• Receivers

Votes: 47 20.8%
  • Offensive Line

Votes: 16 7.1%
  • All of the above

Votes: 112 49.6%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
The problem is QB. Has been for a decade.

Amazingly, even when we had a QB with NFL ability (Boyle) we were still unable to get production from the QB.
He wasn't good at Eastern Kentucky either. Thats after sitting a year to learn the O. He is 6-4 235 with a good arm. We saw that in warm- ups. Pal are you still making the games?

Reaction Score
This quote...yeah sure Nick....When have you ever tried to stress out an opponents defense with aggressiveness...and passing LOL !
Reminds me of Diaco's 1st presser (" We're gonna throw it down the field, ALOT !" ) or Edsall 2.0 (" Everyone plays 7 on 7's now ", you have to play fast/ aggressive) .... what a bunch of frauds, SMH!

I also remember PP talking about an offense with "chunk plays". Been many with big promises. FIU and Duke looked to run a faster tempo offense. We have no ability to do this. That is either Charlton being unable to make decisions quickly, our staff not able to teach this or our players not able to execute at a faster pace. We do spend a lot of time with motion which usually is to no effect.

Reaction Score
He wasn't good at Eastern Kentucky either. Thats after sitting a year to learn the O. He is 6-4 235 with a good arm. We saw that in warm- ups. Pal are you still making the games?
I made the NC State game. I give the tickets to my brother and he doles them out to various siblings and nieces, etc. JMU is pretty easy ride for me. I do what I can.

Reaction Score
Mora made a comment today. He said that they worked hard to find WR’s “but we’re not P5.” So the real problem has reared it’s ugly head. Can’t get kids to Storrs. Despite Mora.

Agree with another post. We lost much more than we gained in Transfer Portal.
That’s the real problem. All this talk about the coaches, the OC, the play calling? It’s just mindless grumbling. If we had the players, the plays would work. And we’re not P5. It’s an uphill battle from here on out, not necessarily one we are going to win.

Reaction Score
That’s the real problem. All this talk about the coaches, the OC, the play calling? It’s just mindless grumbling. If we had the players, the plays would work. And we’re not P5. It’s an uphill battle from here on out, not necessarily one we are going to win.
This is all BS......Power 5 ? Can't get the players ? A lame excuse for any fan that wants to drink the kool-aid. Almost half the G-5's in the country ran top 60 offenses in 2022 (read em' and weep), while Uconn was #124..... I guess those G-5's can't get the players on offense either, SMH ! BTW so far in 2023 Uconn is #132, but yeah it's the players fault. Not Charlton/ Mora's conservative schemes that run decent skill guys away ( what's up Nate Carter ! ) from Storrs. ( or keep them away to begin with).

124 Connecticut

7 Western Kentucky
12 UTSA
14 SMU
16 UCF
18 Georgia Southern
21 North Texas
23 East Carolina
25 Houston
26 Appalachian State
29 James Madison
31 Tulane
33 UAB
36 Brigham Young
37 South Alabama
39 Memphis
40 Ohio
42 Kent State
43 Georgia State
46 Tulsa
47 Florida Atlantic
51 Coastal Carolina
52 Oklahoma State
53 Fresno State
54 Toledo
58 Marshall
59 Air Force

Reaction Score
This is all BS......Power 5 ? Can't get the players ? A lame excuse for any fan that wants to drink the kool-aid. Almost half the G-5's in the country ran top 60 offenses in 2022 (read em' and weep), while Uconn was #124..... I guess those G-5's can't get the players on offense either, SMH ! BTW so far in 2023 Uconn is #132, but yeah it's the players fault. Not Charlton/ Mora's conservative schemes that run decent skill guys away ( what's up Nate Carter ! ) from Storrs. ( or keep them away to begin with).

124 Connecticut

7 Western Kentucky
12 UTSA
14 SMU
16 UCF
18 Georgia Southern
21 North Texas
23 East Carolina
25 Houston
26 Appalachian State
29 James Madison
31 Tulane
33 UAB
36 Brigham Young
37 South Alabama
39 Memphis
40 Ohio
42 Kent State
43 Georgia State
46 Tulsa
47 Florida Atlantic
51 Coastal Carolina
52 Oklahoma State
53 Fresno State
54 Toledo
58 Marshall
59 Air Force
This. Why anyone would bury their head in the sand at this point is beyond me. Yes, we are a G5, but we have a national brand name due to basketball, great facilities, a name coach and a very appealing schedule. We should be at the top end of the G5. Acting like we shouldn't is cowardly and pathetic. We have an awful lot going for us, yet we can't put together a slightly above average football team? It shouldn't be expected and accepted. It is insane.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

124 Connecticut

7 Western Kentucky
12 UTSA
14 SMU
16 UCF
18 Georgia Southern
21 North Texas
23 East Carolina
25 Houston
26 Appalachian State
29 James Madison
31 Tulane
33 UAB
36 Brigham Young
37 South Alabama
39 Memphis
40 Ohio
42 Kent State
43 Georgia State
46 Tulsa
47 Florida Atlantic
51 Coastal Carolina
52 Oklahoma State
53 Fresno State
54 Toledo
58 Marshall
59 Air Force

I will not complain about anything this staff did last season. Taking everything into consideration, what was inherited, what we lost due to injuries (primarily on offense) and the schedule we had, ending up with as many wins as we did was truly a remarkable achievement by the staff. I don't care that the offensive numbers weren't very impressive.

This season however is puzzling, very frustrating and quite disheartening. Even taking into consideration the likelyhood that the last three opponents we've faced are much better than what was anticipated before the season began, we should have had far better efforts in the first half of each of those games (may have changed the outcomes against Ga St & FIU).

There is quite a bit that I want to post but a) won't post anything lengthy from a cell phone and b) may think better of posting it after having time to think about it. It is never a good idea to be overly critical without rethinking it a few times.

The only consolation that I can offer at the moment is that there have been cases in college football where perennial doormats have become formidable programs. Miami (the U) nearly dropped football a half dozen years before their first dynasty won its first national title. Kansas St, at the time they achieved their first ever top five ranking had fewer winning seasons than they had winless seasons.

Can we somewhat replicate what those schools did? I don't know and I think the odds are against us. I do know that we (as a fan base) have suffered a lot and sadly, turning something like this around will likely require further suffering.

Reaction Score

124 Connecticut

7 Western Kentucky
12 UTSA
14 SMU
16 UCF
18 Georgia Southern
21 North Texas
23 East Carolina
25 Houston
26 Appalachian State
29 James Madison
31 Tulane
33 UAB
36 Brigham Young
37 South Alabama
39 Memphis
40 Ohio
42 Kent State
43 Georgia State
46 Tulsa
47 Florida Atlantic
51 Coastal Carolina
52 Oklahoma State
53 Fresno State
54 Toledo
58 Marshall
59 Air Force
OK. These schools you list here are in FOOTBALL COUNTRY. And on top of that, most of them [not all] have questionable academics. [I get it, Air Force is a great school, but after all, it’s Air Force]. In football country, there’s a lot of excess football players, many of them very good. And they don’t all get into Ohio State, Texas, or UGA. So, they go to the local G5 if they can’t get into a P5 somewhere. When we were in the Big East, and the Big East was a BCS conference, some of those local TX and FL and GA kids would come here to play in a BCS conference. That was UConn’s “structural” advantage over your list of G5s. That structural advantage has now disappeared. Now the local Georgia kid that didn’t get picked up by UGA is going to Georgia State so mom can watch the games. Same with the Ohio kids, the Texas kids, and the FL kids. You give me one good reason why that kid comes to Connecticut to play football. The kid can play at Memphis but he’s going to leave home and come to Connecticut because we have a class act basketball program? And he has to have the grades to get accepted? Sorry for the lame excuses, but they’re going to exist for a long time, and you can batch about it all you want.

Reaction Score
OK. These schools you list here are in FOOTBALL COUNTRY. And on top of that, most of them [not all] have questionable academics. [I get it, Air Force is a great school, but after all, it’s Air Force]. In football country, there’s a lot of excess football players, many of them very good. And they don’t all get into Ohio State, Texas, or UGA. So, they go to the local G5 if they can’t get into a P5 somewhere. When we were in the Big East, and the Big East was a BCS conference, some of those local TX and FL and GA kids would come here to play in a BCS conference. That was UConn’s “structural” advantage over your list of G5s. That structural advantage has now disappeared. Now the local Georgia kid that didn’t get picked up by UGA is going to Georgia State so mom can watch the games. Same with the Ohio kids, the Texas kids, and the FL kids. You give me one good reason why that kid comes to Connecticut to play football. The kid can play at Memphis but he’s going to leave home and come to Connecticut because we have a class act basketball program? And he has to have the grades to get accepted? Sorry for the lame excuses, but they’re going to exist for a long time, and you can batch about it all you want.
I am sure the MAC is not interested i UConn Football but things change. I think the MAC would be a good conference for UConn Football at least in the short term as it bolsters its football program. The MAC is a conference UConn could compete in from the get-go, regional, with similar universities, all public in the 16k-33k enrollment range. Kids that don't get into a B1G program could see UConn as an option because they'd still get some games close to home while experiencing the Northeast, NYC, Boston. Otherwise, being an independent in the northeast has so many obstacles.

I found this video about the MAC and the G5 in general interesting.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I am sure the MAC is not interested i UConn Football but things change. I think the MAC would be a good conference for UConn Football at least in the short term as it bolsters its football program. The MAC is a conference UConn could compete in from the get-go, regional, with similar universities, all public in the 16k-33k enrollment range. Kids that don't get into a B1G program could see UConn as an option because they'd still get some games close to home while experiencing the Northeast, NYC, Boston. Otherwise, being an independent in the northeast has so many obstacles.

I found this video about the MAC and the G5 in general interesting.

I am absolutely certain that the MAC would be very happy to give us the same offer they extended to Buffalo and UMass. The thing is, if we were to join in football, we would be required to join in all other sports the MAC sponsors that we field NCAA programs.

I don't see that happening.

Reaction Score
Mora changed his tune pretty quickly. Blaming player talent now? Losing respect for the guy by the day. Promised no repeats and changes after GSU and yet no changes and repeating horrific performances. Not buying it. Take responsibility means doing something other status wuo.

Reaction Score
Mora changed his tune pretty quickly. Blaming player talent now? Losing respect for the guy by the day. Promised no repeats and changes after GSU and yet no changes and repeating horrific performances. Not buying it. Take responsibility means doing something other status quo.
True, and the fact that Charlton's offense lost his top 5 skill players in less than a year, (3 RB's, one a AA kick returner and his top 2 WR's) who came to Uconn from places like GA, AL , MD and FLA. Which says alot less about what recruits will come to Storrs and a ton more about players not wanting to play in Nick and Mora's pedestrian offense. Those 2 need to look in the mirror on why they left and at the scheme that their top skill guys don't want to play in.....instead of talking about talent level. But at least Nick made sure to have 7-8 TE's for his depth chart and blocking, not that they'll throw a pass to any of em' anyway, SMH!

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
...But at least Nick made sure to have 7-8 TE's for his depth chart and blocking, not that they'll throw a pass to any of em' anyway, SMH!
Excellent call-out! I wondered at that as well, why so many TEs for such an abysmal passing offense??? Put some in a fullback role to help the run game maybe? Better yet, can any of them throw the ball?

Reaction Score
Excellent call-out! I wondered at that as well, why so many TEs for such an abysmal passing offense??? Put some in a fullback role to help the run game maybe? Better yet, can any of them throw the ball?
They have had a TE in the backfield this year.

Reaction Score
A couple things:

1. If this is the thinking, then we shouldn't bother having a program at all.

2. No place is Football Country until it is. Boise, Seattle, Salt Lake, and plenty more weren't until they hired great coaches, and built themselves into places where kids wanted to watch, and then play HS football. They still aren't traditional FB rich areas, but are desirable to kids from all over.

More than any other sport, coaches matter in football. Right now we need to do more with scheme, and effort, because we will be less talented. It is what it is for now. A couple good years, and that talent gap becomes smaller, and then talent can be more of a differentiator.

Reaction Score

America is football country. It is far and away the favorite sport of Americans.

Reaction Score
Why would a decent player come to UConn? Probably because they're comfortable sitting the bench at a P5 school waiting "their turn" to play and don't worry about the fact that each class behind them has blue chip recruits. Of course not. It's unrealistic expectations. Whereas, they could be a star at a lesser program and maybe beat some of the elite teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom