OT: - Why does soccer appeal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Why does soccer appeal

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
What I like:
  • 2 hour games, with very limited interruption (injuries, video review).
  • The fitness and athleticism of the players over the 2 hours is incredible.
  • As was mentioned above, I also find the passing accuracy is freaking ridiculous and beautiful to watch.
  • Without a doubt, the most incredible thing about any soccer game is the PASSION OF THE FANS.
I agree with all your likes. But I do have one major problem with the sport. The dives, over-reactions and complaining need to be sorted. I believe that all games should be reviewed afterwards for evidence of diving/simulation. I would be all for a post game yellow card. It's the only thing that diminishes the enjoyment of the game for me.
I'd love to hear Bruins' announcer Jack Edwards yelling "Get up!".

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I enjoy watching rugby, but have absolutely 0 understanding of the game. I only understand scoring and that's it. It's similar to watching UConn women's field hockey on the rare times it's on TV. I understand scoring a goal and not another thing.

Same. Have tried. Have tried with Australian rules football too. I don't get it. The scrums, when there is one, why there is one. I simply don't get it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As was mentioned above, I also find the passing accuracy is freaking ridiculous and beautiful to watch.
And they way top guys can catch/trap those passes as if they are wearing gloves always impresses. It's one thing to receive a nice pass on the ground, another to have a screamer come in three feet off the ground and see the player take it to the pitch with ease.

Last edited:

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Same. Have tried. Have tried with Australian rules football too. I don't get it. The scrums, when there is one, why there is one. I simply don't get it.
I enjoy that sport too. Same thing, no understanding. I guess there's enough action that I don't have to know.

Reaction Score
Rugby and American football have a lot of similarities.

Waquoit, rugby games have a lot more action than soccer! There was a 1 point World Cup final between New Zealand and France not long ago. Epic game. Ended 8-7, New Zealand, I think.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I played soccer but never beyond middle school (like many youth). Really got into it when I played FIFA years ago and then went to a a game while in Swansea back in 2010. Been a fan ever since. The game is just amazing and a joy to watch. Like others have said, the fans alone make every game so intense due to their passion. You can be playing the last team in your league and yet everyone is chanting, cheering, singing, and carrying on. It's unreal.

The fact that every game matters also makes soccer more interesting. Whether your team is involved or not in the promotion/relegation race, it's still something to love and follow in the last few weeks of the season. Teams at the bottom are legitimately fighting for their survival due to the financial implications and prestige.

The transfer window is something that is exciting and for fans outside of the Big 5 in English soccer, can be a period of nervousness for losing your best player.

Almost every game can change at any point. Games are usually separated by a goal and the other team can change that lead at any point. So you are constantly on edge that your opponent will level or your own team will level the score. Stoppage time can be nerve wracking for many reasons.

Finally, the games go for 2 hours and then they are over. No hours of games due to commercials.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Almost every game can change at any point. Games are usually separated by a goal and the other team can change that lead at any point. So you are constantly on edge that your opponent will level or your own team will level the score. Stoppage time can be nerve wracking for many reasons.
That's an important point and one I didn't appreciate until I became more of a fans. Just to give you a negative example, I'm at the Hartford Athletic playoff game and it's 0-0 in stoppage time. We're thinking our team looks fitter, we can win this in OT. Just then the ref misses a handball and the other team scores. Season over.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i played futbol in hs for a nationally ranked team. my position was to make sure that the last seat on the bench was kept adequately warmed. i played rugby in college. my position was to organize the snacks for the campus legendary after parties. those soirées were the reason why i went out for the team. my college crew experience ended after multiple times of rowing the charles on another frozen, sideways ice crystals blowin, ridiculously cold march day. at 7 am. 'i should be back at the dorm, in my jammies.' mebbe it's different where you can row and not have every exhale turn into ice cubes, idk.
rugby was by far the funnest to actually play. 'hey cliffy, we're ahead by a ton, so get out there and hit someone, but don't get injured. that guac you make is a fan favorite.' i highly enjoyed that conga line we'd do after some parties, out in street, where we'd drop our shorts, and one hand reached thru our 5 hole to grasp the hand of a teammate behind, while the other hand grabbed the hand of one in front. i think we called it 'the elephant walk.'
last in line, with no mate behind to shake hands with, was the 'bad' slot, cuz if you used ur other hand to cover ur junk, then more penalties would follow.
futbol afters are lame. what's the biggie there, wearing ur undies turned inside out, on ur head, if ur mates decided that u had a lousy match?
i always seemed to be stuck with a clipboard those days. lesson? don't be 'clipboard dude' for any group, unless they have great parties.

Reaction Score
Nothing more blood pressure raising than a corner or free kick in the last 5 minutes of a game when you're level or up by a goal.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I highly doubt that. Balancing a ball with everything but your hands. Big whoop. We used to hacky sack as kids.
It takes years to become a decent soccer player. For rugby, it just takes beers.

Reaction Score
It takes years to become a decent soccer player. For rugby, it just takes beers.
Which rugby? Regardless, it’s comical to contend good class pro-level ruggers of each category and particularly top class pros and national team players are not exceptionally athletic. Never been to a good quality game yet?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Which rugby? Regardless, it’s comical to contend good class pro-level ruggers of each category and particularly top class pros and national team players are not exceptionally athletic. Never been to a good quality game yet?
Never will. I feel about rugby the way many feel about soccer. And I didn't say anything about rugby athleticism, I said the skill required doesn't come close to soccer.

Reaction Score
I grew up playing (through high school), but never watching other than a Cosmos game or two when I was very young. It was hard to watch in the 80s/90s. Here are a few things I love/don't love.

What I like/love:
  • Simplicity of the game. There is a ton going on, but in the end, it's a bunch of guys trying to kick a ball into a goal.
  • It's a team sport in every sense, but it also allows for beautiful individual play. When you see that player, they're just different. They move different than everyone else, the ball sounds different off their foot.
  • Diversity of body type: Anyone can play. You can have tiny freaks and giant freaks. And everything in between.
  • Access: It costs nothing to play. It's even cheaper than basketball because you don't need a hoop. Sure, rich kids get nicer stuff and probably more consistent training, but there is a competitive team for any kid. Just show up with a pair of cleats that you can get cheap, cheap shin guards, and you're good to go. My kids play for a small town club and They've smoked some teams where the parents pay thousands. They've also been smoked by teams that show up with a hodge podge of used uniforms. We can argue over our "pay to play" system, but any kid can find a competitive club.
  • Relegation and promotion. Would love to see it in some US leagues. Would even be great for college sports (BC would be relegated to League Two).
  • New tv access. I love that there are games on most weekend mornings. My son and I started watching when he was little and would wake up early. Now I watch during morning workouts.
Things I don't love:
  • The diving.
  • Excessive time wasting.
  • Racism. But I think that is just a reflection of the countries where the players come from and the team's play. Still scary to see sometimes.

Reaction Score
Yes! And momentum is huge!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That's an important point and one I didn't appreciate until I became more of a fans. Just to give you a negative example, I'm at the Hartford Athletic playoff game and it's 0-0 in stoppage time. We're thinking our team looks fitter, we can win this in OT. Just then the ref misses a handball and the other team scores. Season over.

You just described almost every UConn soccer playoff loss back in the day. We would somehow dominate possession, corners, shots, everything, and still lose.

So I guess one thing I would say about soccer is that the best team doesn't always win.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The favorite just lost the Super Bowl.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But the team that dominated play didn't.
But in my example neither team dominated play, it was just that one team looked less gassed late. My point was that it was so abrupt. For some reason you made it about dominating.

Reaction Score
Who recommends turf shoes and who recommends firm ground shoes when playing on artificial grass? I'm talking about the outdoor longer grass, not the indoor artificial turf.

Just got back into soccer after laying off a few years. I had bought a pair of Adidas Team Mundial Turf Shoes because they were more comfortable and had more cushion even though I was still playing on grass. These are the turf shoes with the many small rubber studs. I don't think they are as good for power but high performance isn't exactly critical. Now the games are played on artificial grass and I think the turf shoes are still fine. I find that they sometimes have too much traction as the souls will really grip the grass when you are trying to pass and your foot drags a little too low. I think most players use the firm ground shoes with the longer studs on artificial grass.

UCONN Soccer was such a huge draw in the '80's and such a unique UCONN experience.

Reaction Score
Who recommends turf shoes and who recommends firm ground shoes when playing on artificial grass? I'm talking about the outdoor longer grass, not the indoor artificial turf.

Just got back into soccer after laying off a few years. I had bought a pair of Adidas Team Mundial Turf Shoes because they were more comfortable and had more cushion even though I was still playing on grass. These are the turf shoes with the many small rubber studs. I don't think they are as good for power but high performance isn't exactly critical. Now the games are played on artificial grass and I think the turf shoes are still fine. I find that they sometimes have too much traction as the souls will really grip the grass when you are trying to pass and your foot drags a little too low. I think most players use the firm ground shoes with the longer studs on artificial grass.

UCONN Soccer was such a huge draw in the '80's and such a unique UCONN experience.
My kids and their teammates all play in hard ground cleats on the artificial grass. Their trainers recommend them also. I think old school turf shoes are ok when the artificial grass is dry, but are bad when it’s wet. Make sure you take them off outside and shake out the rubber bits!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom