Why is becca screaming? | The Boneyard

Why is becca screaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Does she think the yelling makes the game more exciting?
Probably because she cannot hear her own voice over the crowd noise. Small, packed Delaware gym going crazy for the home team.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
it is a bit disconcerting....I am used to a much calmer Rebecca....took me aback when I first heard her I must say

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
She seems to be copying Burke. They both like to start a sentence with "Go on" and it end sentences with "girl."

Reaction Score
she thinks she is Dick Vitale

Mr. Vitale's first name has been censored........ LOL

U

UCONNfan1

She sux.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Agreed to the extent I don't like her new style. I always liked her and Lawson because they are smart and frank. I get enough Vitale with men's hoops to last a lifetime.

Reaction Score
I like Kara. Never thought I would say that. Rebecca I cannot stomach. Especially during UConn games.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I've noticed it this year. Rebecca has been "espn-ified." Sad.

I agree that she overdoes the delivery far too often. Still love her but I like her better with less sizzle. She has great observations and contributions to give.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

I agree with you. I noticed that in every game I saw her do this year. She picks spots and injects that yelling in a very calculated way. It really doesn't feel spontaneous.
It seems like she was given a directive to amp up her narrative to fit with the ESPN "style". Too bad.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
That was the most disappointing broadcast by Rebecca I have ever heard. Pure ESPN. I'm not sure where they are getting their data but clearly ESPN thinks that "style" is what the audience wants. Maybe on the whole they are right but it's not for me.

Reaction Score
anyone who was switching back-and-forth between the Delaware game and the Louisville game noticed the difference in crowd-noise volume. Lobo's "yelling" would have sounded more in context, if ESPN had appropriately miked the crowd volume. Pam Ward generally has no pulse, which makes the contrast stand out. I think Lobo was extra-jazzed to see another player experience the fairy-tale she did, in the very first Tennessee game.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
That was the most disappointing broadcast by Rebecca I have ever heard. Pure ESPN. I'm not sure where they are getting their data but clearly ESPN thinks that "style" is what the audience wants. Maybe on the whole they are right but it's not for me.

I agree. I found myself hitting the mute button so I wouldn't have to listen anymore.

Val Ackerman has been hired as a consultant by the NCAA to provide an assessment of the women's game. I'm sure fans could put together quite a list for her -- she should seek fan input -- and one of the items on my list would be ESPN's coverage. The difference between the networks' coverage of the men's and women's tournament is stunning, and I'm not talking about the number of games that are broadcast (that's economics). Fans of the men's game get substance; women's fans get style (3 to see and other nonsense). Maybe that's economics too and without it there would be fewer fans. I don't know but watching the games is less enjoyable than it used to be.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I agree. I found myself hitting the mute button so I wouldn't have to listen anymore.

Val Ackerman has been hired as a consultant by the NCAA to provide an assessment of the women's game. I'm sure fans could put together quite a list for her -- she should seek fan input -- and one of the items on my list would be ESPN's coverage. The difference between the networks' coverage of the men's and women's tournament is stunning, and I'm not talking about the number of games that are broadcast (that's economics). Fans of the men's game get substance; women's fans get style (3 to see and other nonsense). Maybe that's economics too and without it there would be fewer fans. I don't know but watching the games is less enjoyable than it used to be.

That might be a reflection of the fans as much as anything else. I think ESPN is trying to market the game based on what they think the fans want to see.

I have no doubt that some ESPN producer has directed Lobo to amp it up. She's too smart to do that on her own.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

I liked Rebecca's contributions the best when they had her as a sideline reporter, especially when she would listen in on the huddle or listen to the bench coaching in general during games. Also she is great at spotting little gems that occur during the action.

She is still good but her style is going the wrong way

Reaction Score
Oh get over yourselves and turn off the volume and listen to the radio if you are so bothered-Becca is more "animated" this year because ESPN thinks that is what will help grow the audience-the younger audience. Be grateful that ESPN has made the commitment to cover the tournament as it has- my guess is that the revenue and audience share doesn't merit the coverage, sadly.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Maybe they can grab Jeff Van Gundy for the FF.....?

:cool:

Reaction Score
I suspect Ms. Lobo is simply following an ESPN direction, as though think they are programming to an audience that has absolutely no understanding of basketball.

Analysis is pretty much limited to commenting on what we are seeing, then amplifying it so we get how "cool" it is - the "Wow - Look at That!" inanity.

Hence little actual analysis - such as, coming out of a timeout whether or not UConn should foul Notre Dame up 3 with time expiring, or coming out of a timeout, what play UConn should look to run with 19 seconds remaining in a tie game. To me it's an insult to the audience, and the women's game.

As such it was a real pleasure (and relief) watching the men's tournament on CBS. Constant analysis on defensive tactics, attack options, substitutions, etc... Yeah - we can see they're in a 2-3. Why are they in a 2-3? What should the offense do about it? Great stuff.

The lead-up to and coverage of the final 29 seconds of Ohio State - Iowa State was dead spot on.

Reaction Score
I suspect Ms. Lobo is simply following an ESPN direction, as though think they are programming to an audience that has absolutely no understanding of basketball.

Analysis is pretty much limited to commenting on what we are seeing, then amplifying it so we get how "cool" it is - the "Wow - Look at That!" inanity.

Hence little actual analysis - such as, coming out of a timeout whether or not UConn should foul Notre Dame up 3 with time expiring, or coming out of a timeout, what play UConn should look to run with 19 seconds remaining in a tie game. To me it's an insult to the audience, and the women's game.

As such it was a real pleasure (and relief) watching the men's tournament on CBS. Constant analysis on defensive tactics, attack options, substitutions, etc... Yeah - we can see they're in a 2-3. Why are they in a 2-3? What should the offense do about it? Great stuff.

The lead-up to and coverage of the final 29 seconds of Ohio State - Iowa State was dead spot on.
Great point...CBS is head and shoulders above ESPN on basketball!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

As an Iowa State alum, that ending was......disappointing. In fairness to the ref, I think that block/charge was a bang-bang play, as they say, but given the timing in the game I would have expected a no-call because it was so close. I was actually less concerned about where the defender's feet were (although I know that is key) and more concerned about when he got to the spot. Whatever the precise wording of the rule is, it seemed to me that the shooter was already beginning to rise toward the basket, whether or not his feet had left the ground. I think we need to have a point of emphasis that if the defender has not established clear position at a point in time where the offensive player can actually make a move to avoid him, then it should be called a block. The Iowa State player made a strong move to the basket and IMHO the defender was there too late.

As Sir Charles said afterwards, "That was a tuurrible call. Just turrible."

Reaction Score

Agreed. She's and Lawson are my favorites. This year she seems to be giving more of the standard ESPN shouted one-liners. Even has that kind of sing-song up and down tone that reminds me of how people imitate sports announcers in comedy skits.

Reaction Score
As an Iowa State alum, that ending was......disappointing.
As Sir Charles said afterwards, "That was a tuurrible call. Just turrible."

VAMike - while I feel (but don't share in this particular instance ;)) your pain, my comment addresses the broadcast, not the actual result or officiating.

CBS discussion during that final timeout, and the ensuing coverage both while Aaron Craft dribbled down 28 of the final 29 seconds culminating in that last second "buzzer-beater out of a child's daydream" (NY Times), and the after-math with Jim Nance and Clark Kellogg was exceptionally well done (heart-breaking result for some notwithstanding).

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
As someone astutely pointed put... SCREAMING ALWAYS MAKES EVERYTHING SO MUCH EXCITING!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom