Why is Geno Smiling? | The Boneyard

Why is Geno Smiling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
It is 9 days before Y2K strikes, and Geno has just witnessed an incredible shot by one of his players, maybe one he will never see again. Why is he smiling?

And Biff is not allowed to answer.

geno99.jpg

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
He knows he's about to average one NC every other year over the next 14?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes Dobbs, it was Cash's basket for UCLA (wrong end). Rebounds after the missed FT and puts up a beautiful shot right through the UCLA basket.

I believe she makes up for it on the next play though, by feeding Ralph on a beautiful backdoor cut. IIRC?

Reaction Score
Yes Dobbs, it was Cash's basket for UCLA (wrong end). Rebounds after the missed FT and puts up a beautiful shot right through the UCLA basket.

I believe she makes up for it on the next play though, by feeding Ralph on a beautiful backdoor cut. IIRC?

I think that was it....it also happened to be the funniest thing I've seen in basketball. :D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think he's still smiling. Reasons might include (1) having the best shooter in WCBB, still perfecting her Maya Moore resemblance, back for two more years; (2) having the Final Four MOP, with amazing potential, back for 3 more years; (3) having 3 years to develop a PG with off-the-charts skills; and (4) other guys named Stef, Bria, Kiah, Brianna, Morgan, Saniya, and Becca.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yeah, so Swin grabs the UCLA miss of the FT, sets up perfectly and nails the jumper in a game that UConn would win 106-64 on the way to their second NC. So Geno can afford to smile here. Not sure if he would have been chuckling if it happened in the 72-71 loss to UTenn that season, but here at the end of the millenium when points are plentiful in the game, maybe it's not so hard to forget whose basket is whose.

As you can see, perfect form on the shot.

geno-swin99.jpg

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
And perfect form on the "oops" smile and following face in hands.

geno-swin99b.jpg

And no, Meyers, you can never really "make up" for a shot like that, but yes, smothered between two defenders near the right sideline on the next play, she splits them and feeds a perfect bounce pass to Shea for a totally uncontested basket. Revenge for our stupids is sweet.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
So Dobbs....can I chime in now?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score

All yours. I was thinking on the way home that there was one very important thing I'd forgotten to do, but you took care of it with a link to Masterpiece Theatre, or now, just Masterpiece.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Was going to link that, but thought I would give people some time to guess beyond me.

I just ran across it a couple days ago. Can't remember why though.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Was going to link that, but thought I would give people some time to guess beyond me.

I just ran across it a couple days ago. Can't remember why though.
Fess up, last Monday you stepped in for a rebound off a FT and tolchokked a beautiful jumper that reminded you of a Swinnie shot from way back, and you just had to look it up knowing the Biffster had posted the shot for eternal reverence. Do you get the feeling that if Swin met up with Biff she might have a few suggestions for how he could rearrange his torso in a way that would jive more with her sense of design?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
"She had the shot. Why not take it?" Classic truism, and it's what I always say. My basket, your basket, what's the difference?

The question of who gets credit for the points is interesting. Is it like in hockey that it's given to the last opponent to touch the puck\ball, even if it's the goalie? I'm assuming the UCLA FT shooter sort of got credit for rebounding her miss and doing an incredible imitation of Swin Cash shooting an all-net jumper.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I think the rule is that the closest UCLA player gets the basket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom