OT: - Why does soccer appeal | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Why does soccer appeal

Reaction Score
The fans won't come with.
Media deals will support the teams. That's what makes teams in the US so valuable, anyway. Not attendances. Hard to see how enough fans wouldn't say no to the best players in the world on those teams. I know some would jump ship and already have but time shall tell how things come to be. The Netherlands has a chance to fix up Ajax Amsterdam for the next round of a "super league". When they say the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, also applies to soccer teams.

Reaction Score
Pro/rel exists as a method to manage a large amount of professional teams. England has like 72 something professional teams in The Football League spread across 4 divisions.

Above that is Premier League, below it is the National League. Some of the National League is pro some are semi pro.

Counting football stadiums in Europe is like counting stars in the sky. The ESL was an attempt to basically disenfranchise every club in Europe from the top of the pyramid.

We don’t have pro/rel because our closed system stifled the growth of pro clubs in America. It’s basically a sterile cartel.
In hockey, baseball and, obviously, gridiron football, the monopolies here pay the most. Thus, the best talent. Your boys over in Europe have that in mind.

Edit: NBA also included. Heck, Beckham wanted a MLS franchise.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To the MLS’ own detriment. I love soccer, have 3 MLS teams 120 miles or less away from me and the only time I watch them is when they come to my home field. Why would I when my DVR has great games every week I can’t get to. But if my local squad had a fair shot to join the party, no matter how slim, my interest would grow overnight.

I have one with 35 miles and I haven’t gone in two years.

it’s not a bad time.

Reaction Score
The pyramid goes deeper. It's possible to go below 4th tier.

Take a look at what happened to minor league baseball here. Pretty ugly, isn't it?

Holy crap. Are you always this dense. I said it goes below the 4th division to the National League.

This is nothing like minor league baseball. These are functioning independent clubs that don’t rely on players and subsidies from big league clubs.

Clubs like Leeds were once the biggest in England. They went down and when they got their act together they came back.

Nottingham Forest was European Champions and they are a big club. But they aren’t in the Premier League.

The Lower Divisions are more like Independent League Baseball.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
My wife (double Pitt grad) has recently taken an interest as Pitt finds itself in the final four for the first time. I was trying to explain to her the value of watching it in person as you can better see plays develop and actually understand there is more to the game than simple reaction. Apparently there are only two cameras being used in the tourney (according to her) and one is a very wide shot of most of the field. After watching a couple of games she's starting to understand how plays develop and it's increasing her enjoyment.

Reaction Score
In hockey, baseball and, obviously, gridiron football, the monopolies here pay the most. Thus, the best talent. Your boys over in Europe have that in mind.

Edit: NBA also included. Heck, Beckham wanted a MLS franchise.

Beckham was promised a franchise as a part of his playing contract.

Only 4 clubs in Europe still want your stupid idea. If they try it again, the supporters will burn it all down.

First Division Clubs also pay the most. This is a moot point.

Reaction Score
Media deals will support the teams. That's what makes teams in the US so valuable, anyway. Not attendances. Hard to see how enough fans wouldn't say no to the best players in the world on those teams. I know some would jump ship and already have but time shall tell how things come to be. The Netherlands has a chance to fix up Ajax Amsterdam for the next round of a "super league". When they say the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, also applies to soccer teams.

There won’t be another round.

Supporters pay the bills. They buy the shirts.

Reaction Score
Holy crap. Are you always this dense. I said it goes below the 4th division to the National League.

This is nothing like minor league baseball. These are functioning independent clubs that don’t rely on players and subsidies from big league clubs.

Clubs like Leeds were once the biggest in England. They went down and when they got their act together they came back.

Nottingham Forest was European Champions and they are a big club. But they aren’t in the Premier League.

The Lower Divisions are more like Independent League Baseball.
You're telling me I am dense? Given your Cesspool history, you don't have much ground to stand on.

It's called reading rapidly, not caring too much, so I can miss an insinuated detail and did see it when I looked back. Maybe you should get more riled up about human rights violations in a meaningful manner.

The non Super League teams WOULD be mostly a minor league as much of it is, despite what you say. Did you know the PCL intended to become a third major league in baseball? Where is it now? A memory.

Reaction Score
You're telling me I am dense? Given your Cesspool history, you don't have much ground to stand on.

It's called reading rapidly, not caring too much, so I can miss an insinuated detail and did see it when I looked back. Maybe you should get more riled up about human rights violations in a meaningful manner.

The non Super League teams WOULD be mostly a minor league as much of it is, despite what you say. Did you know the PCL intended to become a third major league in baseball? Where is it now? A memory.

Cesspool history? Lol.

The Super League would have been an inferior version of the Champions.

All of those teams would still compete in their domestic leagues.

Pssst. Fans really don’t care as much for the Champions League. Those matches often lack juice and there are tons of empty seats.

League is where it is at. This is what you don’t understand. Your opinion is meaningless because you don’t understand the culture.

Reaction Score
Cesspool history? Lol.

The Super League would have been an inferior version of the Champions.

All of those teams would still compete in their domestic leagues.

Pssst. Fans really don’t care as much for the Champions League. Those matches often lack juice and there are tons of empty seats.

League is where it is at. This is what you don’t understand. Your opinion is meaningless because you don’t understand the culture.
Of course my opinion is meaningless, because the elite shape cultures, if you can't tell.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if teams leave their domestic circuits down the road in favor of a continental league. Less likely to have empty seats, by then.

By the way, my bro does soccer tourism in Europe.

Reaction Score
Man City has just 1 actual shot on goal for the UCL final. Chelsea has 2. So hip, dude. I feel for Europeans. They need some exposure to variety. Sells well in hockey or basketball mad Euro countries. 3 shots on goal between 2 teams in 84 minutes and I get told rugby sucks.

The KHL is the second best hockey league in the world, not the AHL.

Reaction Score
So cool to be a Chelsea fan right now. Better load up on merch.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Man City has just 1 actual shot on goal for the UCL final. Chelsea has 2. So hip, dude. I feel for Europeans. They need some exposure to variety. Sells well in hockey or basketball mad Euro countries. 3 shots on goal between 2 teams in 84 minutes and I get told rugby sucks.

When the first few answers from honest soccerheads give you the stimulating detail of "always end on time," that's all you need to know.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Not only does rugby suck, it blows. And the KHL is like the MLS. It's where old-timers go when they're washed. The AHL is where those just outside the top league play.

Reaction Score

Watched the game on your phone from the Rent?

Reaction Score
Not only does rugby suck, it blows. And the KHL is like the MLS. It's where old-timers go when they're washed. The AHL is where those just outside the top league play.

Nobody knows the rules to Rugby and Cricket. Some games take two hours and others take a week. I don’t get it. And the sport isn’t appealing enough for me to want to learn the rules.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nobody knows the rules to Rugby and Cricket. Some games take two hours and others take a week. I don’t get it. And the sport isn’t appealing enough for me to want to learn the rules.
I got into cricket a bit when I visited Australia. It's the ambient music of sports. I'm watching Sri Lanka v Bangladesh as we speak.

Reaction Score
I got into cricket a bit when I visited Australia. It's the ambient music of sports. I'm watching Sri Lanka v Bangladesh as we speak.

I tried to get into it during the World Cup in 2016. I watched some with my Afghan friends. It didn’t get traction with me.

Reaction Score
Rather watch a game where people actually score or get somewhere, than sing songs the whole game, waiting for a shot on goal. So much talent.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Rather watch a game where people actually score or get somewhere, than sing songs the whole game, waiting for a shot on goal. So much talent.
You might be happy to know that the Dillon Stadium turf is certified for international rugby. The team made a conscious decision to pay the extra cash to make it soccer and rugby compliant. But rugby sucks so bad they haven't been able get any rugby interest from the community. Maybe you could put that on your list after you bring women's soccer to Bridgeport.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom