Why is Lyle McCombs returning kicks? | The Boneyard

Why is Lyle McCombs returning kicks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He doesn't seem able to get back to the 20 yard line. Heck, if he just takes a knee in the end zone we get the ball on the 25-yard line. He is a net loss as kick returner.

It's a small thing. But why not put someone back there who can bring it out to neutral, the 25?

Reaction Score
He doesn't seem able to get back to the 20 yard line. Heck, if he just takes a knee in the end zone we get the ball on the 25-yard line. He is a net loss as kick returner.

It's a small thing. But why not put someone back there who can bring it out to neutral, the 25?

I was saying the same thing, but it's because Phillips, Lamelle and Mack are injured. McCombs to me looked as if he's jogging returning the kick.

Reaction Score
How bout John Green. All we heard was about his explosive speed. Gave him a trial run at WR and he's not ready, why not try to unleash that speed on kick returns. Is Ellis Marder injured? We heard about his great speed as well.

Reaction Score

We have no speed to take the ball on kickoffs.They all look like they have ankle weights around them.Absolutely no break out speed coming out of the end zone.Slow motion out there.Lyle is not the answer,and we have no answer.

Reaction Score
I love Lyle but agree he's been tentative looking for his path rather than running hard from the start. Hard to believe we don't have a better option.

Reaction Score
I think there are better options. This staff is just married to McCombs. I think they just trust he won't turn the ball over, which say what you want about McCombs, he is sure handed. Still Greene, Foxx, some DBs there have to be better options on this team.

Reaction Score
They love them some Mccombs wayyyyy to much.....He needs to get about 10 touches per game at most.......and not return kicks......On KO's he jogs as if he is setting up to explode but then never does as he gets slammed at the 15 yard line.....In the backfield he jump cuts instead of sticking his foot in the ground when changing direction and exploding forward. Case in point he never falls forward. That can be the difference between a 1 yard gain and a 4 sometimes. In contrast, Delorenzo always falls forward and runs down hill. Can't believe we haven't made him or number 1 with a change of pace with the jump-cutter. So sick of watching him dance and then fall backwards. Perfect example was that 8 yard loss he took when he tried to reverse fields and then just ducked down. He shouldn't have reversed and even then at the end instead of just ducking into a ball he should have dove forward to save another 2 yards.........He hasn't made any progress since his RFR. year.....Matter a fact he has digressed.

Reaction Score
They love them some Mccombs wayyyyy to much.....He needs to get about 10 touches per game at most.......and not return kicks......On KO's he jogs as if he is setting up to explode but then never does as he gets slammed at the 15 yard line.....In the backfield he jump cuts instead of sticking his foot in the ground when changing direction and exploding forward. Case in point he never falls forward. That can be the difference between a 1 yard gain and a 4 sometimes. In contrast, Delorenzo always falls forward and runs down hill. Can't believe we haven't made him or number 1 with a change of pace with the jump-cutter. So sick of watching him dance and then fall backwards. Perfect example was that 8 yard loss he took when he tried to reverse fields and then just ducked down. He shouldn't have reversed and even then at the end instead of just ducking into a ball he should have dove forward to save another 2 yards.........He hasn't made any progress since his RFR. year.....Matter a fact he has digressed.
I couldn't say that better myself.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think they just trust he won't turn the ball over, which say what you want about McCombs, he is sure handed.+

I agree that's the reason. We would be better off to just let the ball go into the endzone.

Reaction Score
I'm fine with McCombs there for his sure hands if the goal was still to win games, but it's not. The goal is to develop players.

Let Dhameer Bradley, Noel Thomas, John Green - any one of your freshman WR who aren't redshirting try it.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It's amazing how many parts of this team suck. Starting a thread calling out a shortfall on this team is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Reaction Score
It's amazing how many parts of this team suck. Starting a thread calling out a shortfall on this team is like shooting fish in a barrel.

I said it in the game thread yesterday but its worth repeating. Were well rounded. Equally bad on offense, defense and special teams.

Joking aside, the biggest disappointment is how bad and inconsistent our sr. kickers have been. Wagner and Christen and especially Christen is a one man momentum killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom