Why must they ruin everything | The Boneyard

Why must they ruin everything

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
The Rutgers dig at the end made up for it.

Between the change to TBS and this, i now hope the brackets get leaked annually. Stupidity.

Reaction Score
Sooooo dumb. One of the only things they do right is the selection show and now they are ruining that too...

Reaction Score
The whole concept of selection shows is stupid. The networks try to one up each other, and the whole bracket is leaked instantly online.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
College Sports was so idiot proof and they somehow managed to screw up decades old rivalries and ruin any meaning behind conference tournaments, and they are trying their hardest to give people a reason to dislike March Madness.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
College Sports was so idiot proof and they somehow managed to screw up decades old rivalries and ruin any meaning behind conference tournaments, and they are trying their hardest to give people a reason to dislike March Madness.
Last year, I watched a grand total of less than a complete game of March Madness until the Final 4. Every amazing ending was available on YouTube or some other replay, so I didn't feel left out. I watched about 2/3 of the Final Four and enjoyed it enough.

Maybe I'll fill out a bracket this year for the first time in 20+ years, ever since it became all about binary, UConn/Big East partisanship. And now it's just, "I wanna see some good basketball" vs. "I hate that coach, not them."

And yet, if the Sweet 16 games go the right way, I'll happily drive 90 miles on Saturday to see a DIII Women's game for a berth in the Final Four. One team will have my friends' daughter, and the other will be my alma mater. We'll probably get a good meal in a nice college town, and tickets, gas, and food will add up to a relatively cheap & fun late winter day trip.

During the selection show, I'll be eating soup with my neighbors. Last Sunday I ended up making my reliable vegetable chili. It got lots of compliments, and I liked it so much that I made another batch yesterday, though with Jamaican Jerk seasoning mix substituting for chili powder.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
@Hans Sprungfeld

Same here, I don't watch any college football besides UConn and I haven't watched any college basketball this year besides UConn.

Used to have my tv on ESPN/SNY religiously for Big East hoops and Big East football.

I think a lot of UConn fans are obviously UConn first and foremost, but a lot of the identity came with being in the Big East. Which, is something that's never coming back.

Reaction Score
Agree....ruining the core of my being by changing history.

Loved following the bracket format not knowing who is IN or OUT.

BS!

Reaction Score
Announce the teams alphabetically!?!?
As hard as it is to believe someone came up with this idea, its harder to believe some upper level decision maker signed off on it.
Unbelievable.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The whole concept of selection shows is stupid. The networks try to one up each other, and the whole bracket is leaked instantly online.

What a weird take.

The selection show ‘concept’ was and is awesome and the brackets have leaked once.

This new idea, however, is incredibly dumb.

During the selection show, I'll be eating soup with my neighbors.

Do you typically eat soup for the selection show or is this just a randomly-planned souping that happens to take place during the selection show?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nielson ratings say that people turn off tube after bracket is released. Change is designed to keep people watching longer. AKA Money !!

So they went to a format that nobody will watch. Solid.

The old show sucked too. The bukkake party over the 1 seeds was 20 minutes of stupidity. Dragging it out for an hour was tired.

Now they’ll get beat on Twitter and it can be 100% ignored. I already know who is in the stupid thing - what matters is where and matchups.

Reaction Score
What a weird take.

The selection show ‘concept’ was and is awesome and the brackets have leaked once.

This new idea, however, is incredibly dumb.

Do you typically eat soup for the selection show or is this just a randomly-planned souping that happens to take place during the selection show?
I guess they just don’t move the needle for me. But the past few years, the entire bracket has been posted to reddit before the shows are even done talking about the first region.

Reaction Score
College athletics have been destroyed by the very medium that promotes them.

Reaction Score
I had to scroll through a slideshow below the article on the same page..."33 Best Teams that didn't win the championship'. I've always relished being the underdog - part of what made our teams so fun to root for / not being the favorite. Go figure that all 4 of our championships make the top 25...the highest being Duke (#4 on list) in '99...and the only 'best' that we actually played in the tourney. The rest are at #16 - Wichita in 2014, #23 - St Joe's in 2004 - and #25 Ohio State in 2011. Loved seeing our name under Champion on 4 of the top 25 slides!!

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Actually, it's a neither/both thing.

From the 2nd Sunday of the new year through roughly mid-April, our walkable neighborhood has a group that gathers from 6-8 for a soup-centric potluck dinner in a different house each week. The host family, and a couple others make 3 soups (one vegetarian) and mac 'n cheese for the kids. Guests bring wine, beverages, desserts, snacks, and their own mug & spoon.

The group is largely indifferent to things like NFL playoffs, Super Bowl, pre-Oscars, or any other event TV, though some slip out early to be back home for 8pm starting times, and there have been a few times when a special rooting is interest got a bit of a TV crowd in an off room. I gotta assume that an analphabetized Selection Show won't generate much buzz.

As to the show, I'm hoping they've thought to put all the "University of..." schools under U, especially if Note Dame is on the bubble. Additionally, it'll be very exciting if The Ohio State University gets filed under "T."

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Actually, it's a neither/both thing.

From the 2nd Sunday of the new year through roughly mid-April, our walkable neighborhood has a group that gathers from 6-8 for a soup-centric potluck dinner in a different house each week. The host family, and a couple others make 3 soups (one vegetarian) and mac 'n cheese for the kids. Guests bring wine, beverages, desserts, snacks, and their own mug & spoon.

The group is largely indifferent to things like NFL playoffs, Super Bowl, pre-Oscars, or any other event TV, though some slip out early to be back home for 8pm starting times, and there have been a few times when a special rooting is interest got a bit of a TV crowd in an off room. I gotta assume that an analphabetized Selection Show won't generate much buzz.

As to the show, I'm hoping they've thought to put all the "University of..." schools under U, especially if Note Dame is on the bubble. Additionally, it'll be very exciting if The Ohio State University gets filed under "T."

I was wondering if BC goes under:

University, College of Boston

BTW we need a BY soup group. Shizzle can get a big ol Nissan from the County Line and take us from house to house where we savor all the finest soups (and bourbons).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom