minimum success. From then on Britiany was allowed to let Geno know when she could play or practice. Her game time showed glimpses of an outstanding player.
Since no one else picked up either of these players I must assume they were not widely recruited as injured. Do you have facts that states otherwise?
So, Until someone shows me otherwise I choose to believe what I saw and read at the time: Geno's extreme compassion.
There was no indication of an injury when Batouly transferred to UConn. As a freshman, Batouly had earned a starting role at KY in the last 3rd of the season. Subsequently KY had multiple players transfer, including Batouly. Batouly was from the NY area and had been recruited by UConn in HS, although I don’t believe an offer was made.

Geno was looking for Bigs and an offer was made and accepted by Batouly.

Reaction Score
There was no indication of an injury when Batouly transferred to UConn. As a freshman, Batouly had earned a starting role at KY in the last 3rd of the season. Subsequently KY had multiple players transfer, including Batouly. Batouly was from the NY area and had been recruited by UConn in HS, although I don’t believe an offer was made.

Geno was looking for Bigs and an offer was made and accepted by Batouly.
Are you saying that I what I believed for 2 years was not true? That Touly transferred in as a Healthy player and at Uconn became injured? Interesting, since she arrived I believe she had been injured in Ky.
All the time I thought Geno compassionate--I must revise that thought!

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Had she not sprained her MCL in practice in November, I think we would have seen a completely different Batouly this year. I think she was ready to go and would have been major muscle off the bench. I will predict that she's a big contributor next season with a fully healed knee.

Also, FWIW, if you haven't checked out her Instagram, she's won an award from Student Life for her leadership work on campus, completely separate from the team. It's good stuff.

Reaction Score
I think UCONN will only sign Anna Makurat. She said she wants to play for UCONN but is still playing in her Europe league and would visit over the summer. She could get paid and go pro but I think she wants to play college ball first. Sadly I don’t think UCONN will sign anyone in the off season unless Geno has something up his sleeve and can find a big post player over seas. If we don’t sign anyone for next season... hate it to be a Debbie Downer but it’s going to be a long season .. u thought our Out of Confrence schedule was hard this season wait till next season... they got Baylor, Oregon, South Carolina. Louisville and a few more. But the following year I have a feeling is going to be a special year. 2020 is already a top class and Geno hasn’t even started deep into the 2020 class. UCONN will be fine.. next year might be the rebuilding year and our expectations most likely won’t be met but u never know it’s a long season and anything can happen.
long seasons or short: it is Uconn WBB and I'll love it and complain and love it...
The last 2 pre-seasons were Woe is Me season is on it's way. Making the NCAA, is iffy, Sweet 16 not happening, Elite 8 impossible, FF Never, NC are you crazy?? Some way some how some thing happened and Geno pulled and pushed and huffed and puffed and nearly blew the NC house down. I continuously say of Geno NEVER SAY NEVER!!

Reaction Score
I think the "big" problem we had this year was that Azure was mis-used under-used in her first eligible year. She deserved more minutes by how she impacted games - of greatest note was that we were winning the semi-game against ND with her on the floor, but Geno pulled her for some reason. We lose, she leaves...

Reaction Score
There isn’t a blanket reason for it. But one trend that emerged is that the Huskies’ recent recruiting classes are boom or bust. Either UConn gets a top-five player which turns into a star or they get someone outside the top-10 that doesn’t see much playing time or transfers out.

Since Griffin isn’t a top 10 talent, history kind of shows that she probably won’t have major success at UConn. The only players out side of the top 10 that had major success at UConn are Heartley, Gabby, Nurse, Dolson, and Stokes, and even with that only Williams, Heartley, Dolson were All Americans.
Geno thinks she is talent. He’s right more than most.

Reaction Score
I think the "big" problem we had this year was that Azure was mis-used under-used in her first eligible year. She deserved more minutes by how she impacted games - of greatest note was that we were winning the semi-game against ND with her on the floor, but Geno pulled her for some reason. We lose, she leaves...

I think that is a big factor for Azura not returning. I wonder if it was Geno's loyalty to all of the AA he has recruited that kept him from using her more.
Geno seems to only sub for fouls purposes or just pure annoyance of the players play. I would like to see a more healthy usage of rotation for nutrition more than anything and to allow players to get familiarity in their role.

Reaction Score
There isn’t a blanket reason for it. But one trend that emerged is that the Huskies’ recent recruiting classes are boom or bust. Either UConn gets a top-five player which turns into a star or they get someone outside the top-10 that doesn’t see much playing time or transfers out.

Since Griffin isn’t a top 10 talent, history kind of shows that she probably won’t have major success at UConn. The only players out side of the top 10 that had major success at UConn are Heartley, Gabby, Nurse, Dolson, and Stokes, and even with that only Williams, Heartley, Dolson were All Americans.

You forgot Kelly Farris. And Renee Montgomery. And for the period of UConn’s early success most of the top players were from outside the top ten.

MTC

Reaction Score
There's really not that many posts that fit the way UConn plays. They could cast a wider net, but just getting someone who is ranked in the top-50 by Hoopgurlz or whatever is not going to guarantee success.

I mean, what has Maryland, Texas, or Tennessee done lately with those post players? UConn did recruit Kalani Brown and Lauren Cox. So that covers Baylor for you.

I'm not really seeing the recruiting failure here - the great posts that UConn failed to recruit. I guess Geno didn't go to Alaska to recruit Ruthy Hebard. That's about all I can come up with.
If Nelson-Ododa were to go down with a serious injury we would be forced to realized that Geno has been playing with fire by not having decent backup players for every position.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom