Why Samson Johnson is primed for breakout year | The Boneyard

Why Samson Johnson is primed for breakout year

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony article. I'm really curious to see how much better he'll be this season.

“He's unique,” Hurley said. “He kind of came into school as a stretch [power forward] without a consistent 3-point shot. He's had to reshape himself and develop a different identity. The game is positionless, anyway, but he's obviously a major problem for people in the ball screen game. The dunks he had last year were crazy. He's taken a lot of steps in his career here and I thought last year was a big confidence builder. He's physically strong. He's got confidence. We're going to use him differently. He's a unique center. We're right now building a system for him to play in.”

Alternate access:

Why UConn men's basketball senior Samson Johnson is primed for breakout year: 'Table is set for him'

Reaction Score
He reminded me so much of. Cliff
Except Cliff had they corner J
If he had that . I would love to be his agent

Reaction Score
The fact that they are building certain portions of the system to fit him are testament to the staffs flexibility. They changed their whole offensive strategy after the new mexico state loss. That led to a natty.
They don't just have a system that they plug in, which a lot of coaches do. Unbelievable, this guy

Reaction Score
Watching him get totally manhandled by Edey in the championship game, I have my doubts about his strength to battle effectively in the paint against large 5s, and his inability to stay out of foul trouble (not to mention that one of his 5 fouls was an illegal screen, a foul that he was called for numerous times during the season....why can he not get that what he does when setting a screen while continuing to move is a foul!?)

Reaction Score
Watching him get totally manhandled by Edey in the championship game, I have my doubts about his strength to battle effectively in the paint against large 5s, and his inability to stay out of foul trouble (not to mention that one of his 5 fouls was an illegal screen, a foul that he was called for numerous times during the season....why can he not get that what he does when setting a screen while continuing to move is a foul!?)
Edey gave DC fits too so let’s ease up a bit, the dude was a generational college big lol

Reaction Score
Edey gave DC fits too so let’s ease up a bit, the dude was a generational college big lol

Far from fits remember he had 17 points until basically garbage time and he started fast. The middle of the game DC gave him fits actually. There was a major difference in what DC did and SJ did physically on he and a couple others defensively no denying that. But I have faith he’ll improve somewhat he looks stronger. The staying out of foul trouble is worrisome though as he engages physically more.

If Reed becomes what he can we may not have to worry about foul trouble they will just share the position as required. And I think Reed will be very good.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There aren’t any Zach Edeys in CBB

Reaction Score
If they're building a system for Johnson, I'll assume he's starting.
Or Reed isn’t catching on as quickly as hoped.

If DH moves to a system that pushes the ball to flex to the depth, Samson can be really effective. Some of his best minutes last year were against St John’s, which were up and down.

Samson’s strength are his vertical athleticism and endurance.

In any kind of half court game, especially one with a strong/skilled 5, he tends to get exposed quick.

Poor rebounding
Lack of feel for cutters on defense
High center of gravity, easily hip checked
Bites on pumps
Literally no offensive game other than dunks, has a hella ugly jump shot and free throw form

I could see the staff using Osi as a template since he also had a poor jumper, that he never developed, but did use that one handed push floater a lot, and was marginally effective. He needs to develop some other way of scoring than the lob dunk.

Reaction Score
And Edey is gone and there’s nobody I can think of immediately left in the college game like him.

Reaction Score

every pro samson post inevitably turns into this. I'll never understand.

Put some respect on his name.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom