Why is Cummings getting a free pass | The Boneyard

Why is Cummings getting a free pass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The offensive line is performing at a level lower than GD. He either can not coach his group up or is not able to recruit kids that have the athletic ability to improve. He's coached Levy and Knappe for 3 years. How has that turned out? Did you see how much better Temple's offensive line was than ours? It must be brutal looking at the game fill with the offensive line each Sunday.

Reaction Score
I don't think he gets a pass at al! His head has been called for on here as much as anyone. IMHO he has already called a moving company and I doubt he and Diaco will be bringing their families on vacation together the next few years.

Reaction Score
There is a thread on here highlighting the Note Dame game seven years ago.
Coach Foley built that line.
At B.C. last week, the line was putrid in contrast.

If Diaco stays, Cummings aND VErducci need to be let go.

Reaction Score
We need an O.c. with proven results.
How would this be?. what do you think about a package deal....

Coach Foley back to rebuild the O.L
And bring down as offensive coordinator Whipple who is on the hot seat at Umass. if he is let go...he can start right away.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The offensive line is performing at a level lower than GD. He either can not coach his group up or is not able to recruit kids that have the athletic ability to improve. He's coached Levy and Knappe for 3 years. How has that turned out? Did you see how much better Temple's offensive line was than ours? It must be brutal looking at the game fill with the offensive line each Sunday.

I literally started a thread a few weeks back called "Cummings has to go". I've been bitching about him for 3 years. And like FDNY said, let's hope this is his last thanksgiving here...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Not thrilled with Whip (more dislike of him as a person than of his football mind) but adding he and Foley to the staff (and allowing them the opportunity to run what they are in charge of) would be a huge step forward.

Drop Cummings & Lineburg, put Foley in charge of the line, Whip as OC & QB coach, restore Corey as RB coach and I like our outlook.

I'd flip Wolthausen and Brown back (to DL & LB respectively), make Poindexter DB (instead of merely safety) and add a DC who understands the system we are teaching but us a bit more aggressive.

We can give a couple of the demotions associate HC titles to ease the hit to the ego. Do this and give the new coordinators enough latitude things may move forward.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Not thrilled with Whip (more dislike of him as a person than of his football mind) but adding he and Foley to the staff (and allowing them the opportunity to run what they are in charge of) would be a huge step forward.

Drop Cummings & Lineburg, put Foley in charge of the line, Whip as OC & QB coach, restore Corey as RB coach and I like our outlook.

I'd flip Wolthausen and Brown back (to DL & LB respectively), make Poindexter DB (instead of merely safety) and add a DC who understands the system we are teaching but us a bit more aggressive.

We can give a couple of the demotions associate HC titles to ease the hit to the ego. Do this and give the new coordinators enough latitude things may move forward.

I think you're being really optimistic. Do you actually believe he's going to make changes on the defensive side of the ball? Based on all his comments, I think he believes the defense is fine. And that's what scares me...

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I think you're being really optimistic. Do you actually believe he's going to make changes on the defensive side of the ball? Based on all his comments, I think he believes the defense is fine. And that's what scares me...
That's also what scares me more than anything.

Reaction Score

You will know exactly how delusional he is, up against how desperate he is to win, by the changes to the defensive staff...or lack thereof. Obviously the offense will be changed, but if he really thinks the defensive staff is OK as currently constituted, then we know he will not bend on his ridiculous 1950's style defensive philosophy.

Fingers crossed.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I agree with this too. I think we'll see if he's really being pressed by DB if he changes his defensive staff as well. If that happens, there might be a small glimmer of hope that next season won't be a complete train wreck.

Reaction Score

This is exactly right. I doubt it happens since Diaco even says he oversees the defense himself but hope springs eternal during this time of year. But if all the new coaches were Diaco frat brothers I won't be expecting much.

Reaction Score
This is exactly right. I doubt it happens since Diaco even says he oversees the defense himself but hope springs eternal during this time of year. But if all the new coaches were Diaco frat brothers I won't be expecting much.
If he goes down that road again he will be gone before he can blink his eyes. But then again he thinks his defense is performing at a high level.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Fiasco had a chance to keep Foley and didn't. Not sure where he is now, but once Randy left, he was messed with by P and dumped by F. I would love him back, but not sure that is in the cards. We need a new OC and OL coach. A good QB coach would be nice as well if Williams is the guy, he needs daily tutoring.

I don't see any defensive or special team changes since the idiot thinks they are fine. I can't believe Benedict would force him to change on D and special teams.

At that point, all he would be doing is collecting a paycheck but not coaching to his heart and mind. And that is where Diaco would leave- when he can't do it all his way.

Reaction Score
Fiasco had a chance to keep Foley and didn't. Not sure where he is now, but once Randy left, he was messed with by P and dumped by F. I would love him back, but not sure that is in the cards. We need a new OC and OL coach. A good QB coach would be nice as well if Williams is the guy, he needs daily tutoring.

I don't see any defensive or special team changes since the idiot thinks they are fine. I can't believe Benedict would force him to change on D and special teams.

At that point, all he would be doing is collecting a paycheck but not coaching to his heart and mind. And that is where Diaco would leave- when he can't do it all his way.
Foley is the OL coach for Whipple at UMass.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
The unfortunate thing is that even if they are not frat brothers, the new staff members will be of little use if Diaco doesn't give them sufficient latitude to make the necessary changes in approach.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The unfortunate thing is that even if they are not frat brothers, the new staff members will be of little use if Diaco doesn't give them sufficient latitude to make the necessary changes in approach.

Look, if Benedict doesn't dictate the off season coaching staff changes, then we're stuck with more of Coach Fiasco's pals on the payroll. Nothing changes.

If Benedict mans up and hand picks the replacements, telling him in no uncertain terms that he must give them the latitude to run what they think is best, then we have a HC who's pissed off because he's effectively a lame duck and we're just playing out the string until they can him. How well that would work out is a total crap shoot. Either way we're screwed in my view...too many moving parts all moving in different directions.

It's all nothing more than moving the deck chairs on the SS UConnFootball, which goes down for good. Anything short of firing this clown NOW seals our fate as a football program epic failure and consigns us to G5 purgatory forever.

Reaction Score
Benedict knows the score. Expect a sit down with BD and a housecleaning. Unless we can find $3++M lying around--BD stays.

Reaction Score
Benedict knows the score. Expect a sit down with BD and a housecleaning. Unless we can find $3++M lying around--BD stays.
Sounds like he has already had a precursor to this conversation with Diaco from the comments that have been given in his last 2 presser's Nos.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Dano the only thing that's scares me is that we'll be stuck with this A. Hole til the flintstones return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom