Why don't we play more games in Bridgeport? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why don't we play more games in Bridgeport?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Its bad enough UConn has to do charity work for Hartford, they don't need to do it for Bridgeport too.

Sick of the FFC whining. Its the most affluent area in the country. God forbid you guys have a lil' longer commute, oh no, the University of Connecticut might play at the University of Connecticut, what an incredible inconvenience.

zls44

Reaction Score
Go where the money is.

Somebody, anybody, please show me proof of how playing MBB/WBB/MHOC in Bridgeport for a few seasons led to some spigot of FFC cash being turned on. Rizza donation for soccer, maybe?

Reaction Score
Its bad enough UConn has to do charity work for Hartford, they don't need to do it for Bridgeport too.

Sick of the FFC whining. Its the most affluent area in the country. God forbid you guys have a lil' longer commute, oh no, the University of Connecticut might play at the University of Connecticut, what an incredible inconvenience.

Hey now, there's a Stamford Campus :) People are just pointing out there is a large population and tons of alum in Ffld Cty. I don't mind the commute.. it's just impossible on a weeknight to make the game. Weekends it's cake to get to Hartford/Storrs and back.

Reaction Score
Now thats not True what part of shoreline?
I left Essex at 5 PM had time for a quick bite at Willimantic Brewing and was in my seat at Tip.

Branford to Storrs right now according to Google Maps is an hour and 24 minutes. Generously assuming I can leave my office by 5 PM, and rush hour will only get worse, I could make it work if I grabbed a quick dinner somewhere. That's a 2 hour, 50 minute round trip on a weeknight though. It's not happening.

Reaction Score

The rich (or elites) don't attend the games in mass numbers, trust me. Many alumni down here and yes donors. Yes its one of the richest counties in America so go get some of that money UConn. Not necessarily via attendance but maintaining that connection to it. The University could benefit from that outreach and direct visibility. There are a few high schools and young kids down here who would love to see some live and damn good basketball talent. UConn basketball is entertainment in its truest since.

Once a year or every other year ain't a lot to ask. Like I said during break or holiday when the campus is usually dead is a nice compromise.

Trust me there are thousands of rabid fanatics 'down here'.

Reaction Score

If you expect folks to routinely make a nearly four-hour round trip to two-hour basketball game you need your head examined.

Reaction Score
If you expect folks to routinely make a nearly four-hour round trip to two-hour basketball game you need your head examined.
People forget that UConn basketball is the biggest (and perhaps only) national program in the State. There is no other competition. In fact all the major State papers have a devoted UConn sports section. All the TV stations cover the game results/highlights and often the team status. Its like a State having one pro football/basketball team, however that team is not centrally located in Storrs, not available via public transportation and certainly not convenient to get to for a 2 hour game. Even worse there is usually no public TV coverage for statewide fans to watch the games.

Just saying UConn has outgrown Storrs CT, and if they were a pro team they would have relocated. So to me one good alternative is to play now and again down South (or is it West?).

Reaction Score
I thought the games played at Bridgeport we’re well attended especially considering the opponent. The venue is really a nice place to watch a game. I remember when they first did it there was talk to have a game a year there. What happened?

zls44

Reaction Score
I don't mind the commute.. it's just impossible on a weeknight to make the game.

Its not impossible. Its a pain in the ass. Different things. I'm not saying you aren't a true fan or anything, but this "impossible" thing is crap. The team isn't any good so you don't wanna go through the trouble. But I've had enough of people who live in FFC making it sound like Storrs is in Orono. Stop it, please. Enough.

If UConn was ranked and playing a big game on a Tuesday night, you'd be there an hour early for shootaround.

zls44

Reaction Score
Just saying UConn has outgrown Storrs CT, and if they were a pro team they would have relocated.

This is so inaccurate its hilarious.

Honest to Kemba, almost every other damn program in the country plays on campus, has fans who travel from very long distances to attend games. But somehow asking a person to make a tough commute from Fairfield to Storrs is like putting them on the cross.

The University of Connecticut basketball team is the basketball team of the University of Connecticut.
Its primary source of revenue is fees paid by students attending the University of Connecticut.
The team is comprised of students of the University of Connecticut.
The main campus of the University of Connecticut is located in Storrs, Connecticut.

I'm cool with playing winter break games in Hartford, even going to Bridgeport once in a while (even though I truly believe the benefits are a complete red herring). But I feel the majority of the games should be on campus like almost every other program in the country.

Good lord, there's a state-of-the-art, NBA-ready arena sitting a stone's throw from Lawrence that doesn't have a tenant. You don't see/hear about KU alums demanding that games be moved to Kansas City.

Somehow, some way...they manage.

Reaction Score
People in FFC can't go to Gampel and most can't get to XL either in time, so why not play 2 or so games in Bridgeport and one at Mohegan.
So if we have 15 home games:
8 at XL
4 at Gampel
2 at Bridgeport
1 at Mohegan

Go where the money is.
Wanna see a bigger recruiting drop off? Institute this plan

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Its not impossible. Its a pain in the ass. Different things. I'm not saying you aren't a true fan or anything, but this "impossible" thing is crap. The team isn't any good so you don't wanna go through the trouble. But I've had enough of people who live in FFC making it sound like Storrs is in Orono. Stop it, please. Enough.

If UConn was ranked and playing a big game on a Tuesday night, you'd be there an hour early for shootaround.

I will admit it was easier to do in my 30s. In my 50s...4 hours round trip is tough, especially when I have to plan my pisses, lol.

Reaction Score
I grew up on the shoreline in SE CT and we would refer to Bridgeport as the armpit of CT. Not a place you wanted to go, not safe or pretty and IMO, even worse than Hartford (side note: W. Hartford is nice in its own right, to be fair). I would say it is a poor choice to hold a game. Stick with Gampel, increase the amount of games there and stick with the XL center (sigh) but no more. Mohegan is a nice place, but only for an exhibition IMO.
You're a little behind. I've spent most of my life in SW CT and Bridgeport is not anywhere near what it used to be. Almost all projects have been torn down. It is being gentrified at breakneck speed. Never thought I'd see this happen.

Reaction Score
While I agree Bridgeport is an ugly city it still would be nice for UConn to help them out once in a while. Call it charity if you want but the City and surrounding area would certainly show up and show their gratitude.
When it the last time you drove through the West Side? Lot of work being done. Redevelopment is reaching over to the East Side too. Constructing a new high school at the former GE plant site.

Reaction Score
You know, I could be wrong on that. I thought I saw something recently that they flew commercial to the PK80 (edit: Goodman tweeted that UConn was on his flight to PK80) and just assumed that's how they were traveling for all away games now.
Our fan base are delusional if they think we can keep up in the recruiting world like this. These kids don't get paid so they will go where they can get the best perks while playing in Power 5 conferences.

Last edited:

zls44

Reaction Score
I will admit it was easier to do in my 30s. In my 50s...4 hours round trip is tough, especially when I have to plan my pisses, lol.

That's fair.

Look, to be clear: its a long commute and every highway sucks. I'm aware. But its not impossible.

Reaction Score
You're a little behind. I've spent most of my life in SW CT and Bridgeport is not anywhere near what it used to be. Almost all projects have been torn down. It is being gentrified at breakneck speed. Never thought I'd see this happen.

What area is being gentrified? Black Rock is Black Rock. There are some decent spots around downtown. And the city is a mess.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Good lord, there's a state-of-the-art, NBA-ready arena sitting a stone's throw from Lawrence that doesn't have a tenant. You don't see/hear about KU alums demanding that games be moved to Kansas City.

UConn has won more titles than Kansas. Maybe they should tweak things a bit.

Reaction Score
What area is being gentrified? Black Rock is Black Rock. There are some decent spots around downtown. And the city is a mess.
I moved to Bridgeport 2 years ago. No longer one of the most dangerous cities in the US. The West Side and East Side are being cleaned up, big time, along with the South Side.

Reaction Score
As much as I want to see Bridgeport and Hartford succeed, all games need to be played in Storrs. We should have a lively student section at all games, alumni should want to return to campus and recruits should see the benefits of our on-campus arena and other facilities.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom