Why not Chillious? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why not Chillious?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Provided Jalen comes back, people are going to be surprised when this bunch of kids next year, under a new coach, actually wins games.

There's talent on this roster. Not enough to be Top 25, but more than enough to finish above .500 and get up near 20 wins just based on playing better defense and running a real offense.
PG: Jalen, Alterique, Brendan Adams
SG: Vital, Matthews
SF: Polley, Wilson
PF: Jermaine Harris, Williams, Whaley
C: Diarra, Cobb, Kisunas

If that's our roster next year (or something close to it), and Hurley is our coach, bet we end up as a fringe top 25 team and top 3 in the AAC.

Reaction Score

If that's our roster next year (or something close to it), and Hurley is our coach, bet we end up as a fringe top 25 team and top 3 in the AAC.
Right. Jalen-CV-Gilbert-Wilson-Harris is talented quintet to build around.

Reaction Score
Things I like about Chill....Seems like a great recruiter
Things I have questions about...Can he coach and lead a team at this level.
Things that have me concerned about Chill. His ties with Nike

Reaction Score
Its not like he cant recruit as an assistant, why not get a head coach like Hurley who is proven he knows what to do with those players?

Reaction Score
But that ACC schedule tho
And the blank canvas of a roster onto which you can paint whatever your P5-dreams are.

Nothing like showing up in March and having to fill 8 roster spots by June.

Reaction Score

Is Carlton definitely gone?

Reaction Score
We need recruiting. we need more recruiting more than ever. You can't get to where Chillious is without knowing basketball, I am sure he knows the x's & o's. Hire another proven recruiter to assist. I just do not believe Hurley is the answer. I would prefer Hobbs to Hurley. We need players!

Chillious has been the associate head coach at Washington and UConn for the last two seasons. Over his last 45 games the combined record is 14 wins and 31 losses.

What could possibly go wrong if he was named head coach?

Assuming he is not involved in any of the NCAA investigation matters, I would be thrilled to have Chillious stay on as the lead recruiter. But to even consider him as head coach is lunacy.

Reaction Score
Harris is definitely not a guarantee to come here with Hurley. If Hurley bails on URI, they very well could make his lead recruiter Cox head coach. That or go to Xavier who was also in his top group.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Base upon what, one game?
You’re right let’s hire the guy who has had two head coaches fired above him back to back years at two different schools. Making history. He’s up there with UMBC

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Who is Brendan Adams? Couldn't find anything on him.

URI’s ‘18 PG recruit - borderline 4-star with offers from Stanford, Florida, and UMD.

Reaction Score
I gave you a like because I've already posted That my choice is Hobbs w/ Burrell ...
Hobbs is a nice enough guy, but his short-lived GW head coaching success leaned heavily on a few too many recruits from almost non-existent schools (think UNC-like classes or less). A good run for a few years with GW before dubious recruits caught up with Karl, things went pear shaped, and he was sh|t canned in Foggy Bottom.

Particularly due to UConn's decline after KO's initial success with JC's recruits, another UConn alum head coach is unlikely now nor any time soon. Maybe 1 UConn alumnus will be considered as an assistant, but will it really be surprising if none of UConn's current or recent Connecticut alumni assistants are considered?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We just fired the last guy we hired who was a “lead recruiter” assistant with no head coaching experience.

Reaction Score
We need a guy who can coach. Ollie recruited about what I expected Being in the AAC. Till we get out of there we’re not getting consistent five stars guys. Ollie’s offense was terrible effort terrible. And defense fell off Big after the unbelievable national title run.

Don’t think one guy on the staff is a good X and O coach.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I gave you a like because I've already posted
That my choice is Hobbs w/ Burrell and retain Chillous. That choice is only if we can't get Donovan or Hurley . I do like Hurley with Tom Moore and retain Chillous.

That's probably our ideal scenario. Don't think it's possible, but it's idea.

Maybe URI offers Moore. And Chillious might not work out for a number of reasons.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Recruiting isn’t just about going after best available—which was Ollie’s strategy. It’s about recruiting to a plan or system. No team should be comprised almost entirely of dudes who are 6’7”-6’9” string beans with no discernible skill sets. There’s “positionless” because everyone can do everything then there’s positionless because no one can do anything

Reaction Score
Recruiting isn’t the issue...
Recruiting may not be the “total issue” but it’s certainly a significant part of the issue. If you don’t have the basic talent to compete...coaching isn’t going to solve all of your shortcomings. In the past, we attracted the right talent and had the great coaching that made them better!

Reaction Score
Hobbs is a nice enough guy, but his short-lived GW head coaching success leaned heavily on a few too many recruits from almost non-existent schools (think UNC-like classes or less). A good run for a few years with GW before dubious recruits caught up with Karl, things went pear shaped, and he was sh|t canned in Foggy Bottom.

Particularly due to UConn's decline after KO's initial success with JC's recruits, another UConn alum head coach is unlikely now nor any time soon. Maybe 1 UConn alumnus will be considered as an assistant, but will it really be surprising if none of UConn's current or recent Connecticut alumni assistants are considered?

To be clear, Hobbs had a good deal of success at GW (realizing that GW has many disadvantages compared to many in the A-Ten as a program), until the Administration told him that his recruiting, even if within the rules, was embarassing the school. With one hand tied behind his back on recruiting, his program went downhill. He is not a particularly good game coach, but he wasn't bad at getting kids to play hard and understand their roles when he could take the kids he wanted.

Reaction Score
To be clear, Hobbs had a good deal of success at GW (realizing that GW has many disadvantages compared to many in the A-Ten as a program), until the Administration told him that his recruiting, even if within the rules, was embarassing the school. With one hand tied behind his back on recruiting, his program went downhill.
Agreed, pretty successful for a few initial seasons. On the other hand, Karl recruited his own guys leading to reasonable university push back. For whatever reasons, GW actually attempts to act sort of more like a traditional university than some schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom