Why the offense will be better next year | The Boneyard

Why the offense will be better next year

Reaction Score
Gonna pick on nelson a little bit from this thread but he's a big boy so he can take it:
1) I don't know if the problem is our big men or the stupid offense we run. We run almost all isolations with kick outs for 3's, and penetration always starts 25-30 feet from the basket.
We "run" virtually zero isos. The only times we play iso-ball are at the end of the shotclock once our stuff has broken down against a good defensive team (this happens to everybody from time to time) or when Jalen's on the bench and Rodney loses his mind. One of the surest signs that Jalen really gets it, from a PG perspective, is that despite his natural talent he almost never devolved into 1v1 basketball. I honestly wish he'd have done it a little more this year!

Just look at the game yesterday. Even when he started getting buckets, it came from within the flow of the offense – no clear-outs, or pounding the rock, etc. It was good, smart, modern PG play.

As for starting our penetration 25-30 feet from the basket... we do that b/c Jalen is freaking unguardable when he's dribbling downhill. It's all based upon the high screen-and-roll, and Jalen's relative gravity, which is smart. If you throw a second defender at him then he's usually able to split them and we can play 5-v-4 for a second, and if you don't he'll turn the corner every time and either rain mid-range Js or toss lobs.

The offense was still mostly subpar, but big problems that existed at the end of the year were all things that should be fixed next year:

• Jalen was the only player on the team capable of taking and occasionally making bad shots, which meant rapid and pointed ball movement from all five our our players was the only way to really punish a double-team. If we'd had another guy out there capable of scoring via dribble penetration past a hard, emergency close-out, we'd 1) get a lot more buckets at the rim, and 2) generate a lot more trips to the line.

This year if you sent a double at Jalen, he had to pick the right pass immediately, then that guy would have to swing the ball to the right spot, and then that guy would maaaaybe have his feet set to catch-and-shoot. If it didn't happen with that level of precision we almost certainly weren't scoring, b/c none of Rodney, Vance or Vital was really that good at putting the ball on the floor to get to the rim even against a scrambling defense.

Alterique, MAL and Larrier are all superb at this very thing. Having just one of them on the court along with Jalen should lead to more easy buckets for us.

• Our two best shooters were just learning to shoot at the college level. We usually see significant improvement in shot selection from the flow of the offense, as well as slight tweaks to footwork & release point when freshmen become sophomores. Both Vance & Vital exceeded my expectations as freshmen, and if they do the same as sophomores we're in really good shape.

• Ollie was addicted to feeding Brimah in the post. It's one of my major gripes with him this year – post touches for Brimah were absolutely worthless, yet we'd still give him 5 or 6 a game. Enoch isn't exactly Moses Malone, and Carlton and Cobb are unknowns at this level, and Durham was waaaay too in love with his Dirk fadeaway (which didn't fall, not once), but any of the above will prove more fruitful than feeding Brimah was. Fewer turnovers, fewer missed shots.

• Facey never understood how to pass out of a double team. Kentan's senior year kind of ended in the middle of February when every coach we faced started sending hard, big-to-big doubles at him. He couldn't see over them so he didn't pass over them, and he had no idea how to adjust. Durham is a MUCH better passer, so if he's our starting 4 I'm less worried about the efficacy of big-to-big doubles. And if it's Larrier/Jackson as our starting pseudo-4, anyone who sends a big-to-big double is asking to give up an open 3 or lay-up.

Ollie seems to have made a point of recruiting big men who can pass, by the way. It's the first or second appositive you see when reading about both Carlton and Cobb, who are limited in other ways (athleticism) but seem to be better basketball players than the guys they're replacing.

• Jalen was injured. I forgot who ran the numbers, but in the 11 games before he turned his ankle he was putting up 17/5/7 on 44/40/88 shooting splits. In the five or six games afterward he went for like 8/3/4 on 36% shooting, and only came alive against Houston & the 2nd half vs. Cincy.

• Ball security will improve across the team. As a sophomore PG Shabazz's turnover rate was 18.3% (19.2% as a frosh). As a sophomore Jalen's turnover rate was 18.1% (18.2% as a frosh).

As a junior, Shabazz's turnover rate was 14.4%. I expect Jalen to make a similar improvement, and that will certainly have a knock-on effect teamwide. Vital's ball security was really impressive the second half of the season, and Vance got rid of his happy feet. Eliminate the 3 TOs a game we got from feeding Brimah on top of that, and we should be in a better spot.

And here's why our offense might not improve as much as we want:

• I am not convinced we will be a good defensive rebounding team, and if that's the case we won't be a good running team. Transition baskets are the lifeblood of many high-level college offenses, and you can't run if you don't rebound. Hopefully Durham and Enoch really make a leap this summer, because Jalen+Alterique+Larrier running 3-on-2 means buckets.

• Teams will not have to sell out to defend us vertically. I sort of killed Amida above, so let me praise him here: The lob was a devastating weapon, and one that teams had to defend against on literally every trip down the court. That in turn opened up space in the mid-range for DHam the last two years, and then Adams this year, because guys couldn't help away from that baseline rim run. If they did it was the easiest two points we could get (and when people ask me "what's your favorite UConn dunk of all-time?" my answer will just be "Amida," because we've never had a dunk scripted into our offense like that and used as such a court-tilting weapon. If you want to see this at the highest level, just watch what Rick Carlisle does with Nerlens Noel on the Mavs for the next decade).

Nobody's going to have to defend the baseline from Enoch like that. Durham, however... I hope KO is clever enough to use Juwan in the Brimah role for at least 70% of our sets next year, especially when teams are hedging hard to keep our PGs out of the lane.

• Catch and shoot. God bless Rodney for finally eliminating the useless-ass ball fake from his game somewhere around midseason. You want proof that our staff is constantly working to improve fundamentals? There you go. Vital did the same (his ability to absorb lessons like this during the course of his freshman season is really heartening, and he's already the best off-the-ball cutter we've had since Denham). Vance has been a little slower, and needs to understand that a lot of our ball movement is designed to get him the split second of airspace he needs to hoist. If he hesitates, he's just subverted the whole process.

The one who really worries me, though? Larrier. Go back and watch the first 3 games and you'll see him get so many catches in good spots with the defense scrambling behind the play to catch up... and he lets them. He's so talented that he was still scoring 15 ppg on 50% shooting, but he made those shots harder than they had to be. And on top of that, there's a demoralizing, team-wide rhythm-breaking effect when your go-to scorer eschews good looks from within the team's structure in order to freelance (this was my biggest complaint about DHam).

I'm convinced that can and will be coached out of him. I'm hoping it happens by November rather than March.

As for whether or not the defense will be better... um, we might be boned.

Reaction Score
Gonna pick on nelson a little bit from this thread but he's a big boy so he can take it:

We "run" virtually zero isos. The only times we play iso-ball are at the end of the shotclock once our stuff has broken down against a good defensive team (this happens to everybody from time to time) or when Jalen's on the bench and Rodney loses his mind. One of the surest signs that Jalen really gets it, from a PG perspective, is that despite his natural talent he almost never devolved into 1v1 basketball. I honestly wish he'd have done it a little more this year!

Just look at the game yesterday. Even when he started getting buckets, it came from within the flow of the offense – no clear-outs, or pounding the rock, etc. It was good, smart, modern PG play.

As for starting our penetration 25-30 feet from the basket... we do that b/c Jalen is freaking unguardable when he's dribbling downhill. It's all based upon the high screen-and-roll, and Jalen's relative gravity, which is smart. If you throw a second defender at him then he's usually able to split them and we can play 5-v-4 for a second, and if you don't he'll turn the corner every time and either rain mid-range Js or toss lobs.

The offense was still mostly subpar, but big problems that existed at the end of the year were all things that should be fixed next year:

• Jalen was the only player on the team capable of taking and occasionally making bad shots, which meant rapid and pointed ball movement from all five our our players was the only way to really punish a double-team. If we'd had another guy out there capable of scoring via dribble penetration past a hard, emergency close-out, we'd 1) get a lot more buckets at the rim, and 2) generate a lot more trips to the line.

This year if you sent a double at Jalen, he had to pick the right pass immediately, then that guy would have to swing the ball to the right spot, and then that guy would maaaaybe have his feet set to catch-and-shoot. If it didn't happen with that level of precision we almost certainly weren't scoring, b/c none of Rodney, Vance or Vital was really that good at putting the ball on the floor to get to the rim even against a scrambling defense.

Alterique, MAL and Larrier are all superb at this very thing. Having just one of them on the court along with Jalen should lead to more easy buckets for us.

• Our two best shooters were just learning to shoot at the college level. We usually see significant improvement in shot selection from the flow of the offense, as well as slight tweaks to footwork & release point when freshmen become sophomores. Both Vance & Vital exceeded my expectations as freshmen, and if they do the same as sophomores we're in really good shape.

• Ollie was addicted to feeding Brimah in the post. It's one of my major gripes with him this year – post touches for Brimah were absolutely worthless, yet we'd still give him 5 or 6 a game. Enoch isn't exactly Moses Malone, and Carlton and Cobb are unknowns at this level, and Durham was waaaay too in love with his Dirk fadeaway (which didn't fall, not once), but any of the above will prove more fruitful than feeding Brimah was. Fewer turnovers, fewer missed shots.

• Facey never understood how to pass out of a double team. Kentan's senior year kind of ended in the middle of February when every coach we faced started sending hard, big-to-big doubles at him. He couldn't see over them so he didn't pass over them, and he had no idea how to adjust. Durham is a MUCH better passer, so if he's our starting 4 I'm less worried about the efficacy of big-to-big doubles. And if it's Larrier/Jackson as our starting pseudo-4, anyone who sends a big-to-big double is asking to give up an open 3 or lay-up.

Ollie seems to have made a point of recruiting big men who can pass, by the way. It's the first or second appositive you see when reading about both Carlton and Cobb, who are limited in other ways (athleticism) but seem to be better basketball players than the guys they're replacing.

• Jalen was injured. I forgot who ran the numbers, but in the 11 games before he turned his ankle he was putting up 17/5/7 on 44/40/88 shooting splits. In the five or six games afterward he went for like 8/3/4 on 36% shooting, and only came alive against Houston & the 2nd half vs. Cincy.

• Ball security will improve across the team. As a sophomore PG Shabazz's turnover rate was 18.3% (19.2% as a frosh). As a sophomore Jalen's turnover rate was 18.1% (18.2% as a frosh).

As a junior, Shabazz's turnover rate was 14.4%. I expect Jalen to make a similar improvement, and that will certainly have a knock-on effect teamwide. Vital's ball security was really impressive the second half of the season, and Vance got rid of his happy feet. Eliminate the 3 TOs a game we got from feeding Brimah on top of that, and we should be in a better spot.

• I am not convinced we will be a good defensive rebounding team, and if that's the case we won't be a good running team. Transition baskets are the lifeblood of many high-level college offenses, and you can't run if you don't rebound. Hopefully Durham and Enoch really make a leap this summer, because Jalen+Alterique+Larrier running 3-on-2 means buckets.

• Teams will not have to sell out to defend us vertically. I sort of killed Amida above, so let me praise him here: The lob was a devastating weapon, and one that teams had to defend against on literally every trip down the court. That in turn opened up space in the mid-range for DHam the last two years, and then Adams this year, because guys couldn't help away from that baseline rim run. If they did it was the easiest two points we could get (and when people ask me "what's your favorite UConn dunk of all-time?" my answer will just be "Amida," because we've never had a dunk scripted into our offense like that and used as such a court-tilting weapon. If you want to see this at the highest level, just watch what Rick Carlisle does with Nerlens Noel on the Mavs for the next decade).

Nobody's going to have to defend the baseline from Enoch like that. Durham, however... I hope KO is clever enough to use Juwan in the Brimah role for at least 70% of our sets next year, especially when teams are hedging hard to keep our PGs out of the lane.

• Catch and shoot. God bless Rodney for finally eliminating the useless-ass ball fake from his game somewhere around midseason. You want proof that our staff is constantly working to improve fundamentals? There you go. Vital did the same (his ability to absorb lessons like this during the course of his freshman season is really heartening, and he's already the best off-the-ball cutter we've had since Denham). Vance has been a little slower, and needs to understand that a lot of our ball movement is designed to get him the split second of airspace he needs to hoist. If he hesitates, he's just subverted the whole process.

The one who really worries me, though? Larrier. Go back and watch the first 3 games and you'll see him get so many catches in good spots with the defense scrambling behind the play to catch up... and he lets them. He's so talented that he was still scoring 15 ppg on 50% shooting, but he made those shots harder than they had to be. And on top of that, there's a demoralizing, team-wide rhythm-breaking effect when your go-to scorer eschews good looks from within the team's structure in order to freelance (this was my biggest complaint about DHam).

I'm convinced that can and will be coached out of him. I'm hoping it happens by November rather than March.

Very, very good post Matrim. You get and understand the game very well. Always appreciate your insight!

One thing that I will add (and I am more on the optimistic side of how our offense will fare next year), is that we will be operating an offense that will have a center who can catch passes from guards that drive and dish. Brimah had terrible hands and when a guard penetrated a generally good decision to dish to a big man down low, was often a bad decision to pass to Brimah. That will not be the case with Enoch and Juwan. Our offense will therefore by more dynamic and harder to guard.

Reaction Score
great post Matrim, well thought out and I agree. We do need a big ir 2 to step up and make plays because it is great when you can run the offense in an inside-out style, but we had no one to throw it to this year who could do anything with it. Facey for a nice stretch, yes, but he went back to his old self unfortunately when needed the most and to be honest he was always a black hole if he wasn't making shots, rarely a positive pass always lobs back out like the others. They will be better on that end, lots of questions when the run back though.

Reaction Score
Brimah is excellent passing out of the post, and passing from the high post, back door passes too, and don't forget quick passes from oncoming double teams to wide open shooters from 3.

Or at least he was yesterday.

I think he just figured it all out.

Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of this. I never felt like we fully utilized the lob to Brimah. Every game there were possessions where he was open and he would either be looked off or shoveled a bounce pass that he caught maybe 50% of the time. Aside from Adams, nobody on the roster was hard-wired to throw those passes, and our offense suffered because of it. As a result, I thought Brimah was unfairly bashed for a lot of this season because he was asked to, in addition to what you said, do things he wasn't comfortable doing. A guy like D-Ham disguised his weaknesses and accentuated his strengths in a way that was sorely missing from this years team.

Your point on the offense not running any isos is right on the money, but I don't think that's a good thing. Every offense has to be sustained through that at some point and I thought the offense looked better when players were given the freedom to attack off the dribble without a ball screen. Adams, especially, did not benefit from being paired with Brimah as a pick and roll partner.

Reaction Score
Brimah is excellent passing out of the post, and passing from the high post, back door passes too, and don't forget quick passes from oncoming double teams to wide open shooters from 3.

Or at least he was yesterday.

I think he just figured it all out.

You serious? Awful passer, I said on another post his pass to an open Vital (i think) off the low post came right out of his hands and was delivered perfectly. First and only one ever! He can only hand off and lob over defenses on the top of the key, black hole on O. We will get better on that end for that reason alone as our 4 was the same thing.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Wait...does this mean Ollie can actually coach when he has a PG? hmmm that runs counter intuitive to the normal narrative around here.

C

Chief00

Confirmed - Chief approves. Excellent analysis - two points really resonated with me. 1) The wasted attempts to post Brimah that usually would result in a turnover or a bizarre throw at the basket. 2) Facey not willing to play the inside out game. He seldom passed out of a double.
While in theory I agree with establishing a post game - Brimah doesn't have one and Facey did not take advantage of the benefit of one - open guys on the 3 line.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The one who really worries me, though? Larrier. Go back and watch the first 3 games and you'll see him get so many catches in good spots with the defense scrambling behind the play to catch up... and he lets them. He's so talented that he was still scoring 15 ppg on 50% shooting, but he made those shots harder than they had to be. And on top of that, there's a demoralizing, team-wide rhythm-breaking effect when your go-to scorer eschews good looks from within the team's structure in order to freelance (this was my biggest complaint about DHam

I always enjoy your basketball analysis, but I've got a nit to pick with this one.

3rd game into the season, the kid was a year+ removed from competitive ball. You didn't think it would take him some time to get his rhythm, step, and instincts back? I expected him to look like that (hesitant, a step slow) for the 1st half of the season or so.

I expect next year will be very much the same, as he'll have the added problem of coming back from an ACL. I think it will be less a matter of coaching it out of him, and more a matter of his body, mind, and game adjusting back to the speed of the college game.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score

Hey, have you been reading my mind?

Seriously, though, the observations about Facey not really knowing how to pass out of the double team, all of the perimeter guys learning they have to be ready to catch and shoot, Larrier's tendencies on offense and Durham taking the Brimah lob-finisher role are spot on.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
also the biggest thing (which it better happen) is that Adams won't need to look over to ollie to run the offense

Reaction Score
I always enjoy your basketball analysis, but I've got a nit to pick with this one.

3rd game into the season, the kid was a year+ removed from competitive ball. You didn't think it would take him some time to get his rhythm, step, and instincts back? I expected him to look like that (hesitant, a step slow) for the 1st half of the season or so.

I expect next year will be very much the same, as he'll have the added problem of coming back from an ACL. I think it will be less a matter of coaching it out of him, and more a matter of his body, mind, and game adjusting back to the speed of the college game.
I hope you're right! I'll choose to spend the next 8 months worried sick about it, though. I may have moved to California but I'm still a New Englander, you know? ;)

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I hope you're right! I'll choose to spend the next 8 months worried sick about it, though. I may have moved to California but I'm still a New Englander, you know? ;)

Yeah, if you are expecting me to feel sorry for you, not gonna happen. You should be relaxing out there. I'm going outside into the frigid cold right now.

Reaction Score
If we get a grad big man who can not turn the ball over and rebound, I think we could be a top 25 team. I don't care if he scores 0.2 points per game.

Only thing that worries me is larrier: how will he recover mentally and physically? I know he's still limping but he is a VERY good player. He was elite our first few games, and that was after not playing for a year. I would only be slightly be surprised if he ended up being the next Paul George.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score

One way our defense will be better is ball pressure on the opposing point guard.

Adams to this point has only been an average on-ball defender. Both Gilbert and Ashton-Langford have better credentials in that area.

I have serious concerns about our interior defense though. Enoch has been a train wreck.

Reaction Score
One way our defense will be better is ball pressure on the opposing point guard.

Adams to this point has only been an average on-ball defender. Both Gilbert and Ashton-Langford have better credentials in that area.
Agree. Was thinking this morning that with Adams playing 10% fewer minutes (hopefully), and expending less energy when he's out there on the offensive end (Alterique & MAL can carry the load from time to time), he'll have more to give on the defensive end. I think we'll see that.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If we get a grad big man who can not turn the ball over and rebound, I think we could be a top 25 team. I don't care if he scores 0.2 points per game.

We got that guy in Cobb, but he's a JuCo transfer. The only thing we don't know is if he can get up and down the court a few times without having a heart attack.

Reaction Score
We got that guy in Cobb, but he's a JuCo transfer.
I think we should be concerned about Cobb's turnovers, actually. He trie passes he shouldn't at times he shouldn't.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Agree. Was thinking this morning that with Adams playing 10% fewer minutes (hopefully), and expending less energy when he's out there on the offensive end (Alterique & MAL can carry the load from time to time), he'll have more to give on the defensive end. I think we'll see that.

That happened with Kemba over the course of 2011. He lost steam during the BE regular season, but with Lamb coming on, and Shabazz eventually stabilizing, he had more gas for those two tournament runs. Improved his offense too.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think we should be concerned about Cobb's turnovers, actually. He trie passes he shouldn't at times he shouldn't.

Fair enough, I don't claim to know his game. Just read a couple of articles. I'm hoping those passes can be coached out of him pretty easily, as it is said he has good BBall IQ. Perhaps playing with better talent lets him play within himself to a greater extent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom