Why is he playing purvis? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why is he playing purvis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
During one of the commercial breaks on the big screen down by 12 or so....they put a cutesy little karaoke michael jackson tune with purvis doing a bumbling singalong....how embarrassing with the night he was having.

All the grand opening hoopla with the starting player announcement.....spotlights flashing, pounding music, spectacular video footage of the mighty giant Huskies at their own Gampel Pavillion......all doused out by 4 tough 6' guards and a bearded pudgy leprechaun.
I keep thinking this team will never go anywhere without a strong presence under the hoop.....Wagner sure ran a clinic on winning without one.

Reaction Score
Give Enoch more minutes. Let him play through his mistakes and at least he trys to be a scorer. I think our guards and wings will be ok but our big guys might as well have stayed home.
Tries but fails. I guess he is another product of the sanction era.

Reaction Score
Good on D? I must not be watching the same guy. OK he blocks shots when he helps out i get that. He gets burned on pick and rolls by over hedging. Allows his man to get position. Stupid fouls. Does not box out. Does not rebound. Can't defend the low block when his man gets the ball. Does not bump cutters. Has anyone ever seen him throw an outlet pass? I know he tries and I know he is a good guy but please stop saying he is a good defensive player. And why the heck did he never go to big man camp?

Reaction Score
Most of us are basketball guys. No basketball guy is going to ever like Purvis' game. It is ugly and strictly relies on physicality and not skill. I'm sure he was awesome in high school, because he had a more developed body than all of the other teenagers. I have disliked his game from day one but despite that, he has the ability to play defense (didn't show it against Wagner), run the break, and hit an open 3. We will need him this year if we want to be good. But if he isn't doing his job, bench him.

Reaction Score
Purvis is very enigmatic. He's a guy who has some slashing skills. However, he cannot finish. And if he draws a foul, he's a mediocre FT shooter. He's a guy who has a decent jumper, but he is a set shooter and really needs to be open to have any sort of consistency. Our offense doesn't really create many open shots. He has a below average handle for a 2G and can be very lax with the ball. He at times is an inspired defender, yet he also gets torched quite a bit.

I'm with many thinking his minutes should maybe be cut a little bit. You can tell within 5 minutes whether or not he is going to play well.

Reaction Score
Purvis is a great teammate and a great husky. He has his negatives to be sure just like any other player. When this all shakes out this year you'll probably see that without him this would have been a really long down year. Of course, it could still be so. He has a few clunkers once in a while of course but 17 points against Kansas, 19 points against Colorado on a big stage as well as carrying us in some games last year. Despite frustrating us, he is a valuable piece.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I basically agree that he's a valuable piece despite my general disgust for his game, as mentioned above by @Kenny11 -- that's what makes him all the more frustrating, he's fairly important and CAN be a huge spark, but you have to deal with his junk and you never know when that spark is coming or going.

He's lacked a development in his offense where that inconsistency is shed, and it's frustrating because he's physically talented as heck.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
In regards to this loss the blame on him lies very low. Brimah wasn't the one losing shooters all over the place, shooting bricks, or committing multiple turnovers with the ball. That is on Purvis and Adams.
Was RP guarding the 270lb guy who chewed UConn on the inside?
AB has bees a digressing talent every year - it's a sad situation
RP plain sucked Friday but AB has as much on his shoulders also - no free pass

Reaction Score
Was RP guarding the 270lb guy who chewed UConn on the inside?
AB has bees a digressing talent every year - it's a sad situation
RP plain sucked Friday but AB has as much on his shoulders also - no free pass

That guy was not getting buckets 1 on 1 vs Brimah, and no, Purvis and Adams were much more to blame for that loss on Friday, not even close. When Purvis is not on, he is a massive detriment offensively(and defensively he was in outerspace on Friday) and we have now seen this bizarro play from him for 2 years +1 game now.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I hate the BY after a loss.

Reaction Score
Purvis is a great teammate and a great husky. He has his negatives to be sure just like any other player. When this all shakes out this year you'll probably see that without him this would have been a really long down year. Of course, it could still be so. He has a few clunkers once in a while of course but 17 points against Kansas, 19 points against Colorado on a big stage as well as carrying us in some games last year. Despite frustrating us, he is a valuable piece.
He is what we have and there is no success without him contributing this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom