Why does Diaco coach scared? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why does Diaco coach scared?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't think he coaches scared. At this point I don't think his in game coaching is even mediocre. Hope the light goes on.

Reaction Score
I think part of the conservatism comes from having a QB that can't throw.

Has to be part of it. Toss in a lack of explosiveness and he probably thinks this is the best route to go with...but I don't think that works out in the long run. You can't be afraid of ever making a mistake as that just kills a team.

Reaction Score
He is conservative because he doesn't have the talent to open up the offense.

Reaction Score

We got Newsome and Thomas. We can make some short safe throws and get them in space. We are not even doing that. We got to throw it downfield once in a while just to keep the D honest. Teams gonna stack the box and dare us to throw. We can throw in some play action once in a while just to throw them off.

Reaction Score
Honestly, his style of coaching doesnt fit the B12 offensively

Reaction Score
I'll admit I wanted to see Houston get throttled. Now given the fact that they've made their point regardless of the outcome we'd better start looking in the mirror regarding the stale excuse for an offense our staff has implemented. This can work in our favor IF we show up with some confidence and a plan that takes advantage of the weapons we have. We can give Houston a game primarily because even a great player like Ward takes a few hits over time.

Teams from all parts of the country have shown an offense doesn't have to be an exercise in running clock and hoping for a mistake by the opposition. On top of that we play maybe 2 bad weather games a year. How about preparing to be the best possible offense for the other 10 and adjusting for the 2 instead of this throwback dream in HCBD's head. 15k diehards in the stands isn't going to cut it.

Reaction Score

UConn might not be loaded with ESPN Top 300 talent, but they have enough talent in their skill positions to at least get by with a halfway ambitious offense (if they dared to do so).

And their defense should be playing like bullies. I'm about done with "bend/don't break."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's hard to believe they don't have the talent to open up a little against teams like Maine. The most innovative offenses in the last 50 years have been all about maximizing the talent you have, not complaining about what you don't have. West coast offense was created because the Bengals QB (Virgil Carter I think) had no arm. The Delaware Wing T allowed undersized lineman to use misdirection and angles to open holes. You all know what the service academies run and why. Guys like June Jones might not win the national championship but his teams would be fun to watch. The Maine game was like watching a sandlot game. Just hike it to the QB and let him run around. BS, Thomas, Newsome and Johnson are all decent players. We should be able to do more.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Agree. He is extremely risk avoidant. I was thinking about why he is this way and the only answer I could come up with is he is developing a long term strategy that keeps all games close, within striking distance. He believes that this is the best shot at winning. That is why he is emphasizing closing at the end of games so much. With him it's all about, old fashioned smash mouth, defensive oriented, ball control, clock chewing football - the antithesis of up tempo run and shoot. I don't think you will see Diaco at Foxwoods at the crap table any day soon. Crazy thing is this team will win more this year and probably go to a bowl game. This team will not win many style points. They win ugly and are blue collar all the way. Where the lack of confidence comes into play is he doesn't seem to feel we can win against, Houston, Cincy, VA, BC, USF, etc without controlling the tempo of the game with a run oriented approach. The team seems to have bought into this philosophy.

I am all for the blue collar grind it out, smash them in the mouth and ram it down their throat style of play but (as of now) we dont have the personnel for that to be a successful. our OL couldn't even push UMaine around what do you think will happen when we run into some serious front sevens? I really hope im wrong and I will gladly eat humble pie if it does.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
What a difference between us plodders and the rebuilding SMU team against North Texas last night. SMU attacked with a fast paced offense.

Plodding is ok if you consistently win. Plodding is college football death if you struggle.

Reaction Score
What a difference between us plodders and the rebuilding SMU team against North Texas last night. SMU attacked with a fast paced offense.

Plodding is ok if you consistently win. Plodding is college football death if you struggle.
And the fact that I saw last night was that most of the AAC teams looked a lot better than UConn does.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It's not bad he coaches "scared." I'm far more concerned he coaches conservatively for 59:58 every game then busts out some ridiculous play seemingly just to keep people from saying he coaches too conservatively. I recall 2 of these plays working. The fake punt vs Mizzou and obviously the h-back pass vs UH.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've seen enough to come to the conclusion that he is coaching exactly how he wants to coach. He's picked all his assistants from a pool he is fami with, he hasn't taken over the offensive play calling 'cause he doesn't like it, he's a 2 time Big10 defensive 1st team player so he knows what it takes to get stops, he works from 4:30am to 10:30pm during fall camp - unless he is a complete idiot he sees what is going on. His team will do the basics better than anyone else and that will keep the game close 'til the 4th qtr. where superior execution of the basics and superior physical stamina will win most games. It's a bonus if other team is reckless and gives UConn a chance to jump on them early but UConn will grind it out from the 1st play.
Interesting perspective, and likely the correct one. Here's the thing, he does take some shots, there aren't all that many though. I wonder what people would be saying about him if those dropped passes, or passes thrown behind the receiver connected?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
There are plenty of MAC teams and Sun Belt teams with less talent that find a way to open up the offense. UConn doesn't open up the offense because BD doesn't want to. BD doesn't coach scared but he definitely is afraid of turnovers.

Reaction Score
There are plenty of MAC teams and Sun Belt teams with less talent that find a way to open up the offense. UConn doesn't open up the offense because BD doesn't want to. BD doesn't coach scared but he definitely is afraid of turnovers.

And the fear of turnovers is not a rationale for cutting the field that the opposition needs to defend by 2/3.

Reaction Score
Gary Patterson at TCU has a ground and pound offense when they were invited into the Big XII. Look at them now. A few years of Big XII recruiting helped
So your saying if we get into the B12 we'll develop a more consistent passing game, not to mention a more exciting offense?

Reaction Score

And he won't . . . ever . . . with that approach. Kids with play making skills coming out of high school aren't gonna want to come to UConn to be part of a unit (the offense) that functions primarily to give the defense a break on the sideline.

Reaction Score
And he won't . . . ever . . . with that approach. Kids with play making skills coming out of high school aren't gonna want to come to UConn to be part of a unit (the offense) that functions primarily to give the defense a break on the sideline.

Wouldn't be shocked to see receivers transfer out either considering we only throw to 1 or 2 per game.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Wouldn't be shocked to see receivers transfer out either considering we only throw to 1 or 2 per game.

Okay, I was pretty critical of Thursday's performance but I think this is too much after one game.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Okay, I was pretty critical of Thursday's performance but I think this is too much after one game.

NO! TOO MUCH IS NOT A THING HERE ON THE BY! lol but yes hopefully our O is not as anemic on sat as it was against maine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom