Why has Baylor receive so little ink? | The Boneyard

Why has Baylor receive so little ink?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
It seems the media is writing or talking about every team doing this or that in the NCAA tourney but the obvious team, Baylor. It is like Baylor is just going about their business knowing in the end they will win it all. "We don't need the hype, we are the real thing." Has media decide they have to hype every other team to build some kind story or false promise or false tension?

Reaction Score
It's the customary thing to do. We're very used to it. It has a lot to do with the coach. So many just don't understand her passion and commitment. But Kim and Geno are the best two active coaches in WBB. And everybody knows that actually. But there's a ton of football and Mens BB fans even here at Baylor, and apparently they have little bitty wee we's because they take issue with a womens team that's always better than the mens team.
I’d say Muffet is better then Kim. You could say the same about Tara also. But it’s a matter of who You ask.

Reaction Score
Baylor and Kim have had a terrific year. Media looks for drama and Baylor has been winning quietly and convincingly. Look forward to seeing you in the finals!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Where are you getting that Baylor has received less ink than the other teams? I don't think that's the case.

Reaction Score
It's the customary thing to do. We're very used to it. It has a lot to do with the coach. So many just don't understand her passion and commitment. But Kim and Geno are the best two active coaches in WBB. And everybody knows that actually. But there's a ton of football and Mens BB fans even here at Baylor, and apparently they have little bitty wee we's because they take issue with a womens team that's always better than the mens team.

I wouldn't say Kim is better than Muffet, Tara, Ave Walz. She's up there but better? It's not hard to win with 6'7 post players and even half way decent guard play. Geno is without a doubt the best active coach but he's getting competition lately. Lots of good coaches coming along.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Kim is among the best coaches but missing 6 straight Final Fours with the talent she had is a major knock on her.

Why isn't Baylor spoken about as much as the other Final Four teams? They don't have standouts that the other programs do:

Oregon-Ionescu and her triple doubles

UCONN-it's freaking UCONN who is the goliath of WBB

Notre Dame-they're the defending champs and have Arike who gets more publicity than almost anyone

Baylor has:
Kalani Brown-modest numbers and a very quiet but excellent AA season that has been overlooked compared to other posts like Gustafson and McCowan. Didnt win conference POY either.

Kim Mulkey, whose recent reputation has been to lose to worse teams in the regionals

....that's about it. As a team I think they're the favorite to win it all, but as far as the media is concerned, there is nothing unique or exceptional anout their team and individual players. Mulkey's grandkid seems to be getting more publicity than a lot of the players.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I think people just aren't used to them being the "favorite" in this tournament since Brittney Griner. So they won't be headlining the media until they win a championship again, if so then next year they'll have all the talk.

2013 was the last year they were favored to win the championship. It's been UConn every year after that, and maybe sometimes Notre Dame. I don't know if Mississippi State was favored to be #2 or not last year besides UConn, but it wasn't Baylor last year anyways.

But yeah, they absolutely should win the championship this year.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Kim is among the best coaches but missing 6 straight Final Fours with the talent she had is a major knock on her.

Why isn't Baylor spoken about as much as the other Final Four teams? They don't have standouts that the other programs do:

Oregon-Ionescu and her triple doubles

UCONN-it's freaking UCONN who is the goliath of WBB

Notre Dame-they're the defending champs and have Arike who gets more publicity than almost anyone

Baylor has:
Kalani Brown-modest numbers and a very quiet but excellent AA season that has been overlooked compared to other posts like Gustafson and McCowan. Didnt win conference POY either.

Kim Mulkey, whose recent reputation has been to lose to worse teams in the regionals

....that's about it. As a team I think they're the favorite to win it all, but as far as the media is concerned, there is nothing unique or exceptional anout their team and individual players. Mulkey's grandkid seems to be getting more publicity than a lot of the players.

Cox is the biggest story for me. I really love her game. Such a difference maker.
and we got a taste of it already.

Reaction Score
It seems the media is writing or talking about every team doing this or that in the NCAA tourney but the obvious team, Baylor. It is like Baylor is just going about their business knowing in the end they will win it all. "We don't need the hype, we are the real thing." Has media decide they have to hype every other team to build some kind story or false promise or false tension?
Probably because they are not the defending National Champions - ND is. And, also the are not newbies to the FF - Oregon is. Even the Huskies are getting less ink than those two teams and frankly, I'm grateful.

Reaction Score
Don't know. Perhaps it's because they are so awesome! Last night their twin towers- Cox and Brown- scored 36 points between them. Baylor scored more points in the paint than Iowa scored in total.

What scares me is that if you look at their bench, they essentially have a top ten team sitting there not playing, or barely playing: eight underclassmen, including four freshmen who are over 6' tall.

And next year they not only bring back that Top 10 team now on the bench, but they also bring back Lauren Cox.

Sorry to get ahead of myself, but- awesome! 538 Blog has them with more than a 50% chance of taking it all.

Prohibitive favorites.

Reaction Score
Baylor is always a contender because of their Recruiting coach. She is hands down top 3 recruiter.

Far as Baylor receiving little press. Might it be because Baylor is center around two Bigs. The game has changed and so have the fans. Baylor only seems dominant when they have centers taller than everyone on the court. The two twin towers work so well together. It's a shame that it's under appreciated.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
The best coach is a subjective topic. The coach with the highest winning percentage is most assuredly an objective measure, no discussion needed. Only Geno produces wins at a higher rate than Kim Mulkey.
1554211002071.png

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Everyone knows about the Griner Sweet 16 loss to Louisville obviously. Since then, Kim Mulkey's main crime is she can't beat Oregon St in the tournament, losing to them in 2016 and 2018 when Baylor was heavily favored. The other losses are to #1 seeded ND (twice), and in 2017 to #2 seed Miss St (whom as everyone here knows, reached the final that year).

Reaction Score

I wrote here after the UConn/Baylor game that the Bears were the country's best team, strong everywhere. Eventually, Baylor was nationally acknowledged as #1 and remained there. They are and should be overwhelming favorites to cut down the net in Tampa. I'm not happy about that, but it seems like reality: they are a terrible match-up for any team.
I disagree, however, that Kim is one of the two best coaches in wcbb. Surely Geno is the best, though many would pick Tara as among the best. Mulkey, histrionics, costumes, and cosmetics aside, is definitely up there; so is (yuck) Muffet. Kim, like Vic, should learn a bit of self-control. There are more dignified ways to express "passion and commitment."
All that said, look for Baylor to finish on top. :(

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Against Cal, South Carolina, and Iowa, the Bears have scored over 50 points in the paint. Against Uconn I believe the Bears had 52 points in the paint.
The thing is all of the players are contributing on Baylor, not just Brown and Cox.
Interesting to see what Oregon, a well balanced team, can do with them.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The best coach is a subjective topic. The coach with the highest winning percentage is most assuredly an objective measure, no discussion needed. Only Geno produces wins at a higher rate than Kim Mulkey.
View attachment 41724

Interesting list! Thanks. #13 and #14 get a lot of abuse around here. And elsewhere.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Interesting list! Thanks. #13 and #14 get a lot of abuse around here. And elsewhere.

You are welcome.
Yeah, it is amazing how sports can generate such negative feelings. I mentioned another time about Warlick being high on this list and who could be a candidate to replace her. Why hire someone who is not above Holly on this list? Apparently this is too logical. People like to talk about what they think reality is, not what it actually is. We are all the most knowledgeable coaches and basketball analysts. I am including myself.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The list is a bit confusing. It lists Scott Rueck as #15. It lists him with 22 years of service. 9 have been at OSU and the rest at George Fox U, either D2 or D3. Now it is worded to only include 4 year colleges, which GFU is, but to include all D2/D3 wins is a bit misleading. IMO
Ruecks record at OSU, prior to the 2018-19 season is 179-89 or about a .667 percentage. His record at GFU was 288-88. for about a .766 percentage.

Reaction Score
Watched the Baylor/Iowa game last night and I would be surprised if they don't win it all. So many weapons, understanding it was against Iowa but Richards and Landrum seem to be getting better by each game. The Oregon/Baylor game will be fun to watch..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom