Why the American may be perfect for UConn. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why the American may be perfect for UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Great Read::: "Death To the BCS" by Weis and he makes great points for 16 team playoff. Would have to get past the current bowl set up and the $ and payoffs made. No lawsuits yet so read it. Calls for 10 team by FBS conference and 6 at large. {{{March madness in December....how awesome}}}}!!!!!
First round at the schools with the highest 8 seeds. (Money for the school). Use the remaining bowls thru New Years Day for the quarter and semi's. Also discusses the corruption at the bowls and the money kickbacks at the expense of the participant schools.

BTW....FCS expanded to 24 teams this year. NCAA needs to get the cujones' and administer the NCAA FBS Championship....... Bowls, TV, Conference commissioner stranglehold (Delaney and swofford) and $ is the problem.

A March Madness styled football playoff would generate more excitement, make more money, and simply make more sense. But unfortunately a handful of schools would rather preserve power, control and money at the expense of making more money for everyone. These schools shudder at potential of having upstarts play in a championship game, essentially football equivalents of Butler. The reality is that their lock on things is a stranglehold, so you have play by the rules of the hand you are dealt, at least for the foreseeable future.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
We are beyond f-cked if we are still in the AAC in 2018. It will mean all that we are working on now to get in to a better conference will have failed. We should have AAU by then. We should be somewhat competitive after 3+ seasons with Diaco leading us by then. The campus population will be significantly larger. If this all works out and we can't find our way into a real conference, there's no hope. Considering how much has changed at UConn since I started just in 08, I have a feeling several large developments are going to be announced over the next few years that we haven't heard of yet. I could see a couple new dorms going up soon.
A little OT but I got a call from UConn asking for money and was told that they currently have students living in Nathan Hale Inn. That's crazy! They wanted some donation money for new dorms. So to your point, I believe new dorms are already in the plans as population on campus continues to grow.

Reaction Score
A March Madness styled football playoff would generate more excitement, make more money, and simply make more sense. But unfortunately a handful of schools would rather preserve power, control and money at the expense of making more money for everyone. These schools shudder at potential of having upstarts play in a championship game, essentially football equivalents of Butler. The reality is that their lock on things is a stranglehold, so you have play by the rules of the hand you are dealt, at least for the foreseeable future.

Agree with you on that. hoping to see expansion as pressure mounts. Will happen when the SEC gets locked out or p5 school gets shafted by being #5/#6 and maybe we see it go to 8 teams. TV money to the schools/conferences could be good. If it does...immense pressure will exist to open it up with a wild card to non p5.

Reaction Score
I can't envision any scenario involving 16 - purely based on the logistics of it all. My money would be on 6 or 8 teams being much, much more likely.
All other college divisions use the 16 team format without any problem with the format.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
This is why it is silly to trash Rutgers; because no matter what, they're in a conference that all they need to do is figure out how to win it one year and they're in the playoffs.

Nope. Even if they win the B1G, that's no guarantee of being in the playoffs.

Reaction Score
There are some very valid points to the OP. Reviving this football program may be easier and in the long run a better thing than going into the ACC or B1G right away. We ultimately need to end up in one of those conferences. But, it's just as important to revive the football program and that will require winning which will be easier in the AAC.

I watched a little of the BC hoops game today - just because I'm a little demented and enjoy the train wreck that is their basketball program. Anyway, I don't think anyone was there. Maybe something like 1,000 or 2,000....maybe. The place was dead silent. Now, granted they were playing Philadelphia Univ., but my goodness, if you are their AD you have to be concerned. The ACC assures BC a stream of money, but it does nothing to assure success within the conference. In fact, for BC and their hoops programs, it probably assures them of perpetually being in the bottom half of that conference. Are they really in such a good place?

UCONN needs to win football games right away. It's my sincere hope that Mr. Diaco is the real deal. If he is and UCONN football wins consistently, the rest will eventually take care of itself.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
As you are seeing right now there is going to be a separation among the leagues players… those spending on football and those that are not. We see Temple, Umass, and others which are on life support at D1. Those that are going to spend in this league are UConn, Cincy, USF, UCF, ECU and Houston. All others will start to drift farther and farther behind these five. The same will happen in the other leagues and we will eventually consolidate. We need out of AAC as soon as possible. We can't be tied down by all these albatross!

Reaction Score
There are some very valid points to the OP. Reviving this football program may be easier and in the long run a better thing than going into the ACC or B1G right away. We ultimately need to end up in one of those conferences. But, it's just as important to revive the football program and that will require winning which will be easier in the AAC.

I watched a little of the BC hoops game today - just because I'm a little demented and enjoy the train wreck that is their basketball program. Anyway, I don't think anyone was there. Maybe something like 1,000 or 2,000....maybe. The place was dead silent. Now, granted they were playing Philadelphia Univ., but my goodness, if you are their AD you have to be concerned. The ACC assures BC a stream of money, but it does nothing to assure success within the conference. In fact, for BC and their hoops programs, it probably assures them of perpetually being in the bottom half of that conference. Are they really in such a good place?

UCONN needs to win football games right away. It's my sincere hope that Mr. Diaco is the real deal. If he is and UCONN football wins consistently, the rest will eventually take care of itself.

As I have said in other threads, BC is irrelevant up here. Fanbase is not what is portrayed. They are #7 behind: Pats, Sox, Bruins, Celts, BC HOCKEY, BU HOCKEY........

Reaction Score
As you are seeing right now there is going to be a separation among the leagues players… those spending on football and those that are not. We see Temple, Umass, and others which are on life support at D1. Those that are going to spend in this league are UConn, Cincy, USF, UCF, ECU and Houston. All others will start to drift farther and farther behind these five. The same will happen in the other leagues and we will eventually consolidate. We need out of AAC as soon as possible. We can't be tied down by all these albatross!

Lets beat up on them as they drift backward. Good for us in the long run.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
A little OT but I got a call from UConn asking for money and was told that they currently have students living in Nathan Hale Inn. That's crazy! They wanted some donation money for new dorms. So to your point, I believe new dorms are already in the plans as population on campus continues to grow.
I lived there my junior year! I really think it's just a matter of time before they announce it, you see the new apartments in Storrs Center, I'd say for new incoming faculty

Reaction Score
Let's look at the future of college football. Next year the four team playoff begins.

Okay that's where reality ends and speculation begins in this post.

My guess, the ratings are through the roof, they dwarf the bowls. The playoff is expanded to eight teams by 2016. Once again the ratings are huge and the money is in the billions. It becomes sixteen teams by 2018.

The American should have an automatic bid to the expanded tourney (maybe even the eight team version). Or an undefeated or one loss American team will likely be invited.

UConn can compete for a title in the American much easier than in than versus Florida State of Ohio State. Our chances for making the tourney are much better in the American. The American gives us a much easier road to the tourney.

Then win four games and we're national champs. Done

As much sense as an expansion of the playoffs makes to us it is likely to get a lot of pushback from certain SEC corners. The SEC office has some real concerns about what any expansion past 6 teams (1&2 get byes on the first game) would mean to the perceived value of their regular season. With many large home venues and a new network starting up next year keeping the value of the regular season (and the $ within the SEC) is seen as very important.

Reaction Score
The one thing that makes me chuckle about Syracuse or Rutgers fans talking about UConn being stuck in this conference, without an autobid (and not that I'm happy with it), but neither program will sniff being their conference's representative in the playoff for quite a while. They're not even close to being competitive with the top of those conferences.
sure... same was said about Texas A&M and Missouri.

Reaction Score
Fact is, BC in in the ACC, a P5 conference. Even if only one person goes to a game, they get the money from the ACC. UConn can fill the stands and it will still be behind BC. Very sad indeed.
As I have said in other threads, BC is irrelevant up here. Fanbase is not what is portrayed. They are #7 behind: Pats, Sox, Bruins, Celts, BC HOCKEY, BU HOCKEY........[/quote

Reaction Score
Fact is, BC in in the ACC, a P5 conference. Even if only one person goes to a game, they get the money from the ACC. UConn can fill the stands and it will still be behind BC. Very sad indeed.
We will not be behind BCU in the national rankings. Their ceiling is 6-6.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We will not be behind BCU in the national rankings. Their ceiling is 6-6.

Their ceiling is 6-6? Yet they are 7-5 and gave FSU the best game they had all season. They also sent a player to the Heisman Presentation.

Their ceiling is no lower than UConn's. This is just dumb.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Don't get sucked in by the supposed greatness that is ACC FB. There is FSU, and Miami (when they are allowed to cheat) and that's it. The third best team has it's name used a synonym for under-achievement. The rest are consistently mediocre or worse.

BC can absolutely win the ACC, except they won't.

Same goes for Syracuse for whom a 6-6 season and a date against perennial B1G bottom feeder, Minnesota, is cause for jubilation. Talk about a fan base reaching the acceptance stage...you should see them over there talking about our 3 win season as if they've put the Grob era so far in the rear view that it didn't happen.

Reaction Score
Don't get sucked in by the supposed greatness that is ACC FB. There is FSU, and Miami (when they are allowed to cheat) and that's it. The third best team has it's name used a synonym for under-achievement. The rest are consistently mediocre or worse.

BC can absolutely win the ACC, except they won't.

Same goes for Syracuse for whom a 6-6 season and a date against perennial B1G bottom feeder, Minnesota, is cause for jubilation. Talk about a fan base reaching the acceptance stage...you should see them over there talking about our 3 win season as if they've put the Grob era so far in the rear view that it didn't happen.

They are like a poor man's Clemson, with even less winning. Plus they are in Central New York.

Reaction Score
.......what concerns me is can the fans do their part without whining the first time there's an illegal procedure?

I'm a fan and I don't think we should be doing anything illegal.

Reaction Score
As much sense as an expansion of the playoffs makes to us it is likely to get a lot of pushback from certain SEC corners. The SEC office has some real concerns about what any expansion past 6 teams (1&2 get byes on the first game) would mean to the perceived value of their regular season. With many large home venues and a new network starting up next year keeping the value of the regular season (and the $ within the SEC) is seen as very important.

THIS! Networks are shelling out hundreds of millions to broadcast regular season & conference championship games. The last thing ESPN & FOX want is to see these regular season games become de-valued.

I think we will eventually see an 8 team tournament but it will be 5 or 6 yrs before that happens & that will be it. It is never going to 16.

An 8 team playoff will be very difficult for the AAC to penetrate. UCF wouldn't get a sniff if there was one this year & Lville probably wouldn't have gotten in if there was one last year.

UConn need out of the AAC immediately

Reaction Score
You're not seriously comparing aTm & Mizzou with Syracuse & Rutgers are you?
Nope... just the situation of moving conferences and everyone underestimating how impactful those schools could be in the mightiest of all conferences.

Reaction Score
THIS! Networks are shelling out hundreds of millions to broadcast regular season & conference championship games. The last thing ESPN & FOX want is to see these regular season games become de-valued.

I think we will eventually see an 8 team tournament but it will be 5 or 6 yrs before that happens & that will be it. It is never going to 16.

An 8 team playoff will be very difficult for the AAC to penetrate. UCF wouldn't get a sniff if there was one this year & Lville probably wouldn't have gotten in if there was one last year.

UConn need out of the AAC immediately

If the 8 team makes lots of money (and it will) it will definitely go to 16 games for MORE MONEY. The 16 team concept is already proven at the FCS level. Football dollars could dwarf the NCAA Basketball Tourney. It's all about the Benjamins.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
An 8-team playoff would be at best the same structure as the current BCS bowls. 5 CC bids + highest ranked G5 + 2 at large.

It would most likely be P5 + 3 at large

But could be top 8 based on Committee vote.

None of those really help UConn in the AAC. Need to get out, soon.

Reaction Score
If the 8 team makes lots of money (and it will) it will definitely go to 16 games for MORE MONEY. The 16 team concept is already proven at the FCS level. Football dollars could dwarf the NCAA Basketball Tourney. It's all about the Benjamins.

It is also about who gets the Benjamins. In the opinion of many in P5 conferences March Madness has taken value from the regular season and shifted to the tournament. The NCAA gets it and after skimming its share distributes the remainder to all participating conference. The P5 will not allow this to happen in FB they have too many Benjamins at stake. To put it another way Delaney, Slive, Swoford, etc. would all flunk kindergarten since they will not share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom