Why is ESPNU showing the first round matchups? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Why is ESPNU showing the first round matchups?

Reaction Score
Yeah I mean I’m glad we are not the #2 in Chicago or Greensboro. But this is a nice change of pace.

Being a #1 seed is a status thing that fans get all worked up over but per se not important.
Prefer road blue.

Reaction Score
This is my one complaint about their "reveals." A lack of consistency from one to the next.

If they had put MSU ahead of UConn on Mar. 4, I wouldn't have been at all surprised, and in fact I kinda expected it. But if UConn's resume as of that date was deemed better than MSU's as of the same date, I find it very hard to believe that beating Tennessee, Missouri and Arkansas in the SEC tournament was the thing that nudged MSU past UConn.
Very good point. I guess the "reveals" are just used for a ratings boost because they, at least this year, are nothing more than "clickbait for tv".
And to add to your point, heck, we won our conference tournament without 1 of our 2 best players!!! Louisville was down 2 players and lost the conference tournament game by 20 - to a team that they had lost to before and a team that we beat on their home court!!!

As someone else quoted: UCONN FATIGUE!!!!!!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Did any of us know that ESPN Public Relations has its own Twitter account?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Another first round rematch..... Maine goes to Raleigh again. The Black Bears got declawed the first time around.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Another first round rematch..... Maine goes to Raleigh again. The Black Bears got declawed the first time around.
See now this I don't get. The NCAA's own manual says they're supposed to try to avoid rematches of regular season games in the first 2 rounds, "if possible."

Well, of course there are scenarios where it wouldn't be possible. Fine. But with Maine, why not just have them switch places with New Mexico State and send them to Ames? I'm not seeing that this would create any other conflict in the bracket.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Just noticed that UConn's path puts them up against the 3 top teams they faced on the road, ND, Louis, Baylor.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
UConn played 3 of the 4 #1 seeds and played all of them on the road.

Reaction Score
You know the women deserve better than this. "Oh, we regret that we pay so little attention to what we're doing that we would let this colossal F---up happen in the first place but... we promise it won't happen again". Unreal.

I've always been a basketball fan. Men's college ball, the pros back when they used to play defense and I watched some of the very first women's national championships that they used to televise because that was the only women's games that would be nationally televised. The Burge sisters with Dawn Staley playing for Virginia back around 1990. Medina Dixon leading ODU back in the 80's. The basketball wasn't nearly as good as it is now but enough people believed and persevered. Now women's basketball is very competitive, very enjoyable to watch and doesn't deserve to be treated like this. What a freakin shame. ESPN... you guys suck!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The frigging conference is killing UCONN WBB!
From the horses mouth-aka the Chairwoman of the selection of the committee.
Why is UCONN a #2 seed? "It came down to strength of schedule and strength of conference".

Conference didn't kill UConn when the committee had UConn as one of four #1 seeds during their top 16 teams for the past couple months.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Conference didn't kill UConn when the committee had UConn as one of four #1 seeds during their top 16 teams for the past couple months.

Exactly. So what happened? Miss state won the SEC by beating a team that didn't even make the tournament. The Committee members got the memo and the chairwoman repeated the talking points with no follow-up from the ESPN talking heads. It's college sports as we now know it and it has begun to infect women's basketball.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
UCLA gets sent to Northeast again? Well, they'd have to get through the first weekend. But, still, that's like 3 out of last 4 years, I believe, where they are sent cross-country.
Seems right. I call that getting screwed.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
If this is the bracket, I predict UCONN vs UCLA game. I believe UCLA will take care of Tennessee and Maryland.
You could very well be right. I read that UCLA is hot. And physical. Actually, I see that as a boon for UConn, either way. In other words, UConn would not face OSU until the E8. I see them as a tough out.

I think UConn could beat anyone in their region. The Louisville game was at Louisville, in front of 17,000 people, and in the midst of Lou's shooting woes. I wouldn't be afraid of playing them again. In fact, that would be the best E8 match-up UConn could hope for. I see Oregon State at least as least as concerning, if not more.

If you wouldn't mind: When did Hebard get hurt in the Civil War II at Gill? Was that the difference in the game? I saw a good part of the first meeting at Eugene, where OSU gave UO everything it wanted.

Reaction Score
You could very well be right. I read that UCLA is hot. And physical. Actually, I see that as a boon for UConn, either way. In other words, UConn would not face OSU until the E8. I see them as a tough out.

I think UConn could beat anyone in their region. The Louisville game was at Louisville, in front of 17,000 people, and in the midst of Lou's shooting woes. I wouldn't be afraid of playing them again. In fact, that would be the best E8 match-up UConn could hope for. I see Oregon State at least as least as concerning, if not more.

If you wouldn't mind: When did Hebard get hurt in the Civil War II at Gill? Was that the difference in the game? I saw a good part of the first meeting at Eugene, where OSU gave UO everything it wanted.
Herberd was injured early in the 2nd quarter (if memory serves me). OSU was leading UO at that time, but there is no doubt without Herberd on the court, it took UO time to adjust. Herberd make Sabrina better as they have great chemistry, especially on the pick & roll. Not having Herberd for a few games gave their back up center some floor time, which I believe will help UO in the tournament. If UO ends up facing MSU, I am confident that UO will win that game. In Portland, a HUGE UO fan base, will propel UO to FF.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
ESPN =. Extraordinarily Sloppy Programming Network

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member