Why TJ Gets Its | The Boneyard

Why TJ Gets Its

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This one is more of an eyebrow raiser: Freshman fullback Jazzmar Clax (5 feet 11, 239 pounds) could get carries at tailback in a rushing offense that is the worst in the country at 46 yards a game.
"We've got two-back sets, but not many," Weist said. "I'd like to get him on the field, and I'm not going to wait just to play him at fullback. I think he does a good job carrying the ball and in protection."

Clax provides the pass protection McCoombs and Max could not. 2 back sets means power football.

Reaction Score
I am certain we see some form of our old power running game. USF couldn't be more perfect to try it out on.

Practice 5 different power run plays over and over this coming week, run it out of different formations, and try and win conservative (another word for ugly).

My guess is they don't want Boyle throwing more than 20 times if possible so as to keep him off his backside.

Reaction Score
Clax provides the pass protection McCoombs and Max could not. 2 back sets means power football.

I read that quote a little differently, I think he is saying that he is moving Claxx to RB because we don't use a lot of 2 backs which is causing him to not see the field and he is too good to not be playing.

Claxx is going to be given a shot as the lone RB in the backfield is how I read it. He did look good in the spring game.

So this essentially becomes the first move that P would never make. The RB position looks to be completely up for grabs, its about freaking time.

BTW it just occurred to me why P mentioned that Boyle would be the QB, he doesn't want Weist to given full credit for making that move in case it works out. P wants to be able to say, hey I was going to do that too.

Reaction Score
I saw it both ways and wasn't sure what TJ meant. Ultimately, I think it is pretty clear that there is a lot more to TJ Weist than we've seen thus far. Fingers crossed.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Interesting on all points. Will he block or be the RB. Also, how was Max at blockin for CW in the few times he was in? Did he whiff at blocks?

Reaction Score
I THINK WE JUST BECAME 20x's HARDER TO PREPARE FOR. I know it's not saying much, but I recall a post a year or so back which was originated off athlonsports.com that was quotes from opposing team coaches. Do not remember word for word, but do recall the message basically being "UConn is very plain vanilla and easy to prepare for." I believe it was a year after the infamous "Wallpaper full of plays" comment from GDL. I recall thinking to myself that Burton may have been on to something. This is first time I am actually intrigued to see our offense in a long time.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Interesting on all points. Will he block or be the RB. Also, how was Max at blockin for CW in the few times he was in? Did he whiff at blocks?

I believe the purpose of both the statement, and how (if he is sincere) Claxx will be used is so defenses won't see him come in and automatically know that it will be a pass and he will be kept in to block.

Reactions: THC
Reaction Score
Moves that PP would never make. This was a big issue . Seeing Lamelle's name mentioned as a receiver is good to see. Standing around all game as a freshman waiting to return a punt was crap in my opinion. How do you stay warmed up so to speak and then go into that high pressure situation. making people tackle Claxx and Max would be a real departure from last year.

Reactions: THC

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Love it. Tackle the big backs.... If you can.

Reaction Score
PP, thank you for your interest in UCONN football. If you ever mention, after Boyle is a stud, that it was your idea, you are insane. I might have wished for an embolism but l'm not that kinda guy. Enjoy a nice quiet retirement.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
He gets it because he's old enough to be their father not their grandfather which gives him the ability to RELATE!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Another guy I'd like to see on the field at some point this season is Marquis Vann. I mean, not just special teams (although he is pretty good there). He was all over the field at the spring game and has the size that I like at LB. I'd love to see what he'd be able to do, especially as a Hybrid type of DE/LB pass rusher. From what I saw in the Spring Game and what I see of him covering kickoffs, he's usually one of the first guys down the field, I think he has the size and speed blend that could be an asset on D. We need to generate a more consistent pass rush on D and he could help.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He gets it because he's old enough to be their father not their grandfather which gives him the ability to RELATE!

Player: Coach we'd like to play music during practice.
FHCPP: You kids and your rock and roll music. I ain't playing none of that hippy devil music dag gum it. Give me Glen Miller any day... George you like that Glen Miller right?

Reaction Score
I believe the purpose of both the statement, and how (if he is sincere) Claxx will be used is so defenses won't see him come in and automatically know that it will be a pass and he will be kept in to block.

I agree ... But IMO it doesn't really matter. Coaches know coach speak. They don't expect to learn anything about a game plan or a strategy from an interview, and therefore don't read too deeply into it.

I think the best thing TJ's got going for him right now is that very little of what we may see next Saturday exists on any of the game film from UCONN's first 4 games. All of UCONN's opponents over the last 3 years had hundreds of games to choose from.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
True KGun but during our last regime, when McCummings came in did the defense need to wonder what play was called?

As far as film to study, this is why it doesn't hurt much that Boyle was announced as the starter. Shy of HS film (which may not be pertinent to what we will run under TJ) there is nothing to study on this kid.

Reaction Score
Player: Coach we'd like to play music during practice.
FHCPP: You kids and your rock and roll music. I ain't playing none of that hippy devil music dag gum it. Give me Glen Miller any day... George you like that Glen Miller right?
Wait a minute both of those guys are younger than me and I went to Woodstock. You are putting them in a generation where my grandmother was. I just think GDL was a control freak who as other people on this site have said was smarter than everybody else and had a attitude of "if you can't learn this system from me you are hopeless". A new season starts next Saturday so Go Huskies!!!!!!!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wait a minute both of those guys are younger than me and I went to Woodstock. You are putting them in a generation where my grandmother was. I just think GDL was a control freak who as other people on this site have said was smarter than everybody else and had a attitude of "if you can't learn this system from me you are hopeless". A new season starts next Saturday so Go Huskies!!!!!!!!

GDL: ...of course I like the Glen Miller. I have enough of his sheet music to paper my walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom