Why is somebody not thinking this? | The Boneyard

Why is somebody not thinking this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hello boneyarders
Old poster from the old board, lurked ever since and this issue has drawn me back...
Is this the solution?
Uconn network
Howard Baldwin had this as a centerpeice of his nhl idea because it makes money. Regional sports networks get between 2 dollars and 4.25 right now for carraige fees, with yankees/yes the high end. ( Big 10 is not local specific).
SNY gets over 3 dollars per head per month. You saw how quick CT cable systems added SNY when the uconn deal was announced, it was a matter of days, not weeks or months. No fight whatsover. There are I believe 1.2 cable homes in CT. At a less price of 2.50, to be conservative, thats 3 million dollars a month, 36 million a year. Now since these networks partner with an existing network like fox, or in our local case ESPN 50-50 to absorb the costs, that would leave a cool 18 million per, in other words ACC money. I even think you could get on half of the rest of the cable systems in new england at 25 cents per, which would get you an extra 3/3mill split for the year.
Now your talking over 20 mill. We could play the catholic BB. All we have to do is be creative figuring out our independence in football. Is it worth it? 20 mill keeps us at the big boy table. Am I wrong here?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Hello boneyarders
Old poster from the old board, lurked ever since and this issue has drawn me back...
Is this the solution?
Uconn network
Howard Baldwin had this as a centerpeice of his nhl idea because it makes money. Regional sports networks get between 2 dollars and 4.25 right now for carraige fees, with yankees/yes the high end. ( Big 10 is not local specific).
SNY gets over 3 dollars per head per month. You saw how quick CT cable systems added SNY when the uconn deal was announced, it was a matter of days, not weeks or months. No fight whatsover. There are I believe 1.2 cable homes in CT. At a less price of 2.50, to be conservative, thats 3 million dollars a month, 36 million a year. Now since these networks partner with an existing network like fox, or in our local case ESPN 50-50 to absorb the costs, that would leave a cool 18 million per, in other words ACC money. I even think you could get on half of the rest of the cable systems in new england at 25 cents per, which would get you an extra 3/3mill split for the year.
Now your talking over 20 mill. We could play the catholic BB. All we have to do is be creative figuring out our independence in football. Is it worth it? 20 mill keeps us at the big boy table. Am I wrong here?
The media idea is interesting but the conference idea is a problem. UConn may never get a bid from the ACC or B!G (I believe they do) but the Catholic schools will always be afraid UConn will so they won't accept UConn to avoid the risk.

So UConn has to move forward realizing the Catholic schools are not an option. And that means they will have to find the best options out there that exist outside of the Catholic schools and the five conferences that have been involved in CR. So media discussion will have to wait until whatever group UConn chooses to ally itself with is formulated and what this group would prefer regarding media rights.

Reaction Score
I dont believe any conference would except our network unless we were a giant like Texas who could go anywhere they want. EXCEPT for the catholics. And their media deal would be so small we could probably just kick them a couple of million and they would be pleased as punch. That way at least our hoops are still in a respected BB league, local, and our recruiting wouldnt suffer

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I dont believe any conference would except our network unless we were a giant like Texas who could go anywhere they want. EXCEPT for the catholics. And their media deal would be so small we could probably just kick them a couple of million and they would be pleased as punch. That way at least our hoops are still in a respected BB league, local, and our recruiting wouldnt suffer
The football program isn't strong enough to make a go as an independent as far as I can determine. And if it can't I'm not sure how that would impact the media contract you formulate. I'm sure you'll get some better insight from others on this matter.

Reaction Score
The hurdle would be the conference. Indy can work for football, but then where do olymoic spirts go?

SNY would be the logical network to produce/distribute the games.

However, the more realistic outcome is that the Big Ten recognizes the attributes you point out, including lack of SNY carriage fight.

It does point out how screwed up the system. How many other schools could entertain even the thought of such a network?

Reaction Score
The football program isn't strong enough to make a go as an independent as far as I can determine. And if it can't I'm not sure how that would impact the media contract you formulate. I'm sure you'll get some better insight from others on this matter.

Connecticut customers would get the network no matter how strong the football program is, it is the Uconn network. We are not talking about other areas, the number is based on CT. customers. Mainly based on our hoops, like we always have been.
As for the independence, thats where I say we would have to be creative.

Reaction Score
The hurdle would be the conference. Indy can work for football, but then where do olymoic spirts go?

SNY would be the logical network to produce/distribute the games.

However, the more realistic outcome is that the Big Ten recognizes the attributes you point out, including lack of SNY carriage fight.

It does point out how screwed up the system. How many other schools could entertain even the thought of such a network?

Olympic sports= catholic league as I ve been saying
You have a good point on the Big Ten. They see they might have trouble already in NJ/MD. If Im our leadership, and at this point I dont think we have any, I would be selling ourselves now with how quick we got SNY at 3+ dollars per head

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Networks don't have to be cable/satellite these days either. A UConn app for the Apple TV/iPhone (a la MLB.tv) with access to all sports... well UConn could name their price and I'd pay it. Happily. Netflix, Amazon all trying to get in to the original content game... make content available, charge reasonably... lots of possibilities. Would I flip a buck or two to watch soccer or hockey now and then? If it's produced well - sure. Hoops and football? I'd pay a lot more. A la carte, subscription... a lot of options. Making it all slick production wise would be the challenge. And, well, rights to broadcast. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom