Why not just replace Pitt and Syracuse? | The Boneyard

Why not just replace Pitt and Syracuse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Not with 2, but with 6. Baylor, TCU, Kansas State, Kansas, Iowa State and the kicker, Texas.

Texas wants a home for its Longhorn Network. I don't really care, as long as we get paid. We would take all 14 teams, including the hoops onlies, and join the Big 12 and their big contract. If ESPN and Fox didn't like it, they would be welcome to void the deal and let the league go out to the open market. It is likely that UConn would get more money in that league than in the ACC, which is still beholden to ESPN. I like this deal swapping out Texas for Boise too.

The more I think about the ACC, the less I like it competitively for both basketball and football. The league still sucks in football, and Pitt, Uconn and Syracuse would be 3 of the 5 best hoops programs. And the TV deal will still suck.

Zack said it best in another thread. The Big East had won. Losing two nothings like Pitt and Syracuse doesn't change that.

Reaction Score
If this is the final solution, I will be devastated.

You seem delusional.

Reaction Score
Not with 2, but with 6. Baylor, TCU, Kansas State, Kansas, Iowa State and the kicker, Texas.

Texas wants a home for its Longhorn Network. I don't really care, as long as we get paid. We would take all 14 teams, including the hoops onlies, and join the Big 12 and their big contract. If ESPN and Fox didn't like it, they would be welcome to void the deal and let the league go out to the open market. It is likely that UConn would get more money in that league than in the ACC, which is still beholden to ESPN. I like this deal swapping out Texas for Boise too.

The more I think about the ACC, the less I like it competitively for both basketball and football. The league still sucks in football, and Pitt, Uconn and Syracuse would be 3 of the 5 best hoops programs. And the TV deal will still suck.

Zack said it best in another thread. The Big East had won. Losing two nothings like Pitt and Syracuse doesn't change that.

Are you being serious here? I can't tell.

Reaction Score
He's got to be kidding. Part of the problem was the hybrid conference......it can't be part of a solution. If it was so great, the other conferences would have adopted the same "business model".

UConn would loose out big time.......it won't generate the revenue an all sports conference whereby all members puts a product on the tube 8 months of the year That is why your money makers (BCS schools) are looking to leave.

Reaction Score

Even better: let's invite Ohio State and Alabama.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He's got to be kidding. Part of the problem was the hybrid conference......it can't be part of a solution. If it was so great, the other conferences would have adopted the same "business model".

UConn would loose out big time.......it won't generate the revenue an all sports conference whereby all members puts a product on the tube 8 months of the year That is why your money makers (BCS schools) are looking to leave.

They don't adopt the same model because the Big East has all the valuable hoops only programs. The hybrid solution was not part of the problem. the problem was WVU, Pitt and Syracuse panicked and screwed everyone because the football schools did not trust each other.

Why wouldn't it generate revenue? 12 football schools and 20 hoops programs is a lot of inventory?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Why wouldn't it generate revenue? 12 football schools and 20 hoops programs is a lot of inventory?
Inventory is only good if you have buyers. I own a number of homes in Reno. I have tons of inventory. No one wants to buy them, therefore, i am .

Reaction Score

Totally correct. This hybrid model is built for longevity. Heck in this new model maybe Notre Dame could be a member for everything but football. . .that'd be really awesome.

Reaction Score

I'll assume Waylon is being serious (although I'm not sure) and answer. Why not? Because the Catholics have no interest. They are I'm sure ready to go on in life and never do this again. They are not engaging in any more Rube Goldbergian structures to stay aligned with the remaining football schools. The remaining Big East schools can join the Big XII, but I doubt the Big East will be the home for this.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I've posed this question more times than I can remember but I have yet to see an answer from Waylon.

If the catholic members (and the markets they bring) are so valuable, why is it that no other majort conference has considered cherry picking just some of the best (Georgetown with DC, Novca with Philly and St John's with NYC) and adding them to their conference?

Reaction Score
I agree, the Big East can survive if it aggresively expands ASAP. Everyone thought the conference was dead after the last raid, then it expanded and became the best hoops conference in the country.

Right now the conference and its members should have two goals:

1) remain the best hoops conference in the country through expansion
2) maintain your BCS status through expansion

For hoops this is accomplished by adding Kansas, Missouri, Kansas State, Iowa State. Kansas has a better hoops tradition than either Cuse or Pitt and Missouri, Iowa State and K State are capable of being top 25 in hoops any given year.

For football this is accomplished by convincing TCU to keep their commitment and adding Baylor.

This gives us the 12 -20 league that was being discussed before the defections. With this allignment the Big East is much stronger at football and possibly still the best hoops conference in the land (and the Big East tourny is still at MSG)

If any of these teams are raided simply add Central Florida and East Carolina to the mix.

We can then change the name of the conference to Federation United And Committed Conference or The FUACC
Bottom line: Expand to survive and do it quick.

Reaction Score
I've posed this question more times than I can remember but I have yet to see an answer from Waylon.

If the catholic members (and the markets they bring) are so valuable, why is it that no other majort conference has considered cherry picking just some of the best (Georgetown with DC, Novca with Philly and St John's with NYC) and adding them to their conference?

1. Because, other than the ACC, the geography makes it too much of a hassle.

2. Because the economic benefit is balanced by not wanting other than full members.

3. Because there was nothing in it for the Catholics so why try.

4. Because no other conference gives a damn about hoops.

Reaction Score
Clearly Waylon is a meth addict.

If you want an unstable conference, then get Texas to join. Add Notre Dame to the mix and negotiating peace in the middle east is simple in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom