Why the early signing period is critical to schools like UConn. | The Boneyard

Why the early signing period is critical to schools like UConn.

Reaction Score
Our early signees are now bonded to the Huskies. In the past, when signing day was the first week of February, schools like UConn would have to continue to recruit their early commits for another month and a half. Now, they can move onto other targets without having to spend time and resources with kids that have signed LOI.

As the recruiting cycle continues, P5 schools and other competitors will miss out on their top targets. In the past they would simply raid commits of smaller or less successful programs. Meaning the Huskies would have to spend time and energy defending kids that had already committed to Storrs. The early signing period has ended much of this piracy. It protects our signees.

The early signing and recruiting period also takes place when more successful programs have to spend time preparing for post season play, while a school in a downturn like the Huskies can have a more open field and spend all of its time on targets.

In the old system, we would have zero signees at this point. Now, we have a solid base from which to build without worrying our class could be destroyed any time in the next couple of months. Still, I hear Huskies fans complain about the early signing period. Why?

Reaction Score
Husky fans complain because a multi-year NFL head coach who had several 10 win seasons at UCLA hasn't proven he can recruit in New Jersy.

Husky fans and complaining go together. Look at the chick basketball board after 2 loses on whether Geno can still coach.

Reaction Score
Our early signees are now bonded to the Huskies. In the past, when signing day was the first week of February, schools like UConn would have to continue to recruit their early commits for another month and a half. Now, they can move onto other targets without having to spend time and resources with kids that have signed LOI.

As the recruiting cycle continues, P5 schools and other competitors will miss out on their top targets. In the past they would simply raid commits of smaller or less successful programs. Meaning the Huskies would have to spend time and energy defending kids that had already committed to Storrs. The early signing period has ended much of this piracy. It protects our signees.

The early signing and recruiting period also takes place when more successful programs have to spend time preparing for post season play, while a school in a downturn like the Huskies can have a more open field and spend all of its time on targets.

In the old system, we would have zero signees at this point. Now, we have a solid base from which to build without worrying our class could be destroyed any time in the next couple of months. Still, I hear Huskies fans complain about the early signing period. Why?
I’d add that the timing of the Edsall firing & Mora hiring also proved to be critical to the early signing period. It gave Mora plenty of time to retain the verbal commits he wanted to/could keep and hit the ground running on recruiting new kids while other programs were scrambling to fill vacancies. Major props to the AD for that.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Can anyone comment on what the quality of this class is so far compared to the last few classes? Did any of these guys have P5 offers?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Can anyone comment on what the quality of this class is so far compared to the last few classes? Did any of these guys have P5 offers?

If you go based on offers you'll be disappointed. I just hope 5 of these guys can be credible FBS starters in 2 years.

Reaction Score
Did any of these guys have P5 offers?
Just the P5 offers (not including any G5 offers):

Victor Rosa (Edsall): BC
D'Mon Brinson (Edsall): South Carolina
Donovan Branch (Edsall): Georgia Tech, Iowa State and Syracuse
Matt Hoffman (Mora): VaTech
Derek Spearman (Mora): Memphis, Miami (FL), Nebraska and Purdue

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score

Nice.

Thanks 'Medic.

Reaction Score

FIFY

Reaction Score
In the time they had to work, they built a good foundation. As they continue to fill a good mix of age and experience there is a lot to be excited about. Honestly I’m drinking the coolaide but that’s what fans do. It does seem like this staff has a plan which they made public and are working to fill it out. This new staff does seem very capable of landing guys they get on campus which is very excited.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My only issue with early signing period in December is it has led to the proliferation of mid-season firings and need to get a new staff in place so as to not get slaughtered this week. BTW, kudos for UConn AD for knowing this and getting ahead of the curve. What a nice thing to know we have an AD who knows the game and how to game the game.

I'd rather have a Oct 1st signing period and then the Feb period.

95% of the known D1 players can sign in October and enjoy rest of senior year. Late bloomers still have full senior season to get recruited and signed in Feb. I would have caveat if a kid signs in October and there is a coaching change at school he signed with he can re-sign in Feb.

Reaction Score
My only issue with early signing period in December is it has led to the proliferation of mid-season firings and need to get a new staff in place so as to not get slaughtered this week. BTW, kudos for UConn AD for knowing this and getting ahead of the curve. What a nice thing to know we have an AD who knows the game and how to game the game.

I'd rather have a Oct 1st signing period and then the Feb period.

95% of the known D1 players can sign in October and enjoy rest of senior year. Late bloomers still have full senior season to get recruited and signed in Feb. I would have caveat if a kid signs in October and there is a coaching change at school he signed with he can re-sign in Feb.

I agree October would work well. If you believe in a kid after his junior year, pull the trigger.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom