Why not go Independent? | The Boneyard

Why not go Independent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If worse comes to worse and our only option is a glorified CUSA with KSU, ISU, etc. I would much rather stay in the Big East for all sports and just be a football independent. Much rather preserve rivalries with SJU, Villanova, Georgetown than go to a conference with KSU, ISU, USF, Cincy, etc.

I also feel by being an independent in football we would actually have more flexibility in joining one of the big 4 conferences in the future.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The funniest thing is we've been there before.

Reaction Score
I'm OK with it. Our ticket is basketball anyway. Thank you Jim Calhoun.

Reaction Score
At least we would be undefeated at home, because it would only be MAC/1AA schools that would come...

Reaction Score
Besides scheduling issues, we don't get nearly as much tv time nor would a 7-5 team be guaranteed a bowl game. I also think this hurts recruiting as players can go to schools that actually play in one of the big conferences. Much like low level BE bball teams can (could) say to recruits, come here and you'll get to play against the best and show how good you are.

Reaction Score
Big 8 merger horrible.......huge loss in revenue to football schools

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
UConn football isn't close to powerful enough to become an independent.

The ACC is a fallback option for us IMO: we offer the Big 10 more (in terms of being a strong overall athletic department, and giving them a market), AND they are the more attractive woman for us to hook up with. We need to ask her out.

Reaction Score
Logistically, this consolidation is going to force AD's and admins to seriously evaluate football as a benefit to the organization at some mid tier schools. Not saying UConn, but this isn't viable longer term.

Reaction Score
As long as you're ok with losing your stellar basketball coach because you can't afford to pay him that much dough, it's an option. The superconference teams will be pulling down $20 million a year from TV and BCS. That's a lot of cushion to compete against. It likely means that few non superconference teams will be destination schools.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
We might have company.....

Best line from the TAMU boards

>> In other news. Baylor has decided to sue Syracuse and Pitt and the ACC as they have diminished the value of the Big East and have forced the Bears to once again consider the SunBelt Conference<<

Reaction Score
Logistically, this consolidation is going to force AD's and admins to seriously evaluate football as a benefit to the organization at some mid tier schools. Not saying UConn, but this isn't viable longer term.
Very true. People will start asking what's this all about? I'm starting to wonder myself.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Anyone else wonder, briefly, if it was worth spending $125,000,000 on all this? I love football, but the thought passed through my mind. All the hard work of so many- including, yes, Randy Edsall- and now it's on the verge of being meaningless.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If we went indy we'd have four home football games each year. Yes, indepence is how PSU, Miami and FSU built their programs but each had a msjor advantage over us, they were all located in very fertile HS recuiting territory and able to get some big schools to come visit because of that.

Reaction Score
Anyone else wonder, briefly, if it was worth spending $125,000,000 on all this? I love football, but the thought passed through my mind. All the hard work of so many- including, yes, Randy Edsall- and now it's on the verge of being meaningless.

You have to relax zls, UConn will be fine.

Reaction Score

Meaningless only if UConn doesn't land in a BCS conference - which is a possibility. But I wouldn't close the coffin lid until we see what happens.

Reaction Score
LMFAO!

It's not gonna be easy making a schedule once they have 16 team divisions.....;)

Reaction Score
What are you drinking? Moonshine, or is it available in stores? I want some of that stuff. It may help forget the last 2 blown wins and forget UConn is in the Providence conference. Blek!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom