Why do we not push for Lacrosse moving to D1 | The Boneyard

Why do we not push for Lacrosse moving to D1

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
I met with Warde about this in 2011, and the sentiment up top seemed to be very meh. Spent the weekend with a lot of different lacrosse families (friends & others participating at Gillette in the Final Four). Connecticut is a lacrosse hotbed and it's another sport that the B1G needs teams for.

It makes so much sense for us. I understand Title IX would force us to create another Woman's sport - but we'd get good quick, in a similar form to the growth of our Hockey team in the Hockey East. Connecticut has untapped potential - similar to the growth I've seen from Ohio State (who just lost in the final today).

Reaction Score
Short answer: $$$$$$$

Benedict has talked about this before publicly (on WTIC at least once) and it all comes down to self sufficient funding/fundraising for 12.6 scholarships (it's an equivalency sport) and annual operating costs in a challenging revenue environment.

Here's another few threads/discussions on the same subject for your reading enjoyment: OT - Connecticut Lacrosse

Last edited:

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
My son (9 yr old) just started playing lacrosse here in Jacksonville, FL. It is becoming very popular down here. His coach is a very experienced former college/pro player and college coach from Philadelphia and we got to talking about UConn lacrosse, as I am always wearing my UConn gear :), and he concurred that they are a sleeping giant on the national lacrosse scene and when and if they do go D1 they will be very good very fast. He still can't believe that a major university like UConn, in that area they are, doesn't have a D1 team.

Reaction Score
I think UConn lacrosse would be a top ranked team Florida is becoming a lacrosse hotbed, so I think you might see USF with a team soon..

Reaction Score
Which sports would you like to get rid of first for this to happen?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom