Why key for UConn men’s basketball team is Andre Jackson and Jordan Hawkins reaching their potential (Hearst) | The Boneyard

Why key for UConn men’s basketball team is Andre Jackson and Jordan Hawkins reaching their potential (Hearst)

Reaction Score
Re Newton:

“I just love interchangeable guards,” Hurley said. “He can score at all three levels. He’s a great free throw shooter. I think a lot like Tyrese (Martin) did for us, a guy shooting in the low 30’s from 3 doesn’t tell the story in terms of quality for what he can do from the 3-point line. Tyrese came in as a low-30’s 3-point shooter and left as a low-40’s. I think he’s going to shoot better here than he did at East Carolina because of the inside players we have. He’ll get better 3’s.”

I'm so excited for next season. A lot of the older guys hit their ceilings last year. This team will have way more potential and all around better talent. It may take a little bit for them to fully hit their stride, but we'll be very good later in the season

Reaction Score
Re Newton:

“I just love interchangeable guards,” Hurley said. “He can score at all three levels. He’s a great free throw shooter. I think a lot like Tyrese (Martin) did for us, a guy shooting in the low 30’s from 3 doesn’t tell the story in terms of quality for what he can do from the 3-point line. Tyrese came in as a low-30’s 3-point shooter and left as a low-40’s. I think he’s going to shoot better here than he did at East Carolina because of the inside players we have. He’ll get better 3’s.”

I'm so excited for next season. A lot of the older guys hit their ceilings last year. This team will have way more potential and all around better talent. It may take a little bit for them to fully hit their stride, but we'll be very good later in the season
Good core. We desperately need to fill out the roster.

Reaction Score
Oh I am patient. But the immediate impact guys are getting snapped up quick, so the clock is ticking
They really aren't though. Out of the 10 "best" transfers right from the start, like 2 of them have committed so far, and one of those was Newton. Do you want Hurley to go out there and get a guy like Locke - who is a severely limited player - just so we would have bodies? No. Roster construction is an art form, it takes time. Panicking leads to desperation which leads to getting flawed players who don't fit

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
As long as DH allows Hawkins to play to his strengths he will be a great player
AJ, the jury is still out on where best to utilize him
UConn needs both to be at the top of their game this upcoming season.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
So excited to see these two take the lead. Our playmaking and ball movement should be so much better with this group.

Reaction Score
They really aren't though. Out of the 10 "best" transfers right from the start, like 2 of them have committed so far, and one of those was Newton. Do you want Hurley to go out there and get a guy like Locke - who is a severely limited player - just so we would have bodies? No. Roster construction is an art form, it takes time. Panicking leads to desperation which leads to getting flawed players who don't fit
Well AFAIK we’re not linked to any of the top guys left, at least that i’ve seen. I’m not worried, I trust Hurley’s eye for talent and the staff’s recruiting. We got a top, top transfer in Newton, but the consensus was that we need at least two top backcourt transfers, and you have to be in on those guys early.

Reaction Score
Well AFAIK we’re not linked to any of the top guys left, at least that i’ve seen. I’m not worried, I trust Hurley’s eye for talent and the staff’s recruiting. We got a top, top transfer in Newton, but the consensus was that we need at least two top backcourt transfers, and you have to be in on those guys early.
We're still very much connected to Courtney Ramey and Nahiem Alleyne

Reaction Score
And there are also quite a few guys outside the "Top 10" that would be great additions too. It's still very early

Reaction Score
Are those top guys? Genuinely asking. I haven’t looked at transfer rankings, nor really seen either play besides Ramey a bit. Alleyne’s numbers don’t look super convincing

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Are those top guys? Genuinely asking. I haven’t looked at transfer rankings, nor really seen either play besides Ramey a bit. Alleyne’s numbers don’t look super convincing
I'm not sure where the cutoff for top guys is. They're not top 10 players and not as good as Newton, but if you told me either one was our starting 2 guard next year I'd be happy. If Newton is a top 25-30 transfer I'd say both are somewhere in the next group of 25

Reaction Score
They're not the super sexy name like Terrence Shannon or Antonio Reeves, but yes they are

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom