Why This Offense is Basketball Poetry by Hoopvision68 | The Boneyard

Why This Offense is Basketball Poetry by Hoopvision68

Reaction Score
Not sure if it's in here, but they had an article on UConn's "Chin" series (basically a pass, back screen, followed by a flare screen) which I really enjoyed. Kind of a modern throwback to the old Princeton Offense days.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
He does a great breakdown of UConn's offense. he did one last year during the tourney that was superb as well.

I’m a fan of this guy’s videos, I really like the way he analyzes different offensive looks, and he does a good job explaining the ideas behind the X’s and O’s. Will give this a watch after work for sure, thank you for sharing.

Reaction Score
I’m a fan of this guy’s videos, I really like the way he analyzes different offensive looks, and he does a good job explaining the ideas behind the X’s and O’s. Will give this a watch after work for sure, thank you for sharing.

You need to watch it more than once. If you try to follow it during a game, you lose track of the ball.

Reaction Score
Who thinks Jonathan Givony went through and understands this much film for his Stephon Castle Draft Pick Review?

Reaction Score
Who is the assistant coach most involved in this offense?

It's a team effort.

The Xs and Os are impressive, but nothing a good college or hs coach isn't aware of. Recruiting the right pieces to execute, skill development, and getting the team bought into the system are the most impressive things to me. You can't run any of this if your guys don't want to share the ball or have the skill to make the extra pass.

That being said, I've been told from as good of a source as you'll get that Luke and especially Kimani have their prints all over the offense.

Reaction Score
It's a team effort.

The Xs and Os are impressive, but nothing a good college or hs coach isn't aware of. Recruiting the right pieces to execute, skill development, and getting the team bought into the system are the most impressive things to me. You can't run any of this if your guys don't want to share the ball or have the skill to make the extra pass.

That being said, I've been told from as good of a source as you'll get that Luke and especially Kimani have their prints all over the offense.

You think any high school coach could get their guys to run it right? This is next level stuff.

Reaction Score

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The unselfishness of our guys, and their eagerness to screen and set teammates up, is what sets us apart, beyond the inventiveness of the sets themselves.
Agreed. Lots of teams could run things like this, but if you've got a player worried about getting his, it ruins the whole thing. We also have good passers all over the court. We essentially start three PGs, a "point forward" and a very good passing big.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Thanks for this posting. I learn more about what they were doing in 10 minutes than from all the analysts all season. This explains why Shaka Smart was kind of speechless and then just smiled when it came to commenting why he thought Karaban was so special.

Reaction Score
Always wondered about time of possession as we get into our detailed sets. All of the actions off of the initial play certainly explain it based on what D is giving you and/or mismatched players.

Our starting five plays with such a high IQ-all great passers/cutters/soft hands to catch those tight window passes when needed. Opposing coaches concede that's its really a challenge to defend. Awesome tape/commentary

Reaction Score
The sets are amazing but having knock down shooters is what makes it work so beautifully. A lot of the actions are to briefly open up one of our snipers. And a lot of the cuts leading to wide open buckets are because of defenders afraid of giving an inch to a shooter.

I think we have 3 supremely high IQ players in Newton, AK and Cam. Hurley himself mentioned how the offense didn’t work before AK arrived. DC is a great passer for his size and I can’t say enough about Castle. I think his feel for the game is special but he barely is the primary ball handler and not a shooter so we don’t run a ton for him. And yet he has an incredible motor and never complains.

I don’t know how hard it will be to replace these guys but at least Hurley knows the archetype that works and will have more to sell recruits and transfers than just about any program. It certainly won’t be easy.

Reaction Score
You think any high school coach could get their guys to run it right? This is next level stuff.

Well, good effort but you clearly didn't read my comment big guy.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
It’s really complex. Some of it is scripted, but every cut and screen has options if the defense tries to cut off the primary options. That’s where slipping the screen, hitting the screener on pick and pop or roll, and other options come in. When the players are smart - and they have to have Einstein BBIQs to run this - the options can look improvised though they’re really not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom