Why doesn’t Jim Mora have a podcast | The Boneyard

Why doesn’t Jim Mora have a podcast

Reaction Score
Instead of a lame weekly radio show.

Do people still listen to the radio? No.

Do people listen to podcasts? Yes.

and if we must continue this antiquated practice of a radio show then just package it as an on demand podcast with the same sponsors. And they might actually reach more than a few hundred listeners.

Reaction Score
Always an open mic on The Connecticut Scoreboard Podcast for him! Enjoyed his first visit on back in June. Would love to have him on again

Reaction Score
I’d think there are still older fans that like radio but your idea to double it up as a podcast is a good one. I’d listen.

Reaction Score
What radio show are you talking about?
The Coaches Corner on 97-9 ESPN is on Apple podcasts.

Reaction Score
I’d think there are still older fans that like radio but your idea to double it up as a podcast is a good one. I’d listen.

Yeah, just need to show the olds how to access the podcasts.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Are these the ones you mean?

Spotify link.

They should promote it as a podcast first. Nothing wrong with broadcasting it live, but most people aren’t pausing what they’re doing for 15 minutes of UConn football coach.

Reaction Score
I’m old and still like listening to radio when driving in car and coaches show is on. I’ll listen to podcast otherwise.

Reaction Score
Are these the ones you mean?

That’s not quite what I am talking about.

Many schools have a weekly coaches show where they talk about the last game, next game the team and football in general.

It needs to be on apple podcasts or Spotify. Of course it could be on a dopey radio show but they will get more people to listen on a podcast formatZ

Reaction Score
Spotify link.

They should promote it as a podcast first. Nothing wrong with broadcasting it live, but most people aren’t pausing what they’re doing for 15 minutes of UConn football coach.

Needs to be on apple podcasts and Spotify.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Instead of a lame weekly radio show.

Do people still listen to the radio? No.

Do people listen to podcasts? Yes.

and if we must continue this antiquated practice of a radio show then just package it as an on demand podcast with the same sponsors. And they might actually reach more than a few hundred listeners.
I'm not going to argue the point of whether Mora should have a podcast. But I will argue your premise.

I don't have data for 2022, but according to Pew, in 2020 some 83% of Americans aged 12 or older listened to some radio during any given week. In 2021, only 41% listened to podcasts in a given month.

I take it as pretty much a given that people who listen to sports talk radio listen to it regularly. And the demographic of people who financially support the football program and attend games skews older.

Ergo, faulty premise.

Reaction Score
That’s not quite what I am talking about.

Many schools have a weekly coaches show where they talk about the last game, next game the team and football in general.

It needs to be on apple podcasts or Spotify. Of course it could be on a dopey radio show but they will get more people to listen on a podcast formatZ
It is on Apple podcasts and Spotify. It is a weekly coaches show where they talk about the last game, etc. I just checked Spotify and all of the shows from last year are there (with Lou Spanos) and a couple of shows with Jim Mora.

This tweet mentions the Varsity Network App for the podcast.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to argue the point of whether Mora should have a podcast. But I will argue your premise.

I don't have data for 2022, but according to Pew, in 2020 some 83% of Americans aged 12 or older listened to some radio during any given week. In 2021, only 41% listened to podcasts in a given month.

I take it as pretty much a given that people who listen to sports talk radio listen to it regularly. And the demographic of people who financially support the football program and attend games skews older.

Ergo, faulty premise.

Yeah. Maybe as white noise in the background.

People are listening to satellite or podcasts. They want to listen when they want to listen. They don’t want to be listening to the radio at 6 pm on Monday night.

They want to listen on the way to work on Tuesday morning in their car or on their own terms.

How you can believe otherwise just shows that you aren’t with it.

Reaction Score
It is on Apple podcasts and Spotify. It is a weekly coaches show where they talk about the last game, etc. I just checked Spotify and all of the shows from last year are there (with Lou Spanos) and a couple of shows with Jim Mora.

This tweet mentions the Varsity Network App for the podcast.

Here is the exact Apple link.

But this is not what I am talking about. These are just ten minute blurbs.

Big programs have a show that last about 40 minutes to an hour with commercials each week with the coach.

If we have that, great. If not then it needs to happen and it needs to advertised as available as a podcasts. Because radio is for 65 year old troglodytes.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yeah. Maybe as white noise in the background.

People are listening to satellite or podcasts. They want to listen when they want to listen. They don’t want to be listening to the radio at 6 pm on Monday night.

They want to listen on the way to work on Tuesday morning in their car or on their own terms.

How you can believe otherwise just shows that you aren’t with it.
And that has nothing to do with you framing your initial assumptions poorly. If you wanted to make a point of time-shifting in that post, then do that. Fact is, twice as many people listen to radio than podcasts, which is provable. And your argument started with the point that people don't listen to radio but they do podcasts.

Next time add whatever qualifiers you need to make your point when establishing your initial position. Again, I'm not arguing whether you're right or wrong, just that it was a poor start for making your point.

And as far as "troglodytes", guess which age group listens to radio the least of ages 18-34, 35-49, 50-65, or 65+.

Reaction Score
And that has nothing to do with you framing your initial assumptions poorly. If you wanted to make a point of time-shifting in that post, then do that. Fact is, twice as many people listen to radio than podcasts, which is provable. And your argument started with the point that people don't listen to radio but they do podcasts.

Next time add whatever qualifiers you need to make your point when establishing your initial position. Again, I'm not arguing whether you're right or wrong, just that it was a poor start for making your point.

And as far as "troglodytes", guess which age group listens to radio the least of ages 18-34, 35-49, 50-65, or 65+.

Do you still have OTA TV and meet up with your friends at McDonalds on weekday mornings? I bet you do.

The fact that you think Radio is still better is all I need to hear.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Do you still have OTA TV and meet up with your friends at McDonalds on weekday mornings? I bet you do.

The fact that you think Radio is still better is all I need to hear.
Where did "I think" come into this? I quoting actual data, fcs. I hope you're not a lawyer.

Ftr, other than live sports and Jeopardy (yeah, ok, that's oldish), I stream 90% of my viewing. I don't eat much fast food, and I would never consider moving into a retirement or over-55 community. I do drive a car that for bizarre reasons doesn't have an aux jack, but I do have a bluetooth device for listening to podcasts, although I no longer have many long trips these days.

As a side note, I was actually the first guest on the first podcast in my industry with the guy who created the first podcast conference, as at that time, I was pretty much the only guy in my industry talking about social media. As the mayhem guy in the ads says, it was heard by tens of tens, lol.

Reaction Score
Where did "I think" come into this? I quoting actual data, fcs. I hope you're not a lawyer.

Ftr, other than live sports and Jeopardy (yeah, ok, that's oldish), I stream 90% of my viewing. I don't eat much fast food, and I would never consider moving into a retirement or over-55 community. I do drive a car that for bizarre reasons doesn't have an aux jack, but I do have a bluetooth device for listening to podcasts, although I no longer have many long trips these days.

As a side note, I was actually the first guest on the first podcast in my industry with the guy who created the first podcast conference, as at that time, I was pretty much the only guy in my industry talking about social media. As the mayhem guy in the ads says, it was heard by tens of tens, lol.

Make sure you pick a station with traffic and weather together. Because it’s not like we have better ways to get that info now.

Your data is meaningless because just because 83% allegedly still listen doesn’t mean that hoping that your audience will tune in at 6pm on Monday night to listen to the show is a good strategy. It better be available as on demand on a major platform later. Better yet, record the podcast and put that on the radio.

Radio is just something people put on in their cars.

Podcasts get listened to deliberately. I’m thinking much bigger than you,

Don’t forget to pick up your newspaper from the driveway.

Aux Jack LOL

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Aux Jack LOL
It's a 2007 Hyundai. It's a great, low maintenance drive. I see no reason to ditch it anytime soon. For two model years they had a deal with XM, which eliminated the aux jack. I tried satellite radio and couldn't figure out why anyone would actually pay for it when one could stream podcasts or Pandora from a phone for free. Anyway, having the jack on that model would be preferable to bluetooth. But you disposable society/spoonfeed-me-everything types wouldn't understand such things.

Reaction Score
It's a 2007 Hyundai. It's a great, low maintenance drive. I see no reason to ditch it anytime soon. For two model years they had a deal with XM, which eliminated the aux jack. I tried satellite radio and couldn't figure out why anyone would actually pay for it when one could stream podcasts or Pandora from a phone for free. Anyway, having the jack on that model would be preferable to bluetooth. But you disposable society/spoonfeed-me-everything types wouldn't understand such things.

Radio sucks. I would stop short changing yourself.

It’s a great thing to be able to have choices.

Reaction Score
Big programs have a show that last about 40 minutes to an hour with commercials each week with the coach.

The on demand full version of tonight’s Coach’s Show is available here: The Varsity Network

1661301065004.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom