Why the wait time between verbal and written commitment. | The Boneyard

Why the wait time between verbal and written commitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
What is the logic of having a waiting period between the time a kid verbally commits and when he sends in his letter of commitment. Why shouldn't a coach be able to have a recruit sign the letter the same day?

Reaction Score
Agree with Fishy, furthermore I'm not sure a teenager is capable of making a 'quick' lifetime contract after a hard sale from a grown arse man. Saying yes is about the most you are going to get at that moment.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
College sports is big business just like rock 'n roll. Lots of teens sign huge contracts as minors. Is it fair to a coach who has a wife and family to support to devise a system that does not allow him to prepare for the upcoming season until these letters arrive. Lets go back to the car salesman. Can you imagine if a buyer said he would buy the car but doesn't really want delivery for six months and may change his mind.
However, the salesman has to hold the car until the six month period is up. How can you run a business with those rules.?
Then people wonder why coaches cheat? They would have to be stupid not to bend the rules in order to feed their families.
If a kid commits verbally, he should have to sign a letter within two weeks. And this letter should bind the player to that coach and school for a year or they don't play college ball for a year. This would eliminate a lot of the intrigue and corruption in the recruiting business.

Reaction Score
The benefit of a LOI is almost entirely with the school, with severe potential negatives for the kid. We hashed this out repeatedly with Daniel Hamilton (surely you remember these discussions) and why he was waiting so long.

Reaction Score
Then people wonder why coaches cheat? They would have to be stupid not to bend the rules in order to feed their families.
If a kid commits verbally, he should have to sign a letter within two weeks. And this letter should bind the player to that coach and school for a year or they don't play college ball for a year. This would eliminate a lot of the intrigue and corruption in the recruiting business.

The average coach of a team in the NCAA tournament makes a salary of around $1.5M/year. That's exclusive of bonuses, incentives, payments from apparel companies, etc. So your "feed their families" point is silly.

More importantly, you want to force the 18 year old to pledge a year of his life to a coach who can - and often does - bounce to a new school before the kid sets foot on campus. In what universe does that strike you as fair?

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
The benefit of a LOI is almost entirely with the school, with severe potentialT negatives for the kid. We hashed this out repeatedly with Daniel Hamilton (surely you remember these discussions) and why he was waiting so long.
My problem with this is simple. The UConn basketball program wants the state to spend 150 mil for a new civic center for its team.
That is a lot of investment to be completely depended on moody 16 year olds. I don't see the great downside to a free year of college, playing
hoops. DHam was an unusual case. He didn't have to verbally commit. He could have just showed up on campus like Daniels and then signed. And if Ollie wants to hold a scholarship hoping DHam shows up, let him do it. Its his job.

Reaction Score
You asked why a kid would wait. The answer is obvious: it's not in their best interest.

There really isn't anything else to discuss.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
The average coach of a team in the NCAA tournament makes a salary of around $1.5M/year. That's exclusive of bonuses, incentives, payments from apparel companies, etc. So your "feed their families" point is silly.

More importantly, you want to force the 18 year old to pledge a year of his life to a coach who can - and often does - bounce to a new school before the kid sets foot on campus. In what universe does that strike you as fair?
There is provision now for that case and no reason to not continue it
Aren't a lot of 18 years in the army. Let's hope that don't have your philosophy when the shooting starts.
How many college teams are there that do not make the tournament? How many college teams are out there including woman's teams?
These coaches all make 1.5 mil. a year?
And if you do make 1.5 mil, you live a 1.5 mil life style. Big house, college expenses, taxes, ex-wives, etc.
And unlike the army, nobody is putting gun to anyone's head if he walks away. He just has to sit out a year or pay his own way, like the rest of us.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
You asked why a kid would wait. The answer is obvious: it's not in their best interest.

There really isn't anything else to discuss.

He can wait as long as he wants to verbally commit. But once he commits, then it has to be followed by the letter or the coach is free to give his scholarship away to someone who wants to actually commit.

Reaction Score
I always wondered this about recruiting as well. Essentially a verbal commit means nothing because the kid can change his mind at any time until he signs the LOI. We have been left at the alter in recent years as far as this goes with Harkless, Melvin, Jackson, Ali, and to some extent Bynum if you want to include him. If I were a coach, I wouldnt feel 100% comfortable about a recruit until he officially signs.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Because it provides at least some buffer between a car salesman of a coach refusing to take no for an answer and a 17-year old kid and his family.

and it gives a car salesman like Squid time to talk him out if it

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Because it provides at least some buffer between a car salesman of a coach refusing to take no for an answer and a 17-year old kid and his family.

and it gives a car salesman like Squid time to talk the commitment out of the kid if he so desires

Reaction Score
If a kid commits verbally, he should have to sign a letter within two weeks. And this letter should bind the player to that coach and school for a year or they don't play college ball for a year.
These same kids have never seen a contract in their life. They haven't purchased a car, house (of course) or other binding agreement. A coach makes an enticing and convincing pitch, the kid's mind is blown and he says yes (I would bet emotionally). Do you really expect that kid to sign right then and there? Or better question do you really expect their parent to allow that kid to sign right away? They are not picking a sport to dribble and shoot, but a college to grow, mature and get an education. Of course it may not result in that but nonetheless its part of the decision.

I once sold insurance and the only ones that contracted right away were ones that knew what they wanted, were familiar with the consequences, and had experience in the matter. None of these apply to 'that' teenager. It would be hell in the NCAA world if all kids were pressured to execute a binding agreement without deliberation, examination and true understanding. This is the parent(s), and love ones' main responsibility and trust me they aren't in any hurry. Sorry dude, all teenagers need protection mostly from themselves.

Reaction Score
I always wondered this about recruiting as well. Essentially a verbal commit means nothing because the kid can change his mind at any time until he signs the LOI. We have been left at the alter in recent years as far as this goes with Harkless, Melvin, Jackson, Ali, and to some extent Bynum if you want to include him. If I were a coach, I wouldnt feel 100% comfortable about a recruit until he officially signs.
We have also "encouraged" committed kids to "look around". Translation, we think we just spotted a better kid at your position so run along. I believe the kid I'm thinking of was named Will Harris and he ended up at UVA.

This happens every where by the way. Just this past football signing day Louisville did it to RB from South Carolina. OP is right, college sports is big business. The kids deserve as much leverage as they can get in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom