Why is Texas flirting with the ACC? | The Boneyard

Why is Texas flirting with the ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
(supposedly)

Seems like their best option is to stay in the Big XII. Or to be the last one out. Even if several teams leave, the conference could reconstitute with some Mtn West/C-USA teams (Air Force, Boise, ...), and Texas' BCS path gets easier.

Their flirting could only serve to push others to act, when I'd think the Longhorns want everything to stay as is.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
To gain leverage in a future negotiation?

Reaction Score
UConn has a better shot at joining the PAC 12/14/16 then Texas does joining the ACC. IMHO

Reaction Score
Because the ACC would allow them to hold onto the Longhorn Network. The B-10 and PAC will never sit back and watch the ACC grab Texas.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
It's like flirting with the ugly chick who has a good looking friend.

Listening to her problems makes you appear understanding.

I fiigure the ACC is a 2 six-pack, 3 bag, closing-time deal if they close their eyes and can sneak out without being seen.

Reaction Score
Youd have to give me at least those three bags, probably an oxygen tank, full hazmat suit, a fifth of whiskey, and a mild horse traquilizer to get me to sit in a room with that slimy sob Swofford and that whole group of league presidents.

Reaction Score
It's like flirting with the ugly chick who has a good looking friend.

Listening to her problems makes you appear understanding.

I fiigure the ACC is a 2 six-pack, 3 bag, closing-time deal if they close their eyes and can sneak out without being seen.

Standing Ovation.

Reaction Score
Be careful, even money says the ACC gets picked off by SEC next and they come looking north for more teams.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Be careful, even money says the ACC gets picked off by SEC next and they come looking north for more teams.

Good. And we tell them to go themselves. We don't want to end up like BCU.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Saturday Football is a ratings king.It's very simple. What's happening with TV is much like the pro games. There are a handful of teams that can draw 5.0 or better and win a time slot on National TV when the NFL is idle.

The ACC and Big East aren't in those contests. The top 4 in the SEC, PAC-12, BiG and Big-12 are the teams they matchup head-to-head FSU could hang there. Not many else from the ACC and BE.

Reaction Score
imho....

Texas wants 1. Money, specifically from it's LHN which is not to be shared. 2. Access to BCS, the easier the better.

If they can get both from the ACC, why would they not consider it? Their recruiting territory remains the same no matter which conference they belong to. They can still schedule TAM, Oklahoma, etc. via ooc. I doubt they are looking for content for LHN their other conference members.

Reaction Score
Best thing that could happen to the University of Connecticut would be to become a member of the ACC. The Big 10 ain't ever gonna happen and IMO the Big East is prime for a fall. Football, not basketball is driving the college sports bus. This whole business of the Big East with maybe some Plains states makes little sense. It's more of a survival thing. The ACC makes the most sense geographically, comparable university wise, football/basketball/soccer/baseball wise. It will ensure UConn's future at the BCS level.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Best thing that could happen to the University of Connecticut would be to become a member of the ACC.

Totally disagree. Joining the ACC would kill UConn sports. We need to stay with other northeast teams.

Reaction Score
Totally disagree. Joining the ACC would kill UConn sports. We need to stay with other northeast teams.

NEC, NEC, NEC. When West Virginia jumps and Pitt starts looking around and even Broadcast U, that will leave UConn poised with such Northeastern powers as Temple, Villanova, UMass, New Hampshire, etc.

Big time. Big conference. And the ACC and UConn are mutually strengthened in hoops.

Reaction Score
Aside from SU, rutgers and arguably pitt, please let us know the names of these northeast schools?

Reaction Score
[quote="Big time. Big conference. And the ACC and UConn are mutually strengthened in hoops.[/quote]
Big east sent 11 teams to the tournament last year how does joining the acc strengthen uconn in hoops?

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Is there a BigEast ACC matchup that would outdraw a matchup of the top 4 teams from the BiG, the Bevo-12, PAC, and SEC?

That's the problem. By outdraw I mean on the East Cost. WVU and FSU might draw a 5.0 but I doubt it. Nothing else can carry the counry or even the East Coast head-to-head. People on the East Coast will watch Ohio State /Texas over Pitt/NC State or V Tech/UConn. The Big 3 (now the Big 4) will have enough inventory of conference matchups and incestuous OOC made-for-TV matchups amongst themselves to dominate two nights of national TV.

Reaction Score
The success of the LHN is totally dependant on the cable systems that pick it up (distribution), if they don't get that distibution they they'll have a hard time selling advertisers to pay money for a very small but loyal audience. I'm not that familiar with the LHN, but that distribution makes a big difference, does anyone know if they've gotten a ton of systems to sign on and is it a basic or tiered offering?

ACC let's UT keep the LHN, PAC 10/12 whatever has said that the LHN is a non-starter.

Reaction Score
So then the marque TV matchup would be UConn vs. Syracuse? Villanova? Pitt vs Syracuse? Rutgers vs Temple?

Never said ACC was the absolute best. But SEC isn't likely to offer. Same for Big Ten. So ACC still seems like best way to go.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The best way to go would be for the Big East to add MD and BCU to the status quo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom