Why Sunday's Game Was Especially Important | The Boneyard

Why Sunday's Game Was Especially Important

Reaction Score
Well, sure it was a fantastic win for UConn.

But even before it started, we were all winners. Maybe I was a little emotional because it was Jimmy V Day and cancer research means a lot to me. But I got pretty teary over something else: seeing 15000 rocking fans not staying home to watch the Patriots or put leaves on their roses, or whatever, but coming to watch women play a game designed by and for men.

A couple of games ago, I brought one of my sons, and he successfully ignored the game by texting etc on his phone. More than a bit frustrated, I gently pointed to the crowd: 30 years ago, this would have been more than UConn drew in an entire season. Only UTenn and Old Dominion (I'm guessing) drew these crowds. Now, a number of teams do, and many others draw decently. All these fans, many of whom are male, are excited by how young women play the sport (brilliantly). He put his phone down.

There are so many wrongs in this world and gender inequality remains one of them. But step-by-very slow step they get addressed. And WCBB is doing its part, big time.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

But even before it started, we were all winners. Maybe I was a little emotional because it was Jimmy V Day and cancer research means a lot to me. But I got pretty teary over something else: seeing 15000 rocking fans not staying home to watch the Patriots or put leaves on their roses, or whatever, but coming to watch women play a game designed by and for men.

A couple of games ago, I brought one of my sons, and he successfully ignored the game by texting etc on his phone. More than a bit frustrated, I gently pointed to the crowd: 30 years ago, this would have been more than UConn drew in an entire season. Only UTenn and Old Dominion (I'm guessing) drew these crowds. Now, a number of teams do, and many others draw decently. All these fans, many of whom are male, are excited by how young women play the sport (brilliantly). He put his phone down.

There are so many wrongs in this world and gender inequality remains one of them. But step-by-very slow step they get addressed. And WCBB is doing its part, big time.
You stink bags. It takes little to make me emotional these days and you did it again. I'm holding you accountable. Now just leave me alone.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You stink bags. It takes little to make me emotional these days and you did it again. I'm holding you accountable. Now just leave me alone.
Man, I thought you were a tough dude.

Reaction Score
Not me Mil. The older I get, the less it takes.

JordyG- - - I'm right with ya! Since I retired from teaching on June 15th 2000 at 3:32pm I am way more and easier emotional than ever before! It amazes me what might set me off. For example my first New England Wrestling Champion surprise showing up at L&M Hospital after my pacemaker surgery drove me to heavy-duty tears when he walked in the room! No reason I can figure, except we share a bond/moment that will last forever in both of us! My long-time Asst. and I was blessed with coaching over 360+ wonderful human beings as well as Wrestlers from fantastic families over the 27 years!

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
How did we get so old so fast?

@warbler13 , @RSHERMVIKES , and @JordyG (and distinguished other Boneyarders, who have commented in this thread)

When it comes to the subject of age (and putting things in perspective), what cracks me up is remembering the conversations I had with @HuskyNan , @EricLA , @ucbart , and others about the Taurasi/Beard debate (back when The Boneyard was on the rivals site, but before the Scout site). I told them how I was doing a film session with then-Mercury GM Seth Sulka in preparation for the 2004 WNBA Draft.

At the time of said film session (Spring 2004, before the NCAA Tournament):

- Breanna Stewart and Moriah Jefferson were both nine years old.
- Abby Waner was a junior in high school (she is now 31 years old, married, and recently welcomed her first child), and Tina Charles was a junior in high school.
- @EricLA was EricSanDiego
- Geno Auriemma's teams had made 7 Final Four appearances (up to 18 Final Four berths now).

Heck, even oldecoach was "not so oldecoach" back then! :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
@warbler13 , @RSHERMVIKES , and @JordyG (and distinguished other Boneyarders, who have commented in this thread)

When it comes to the subject of age (and putting things in perspective), what cracks me up is remembering the conversations I had with @HuskyNan , @EricLA , @ucbart , and others about the Taurasi/Beard debate (back when The Boneyard was on the rivals site, but before the Scout site). I told them how I was doing a film session with then-Mercury GM Seth Sulka in preparation for the 2004 WNBA Draft.

At the time of said film session (Spring 2004, before the NCAA Tournament):

- Breanna Stewart and Moriah Jefferson were both nine years old.
- Abby Waner was a junior in high school (she is now 31 years old, married, and recently welcomed her first child), and Tina Charles was a junior in high school.
- @EricLA was EricSanDiego
- Geno Auriemma's teams had made 7 Final Four appearances (up to 18 Final Four berths now).

Heck, even oldecoach was "not so oldecoach" back then! :)
Isn't it amazing how time just flies? I am enjoying getting older, and hopefully wiser, but I miss the ability to run around and be way more physically fit like I was in my 20's and 30's. By the way, you are the main reason I developed a like for the Duke women's team. I'll never feel the same way about Duke men, but I always root for Duke women, even if your head coach is a head case. ;)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I miss the ability to run around and be way more physically fit like I was in my 20's and 30's

It can be difficult to find the time to exercise, and it can take a while to get the ball rolling so to speak as people age, but there's no reason people can't be physically fit in their 40's, 50's, 60's etc. I really got a 2nd wind around 40. I'd been going downhill since mid 30's and then turned it around.

Reaction Score

Gender equality, isn't there yet: But you saw much of Martin L. Kings Washington DC's speech come to life:
(paraphrasing) he said something along these lines : I can see a day when little black girls play with little white girls.
What you see is not just playing together, living together, but loving each other--for the persons they are---His dream has come a long way to being true. Not in 5 life times as some suspected but in less than one.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Only UTenn and Old Dominion (I'm guessing) drew these crowds.

Iowa (and some other midwest schools had pretty solid attendance in the 80's:

Wikipedia

Unprecedented attention was shown to the Hawkeyes under Stringer,[41] as evidenced by the record-setting 22,157 fans that watched Iowa play Ohio State on February 3, 1985, in Carver–Hawkeye Arena.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom